new truck

They may be expensive but I’ve done half a million miles in a 5 year old v8 Scania from new, the only things that have gone wrong with it that weren’t my fault have been the steering linkage arm that connects the wheels needed replacing due to play or some such, an electric sun roof motor and a hall sensor for the opticruise gear box, which was admitedly about £800 but not too bad in 5 years, a cluth at about 450,000 miles as well.

Thank you for all your replies, I spent all Sunday going over the figures time and time again. I studied the quote and made a few alterations which I wanted to see the salesman about and to see if he would move on the trade in price. As you know I was ready to phone him today. Then fate took a turn, on the way to Swindon the traffic planner phoned up to say that there was no job for tomorrow so that one phone call totally made up my mind. The truck stays and no call to the salesman. The truck will now have a new set of tyres next month after I pay tax, VAT and road tax this month. Tomorrow morning me and my dog will be walking round on our three mile walk in the country park without a care in the world. On the 1st February I will have had the lorry 6 years and Friday night was the first time I needed DAF Aid on the side of the road, not too bad I recon on a truck of a million Kms. Thanks for all your help I will ask the same question next year or the year after (must get some wear out of the tyres lol).

Bugger, thought i was in there! :wink:

Professor:
Tomorrow morning me and my dog will be walking round on our three mile walk in the country park without a care in the world.

Great. Good on ya. :smiley:

On the 1st February I will have had the lorry 6 years and Friday night was the first time I needed DAF Aid on the side of the road, not too bad I recon on a truck of a million Kms.

I agree 100%

Thanks for all your help I will ask the same question next year or the year after (must get some wear out of the tyres lol).

Now begins the new debate - if she’s going next year = cheapos.
If she’s staying another few years = Michelin.
Perhaps middle-of-the-road quality/cost between the above 2 is the answer?

Professor:
Thank you for all your replies, I spent all Sunday going over the figures time and time again. I studied the quote and made a few alterations which I wanted to see the salesman about and to see if he would move on the trade in price. As you know I was ready to phone him today. Then fate took a turn, on the way to Swindon the traffic planner phoned up to say that there was no job for tomorrow so that one phone call totally made up my mind. The truck stays and no call to the salesman. The truck will now have a new set of tyres next month after I pay tax, VAT and road tax this month. Tomorrow morning me and my dog will be walking round on our three mile walk in the country park without a care in the world. On the 1st February I will have had the lorry 6 years and Friday night was the first time I needed DAF Aid on the side of the road, not too bad I recon on a truck of a million Kms. Thanks for all your help I will ask the same question next year or the year after (must get some wear out of the tyres lol).

You know it makes sense.I told you so :wink: :laughing:

tryes: i always use brigestones accross the back and they always last well the set on there now have done 390000km still got a bit left and have not been cut yet the set i had on before them lasted to 410000km and they had been cut there was still a bit left on these when i changed them but how far do u keep pushing them i will say all my work is on good roads moastly duel carrage way or motorway i will not bother getting these cut because as i say the motor could be gone in 2 years. my tyre fitter says all tyres have gone through the roof and he sujests hankooks saying they are a good price and last well so i will try them.I also need 2 on the front i have michilins on at the moment but these have not lasted any longer then the rest and i have tried every make for some reason my lorry just keeps knocking the front tyres out they only last about 18 months i have had the tracking done twice and both times it was not far out so again i will try hankooks

I’ve put many Hankooks on cars & light vans and found them to be fine at very reasonable cost.

Sounds like the camber angle might be out on your steer axle.

Clear diagram of steering geometry here:

http://www.anewtoronto.com/wheel%20alignment.html

It shows coil sprung set up, but its much the same.

You sound like quite a clued up guy so I suspect you might already have had this checked.
Some vehicles, from cars upwards, just do wear front tyres unevenly.

thanks driveroneuk i will phone the people up who done the lazer tracking to see if they done the camber angle it is hard to describe how they where it sort of scollops away in places i had the same trouble with my old space cab daf i would not mind but i am not a hard driver and always go slow round corners and rounderbouts