New c/e driver unwanted

Think i have wasted my money doing my hgv c/e,everybody want’s experience witch i can understand. just don’t know how you get a start. they say it is an insurance problem, is this true. :cry:

It’s a game of persistence mate, you’ve just gotta keep knocking on doors and making phone calls. I was in the exact same position a few years ago and it done my head in. In the end I took some class 2 work and harassed the transport manager every other day to get me assessed on the artics, after a couple of months he seen I could be trusted he gave me my chance in the artics and I’ve never looked back since.

It took me 3 months to get my chance, so don’t give up.

Work for a firm that has both artics and rigids. Start on the rigids and as sure as ■■■■ stinks there will come a day when an artic driver goes sick/has holiday/jacks etc and the management in their desperation will forgot all this insurance malarkey and you will get asked to step in

Thanks alot chaps do you think i will get on the class 2 ok.

sweeper1gg:
Thanks alot chaps do you think i will get on the class 2 ok.

Should do, how long have you had class 2■■

i did both courses together so about two months.

sweeper1gg:
i did both courses together so about two months.

You might get the same trying for class 2 work as well.

Where are you based?? Try manpower, local stobart depot if there is one.

How are you going about contacting and applying for these jobs and who have you approached?

Don’t give up mate, you could try searching on Google maps for haulage/logistic companies and just send as many CVs with a cover letter as you can. It does get tedious but it’s definitely a good time of year for a newly passed driver I think.

Good luck pal

Agencies are the usual route in. Coming up to Xmas they’ll be wanting drivers.

If you do decide to give up don’t be too upset/hung up about it, others out there have sacrificed & lost way more than the cost of getting your hgv licences-life goes on…

The insurance excuse is just a smoke screen, if they really wanted you they’d set you on irregardless of age, experience, ■■■, race etc…

Conor:
Agencies are the usual route in. Coming up to Xmas they’ll be wanting drivers.

+1 about the best chance of getting artic work+experience Plenty of supermarket store delivery work on agencies or there used to be, which can be good experience for you, and if your gonna (zb) up (have any minor scrapes ) and i hope you don’t BTW better to do it whilst working for an agency than when in a full time job,

So you got your ticket well done … didn’t you know it was gonna be hard to get your foot in the door ■■?

It’s not the fact insurance companies won’t insure you its the cost of it that’s the problem .

Look at it another way 18 year old boy passes his car test and wants to drive a Ferrari … it’s not no insurance its the cost …

Good luck something will turn up

Sign on with an agency. That’s how I started with no experience, albeit 15 years ago. I passed my C+E on Monday and on Tuesday I was driving an artic. Good luck!

I have applied for about 25 jobs 3 replies via phone call asking how long i have had the licence, then they said our insurance will not allow but we will keep you on record. :frowning:
but i knew it would be hard to get a start because they are a big dangerous machine’s, so its a risk for them that they don’t need. so anyhow i have just joined best connection and driver hire, and just keep applying, thanks for the advise i will keep you updated. :wink:

It takes a while but its worth it in the end. We have all been there, and others will follow so it just a question of biding your time. In a few weeks it could all change…

Depending were you live of course but agency work is by far the quickest route in to get a start.
I recommend night trunking to get you started if you’ve any choice.
Store delivery work is starting to increase with the coming of the annual festival of stupidity

sweeper1gg:
I have applied for about 25 jobs 3 replies via phone call asking how long i have had the licence, then they said our insurance will not allow but we will keep you on record. :frowning:
but i knew it would be hard to get a start because they are a big dangerous machine’s, so its a risk for them that they don’t need. so anyhow i have just joined best connection and driver hire, and just keep applying, thanks for the advise i will keep you updated. :wink:

Have you tried Stobarts they take newly qualified drivers.

Or start praying for a lot of white stuff falling from the sky , keep your driveway clear and you’ll get plenty of work