Newbe class 2 driver

hi, everybody im a newbe to hgv . i’ve just passed my class 2 :smiley: . can anyone help me as im strukling to find work due to experiance has anyone got any tips on trucking and anyone owe takes newbes .thanks

congratulations on passing your class 2 !!

What area do you live in ?

The thing is buddy at the monment hgv work is very tight so the employer has the upper hand. He can have the pick of the litter so you mite have to put your driving career on hold until the market picks right up. Sorry i cant give your positive advice but you could keep trying agencies and live in hope. Good luck :wink: :wink:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome new2trucking27 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

:smiley: :smiley:

Did you have to do the initial driver cpc :question:

All the LGV C+E TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
However, many newbies on this site have recently secured permanent full time C+E employment :smiley:
A read of THIS POST may also be useful.

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Agency Agency Agency! Its a great time to get agency work, when you get an assignment go there, do the best you can, ask all the questions you need to to do the job as well as you can and be a complete driving ■■■■■. Someone will notice and you may get a job out of it, if not now, maybe in the future. If theres no work where you’re assignment is, someone may have contacts, ask everyone!

Honestly you are in a very competitive market so the more you market yourself the better chance you have.

The work is out there chap, despite what many gloom mongers may say. I’ve recently walked out of a bad job with no idea where the next pay packet was coming from, only to walk straight into another, albeit equally as bad, job.

Your lack of LGV experience is always going to be a handicap & today you’re competing for jobs with some very experienced & proven drivers, guess who’ll get the job !

IME the standard requirement a good employer is looking for is 2yrs experience minimum, this is because a good employer is paying for a standard insurance policy on his fleet. It’s a condition of their insurance NOT a personal preferance. Some employers pay a premium to be able to employ less than 2yrs experience, more than 6 points & even DR10’s, these are employers who need to attract ANY driver not just the good one’s. IME you don’t really want to work for these people, unless you desperately want to gain 2yrs experience !

If you have an LGV C then aim for the van or 7.5t jobs with good employers, your LGV C should put you up at the top of list of the 100’s who seem to apply for this type of job & if they run anything over 7.5t then I’m sure that you’ll soon be climbing into the cab of a truck where you rightfully belong.

Good luck.

Chas:
The work is out there chap, despite what many gloom mongers may say. I’ve recently walked out of a bad job with no idea where the next pay packet was coming from, only to walk straight into another, albeit equally as bad, job.

Your lack of LGV experience is always going to be a handicap & today you’re competing for jobs with some very experienced & proven drivers, guess who’ll get the job !

IME the standard requirement a good employer is looking for is 2yrs experience minimum, this is because a good employer is paying for a standard insurance policy on his fleet. It’s a condition of their insurance NOT a personal preferance. Some employers pay a premium to be able to employ less than 2yrs experience, more than 6 points & even DR10’s, these are employers who need to attract ANY driver not just the good one’s. IME you don’t really want to work for these people, unless you desperately want to gain 2yrs experience !

If you have an LGV C then aim for the van or 7.5t jobs with good employers, your LGV C should put you up at the top of list of the 100’s who seem to apply for this type of job & if they run anything over 7.5t then I’m sure that you’ll soon be climbing into the cab of a truck where you rightfully belong.

Good luck.

That all sounds like exactly the type of advice I was given when I started out at 21 and I took a job on the council because their insurance policy covered young drivers.But the reality was that drivers who came into the industry after I did ended up on better work than I did.It’s a lottery and you won’t help your chances by driving vans or 7.5 tonners.Even on that council job I was driving at best 24 tonner Gritters and then I found a job on uk night trunking on artics and wagon and drags when I got my class 1 at 25 and that’s where I had to stay because no further opportunities came my way while newer drivers were lucky enough to get on international work.Do everything you can to become an owner driver as soon as possible.

Carryfast:

Chas:

Good luck.

That all sounds like exactly the type of advice I was given when I started out at 21 and I took a job on the council because their insurance policy covered young drivers.But the reality was that drivers who came into the industry after I did ended up on better work than I did.It’s a lottery and you won’t help your chances by driving vans or 7.5 tonners.Even on that council job I was driving at best 24 tonner Gritters and then I found a job on uk night trunking on artics and wagon and drags when I got my class 1 at 25 and that’s where I had to stay because no further opportunities came my way while newer drivers were lucky enough to get on international work.Do everything you can to become an owner driver as soon as possible.

just keep pushing “keep on keeping on” thats a quote from an old fella called tim paisley if you aint a fisherman you,d never of heard of him but it still stands do,nt give up with the right attitude you can go where you want to go .Yeah it,s harder at the moment but everyone loves a tryer good luck son you,ll need it but do,nt give up!!!

n17 trucker:

Carryfast:

Chas:

Good luck.

just keep pushing “keep on keeping on” thats a quote from an old fella called tim paisley if you aint a fisherman you,d never of heard of him but it still stands do,nt give up with the right attitude you can go where you want to go .Yeah it,s harder at the moment but everyone loves a tryer good luck son you,ll need it but do,nt give up!!!

In my case my back gave up long before I did 10 years ago when I was 40 after 15 years on that night trunking job.My biggest regret was not trying to start up as an owner driver doing international,or being able to try working in Canada etc because of their immigration regs back then,when I was younger and a new driver instead of trying to work my way up through the ranks.But the problem is it takes more than luck and the right attitude but it’s probably worth it if you can make it work and depending where you want your career to go.

As others have said, Agency work is a good place to start and it will allow you to build up driving experience. As most agencies have varied clients on their books, it will also allow you to experience all kinds of driving and that will allow you to decide what type of driving work you prefer. Personally speaking, I hate doing food deliveries, especially on multi drop and I won’t do that kind of work. You may find that you dislike something else, but agency work will give you variety in the meantime.

No jobs mate, sell your licence and go on teh dole… :laughing:

Joke… You just have to do teh usual, phone companies, sign up with agencys, look on websites etc…