New c/e driver unwanted

got my start with trade plating delivering new units I did that for a couple of weeks and asked at the places I was delivering to im sure you will be ok it was the same for all of us at one time or another … good look .

Try Turners mate, they took me on with a little bit of class 2 experiance, now on artic work since July. Good luck mate.

You chaps are all top notch on here you guys have gave me a boost. :wink:

mfm:

sweeper1gg:
I have applied for about 25 jobs 3 replies via phone call asking how long i have had the licence, then they said our insurance will not allow but we will keep you on record. :frowning:
but i knew it would be hard to get a start because they are a big dangerous machine’s, so its a risk for them that they don’t need. so anyhow i have just joined best connection and driver hire, and just keep applying, thanks for the advise i will keep you updated. :wink:

Have you tried Stobarts they take newly qualified drivers.

Just applied, thanks for your advise :wink:

also Royal Mail take on newly qualifieds. Try Manpower and PerTemps for RM work, and they’ll be crying out for drivers with Christmas approaching. Good luck.

Where are you based?

preston, lanc’s

Cant offer any specific advice then but as someone who has recently been where you are now I would just say, the bigger the better. Larger hauliers tend to have schemes in place to bring in promising but inexperienced drivers and can carry a risk that a smaller fleet cant.

nsmith1180:
Cant offer any specific advice then but as someone who has recently been where you are now I would just say, the bigger the better. Larger hauliers tend to have schemes in place to bring in promising but inexperienced drivers and can carry a risk that a smaller fleet cant.

Total bull… a large firm worry about hse , red tape and image so they tend not to take on new drivers . However smaller companies only worry aboyt getting the job done.

Whirlwind:

nsmith1180:

Total bull… a large firm worry about hse , red tape and image so they tend not to take on new drivers . However smaller companies only worry aboyt getting the job done.

So why then was the only company in Bedfordshire that would even talk to me when I first passed Norbert Dentressangle. They are only the third largest in Europe though, so you may classify them as a smaller company I suppose.

^^^^^^^^^^
I applied to them a couple of yrs back and got a letter back saying im not what they are looking for ? 15yrs uk and European experience and a clean licence referances from 10 yrs ■■? I still never found out what it was they were looking for…

Try Turners.Very large fleet.Fridge work.Flat bed work and cement tankers or bulk liquids/foods.
Widowson ltd take on new drivers.
Stan Robinson ltd.
Jack Richards ltd.
Place a free advert in the truck magazines offering your services.I got three good offers from that.
Try the Vosa website to locate firms or owner drivers in the area.
It is the applications/decisions web site for O licences.
Go to Companies House website to find firms that have gone under and put on the CV you worked there and make up a false phone number.
It is a white lie but all applicants after jobs stretch the truth a bit.
If there are transport cafes or truck stops nearby place your advert there.

Hey sweeper1gg,

Persistence bud is the only way, I only wanted to do one certain sector of driving, so I reduced my chances even more than you! :imp:

It took me nearly a year to get my chance in what I would like to try and do properly. That and going out with a extremely respected plant hire driver on here for free, during my free time from my other job.

Every time I went out I was given lots of hints and tips of how to do things, using his experience and descriptions of how to overcome pitfalls that he had found in his time.

I was given my first chance by a company I had applied to back in March and continually going back every 2-3 weeks to see if there was an opening coming up! They then called me out of the blue to say they wanted to put a new lorry on the road, was I interested :smiling_imp:

Just serving my notice period and will be starting as newbie in that sector even though I’ve played with Class 2 for nearly 7 years on the weekends.

I’d applied to four other companies in the same sector, one refused, two invitied me for an interview and one I never heard back from no mattter how much I chased them.

I’ve got my C+E entitlement as of Thursday, most probably won’t use it, but if the opportunity arises, I shall do it to aid the company I’m joining.

You’ll see that most on here persevere and do get the start in the end, but it can take weeks or in my case months!!! :open_mouth:

Hope we can pick your confidence up and say you will do it. As I do know how the knockbacks hit your confidence, been there done that like lots on here do, but it will change with time.

Let us know how you get on.

C

Thanks again, i will just keep trying

Try huntapak at Tarleton

Try Adr network warrington mate

Stay away from agencies.

sweeper1gg:
Think i have wasted my money doing my hgv c/e,everybody want’s experience witch i can understand. just don’t know how you get a start. they say it is an insurance problem, is this true. :cry:

its not a waste of money its the fact you havent/arent doing enough get out knock doors visit places hand cvs out in person

you weren’t dumb enough to believe those adverts that say 'driver shortage’and all that crap! those people should be fined for placing fake adverts!

I was made redundant so the pittance i got i chucked into HGV as im not one for working in an office or a till.
worked outside all my life but getting a little older now, and the trucks look like you can survive on the wage,s with everything going up. :unamused: