xf 105

Does anybody own or drive one of the latest 105’s less then 6 months old.The reason for this i own a 54 plate xf and as said before has been and still is a very good motor.I know the early 105’s were a lot of trouble but after talking to various daf fitters and other people they have said the problems with the engines are now sorted and they are now a good truck but they would say that.
I know my truck will not last for ever and i am now thinking it may well be wise to get one of the last 105,s instead of one of the first new xf,s as it has got so much new technology at least 10k more plus i am not sure if i like the look of it as much.I have worked out my costs and i am sure there is no different in costs in keeping the old one paying maintenance and tax or paying the hp on a new one.I would be able to put enough down so if work dried up or i had to pack up do to ill health i would never be in negative equity
Or i could just take a chance and keep running my old motor but i am 50 next week and my school of thought is buy one last motor brand new then in 4 years time any problems with the new xf should be sorted then either buy a new one of those or keep the 105 run it into the ground then pack up

The 105 is as good a truck as any other …And all the inital problems with the MX engine have been resolved…All i would say is to ask if any 105 you look at has had the new piston and liners with the anti polishing ring fitted …That was the cure to the excess oil usage ,If buying from a DAF dealer then it should be in the vehicle history…Though i have seen engines that are original and have the original liners /pistons foitted and have never had an oil consumption issue

thank you norb for your reply i would be looking to buying a brand new one so that way there would be no history and i could run it in the way i like to and by doing so i would hopefully end up with a very good truck

If buying brand new ,there shouldn’t be any probs ,if i remember the turbo is insulated ,there are newer piston /liners.and i think the oil pump has changed for greater delivery …Benefit of buying present vehicle ,is it is a known quantity ,so most faults are known,where as with the new XF ,it is euro 6 with all the hassle that comes with ,and it’s a new learning curve for dealers …You will find prior to euro 6 all manufactyrers will be busy turning out euro 5s

We have a couple of 61 plates - and they are very good - excellent fuel MPG compared to the 11 reg - better pulling power and use less ad blu -
regards
Steve

we dont have much trouble with mx engines now with oil usage or camshaft followers collapsing like on early models, ad blue seems better now not getting them in like we used to. and now from week 29/2012 daf now have a galved front bumper so hopefully no rusty bumpers

I would think the last of the current model should be got at a good deal to clear space for the new ones coming out.

The new one isn’t out for a good few months yet.

I have 22 105’s as well as Volvo’s, MAN’s and Renaults.

The 105 is the best built, easily the most reliable and has the strongest residual value - and its only just behind the Renault for fuel economy.

If you are buying a new one aim for around £69-70 grand for a SSC 460 with top lights and 525L tank, and around £6 grand less for a SC. (I pay a couple of grand less, but I do buy quite a few, so anything less than what I’ve said and you are doing well).

And use DAF/Paccar finance - cheapest around by far as its their own product.

Cheers

Tony

mattaid:
and now from week 29/2012 daf now have a galved front bumper so hopefully no rusty bumpers

Praise Jesus. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you all for the repleys they have been most helpful

Thank you all for the repleys they have been most helpful

Silver_Surfer:

mattaid:
and now from week 29/2012 daf now have a galved front bumper so hopefully no rusty bumpers

Praise Jesus. :stuck_out_tongue:

seconded :smiley:

is the galvanised bumper on general release as an option part from the dealers yet?

new Xf is out till roughly next september ,don’t think the present version will ever see the galvanised bumper