new trailers

Hi everyone,today i placed an order for 2 new trls, going through my requirements we got to the issue of rear lights and i asked for LED hamburger lights 3 either side,was then told this would be illegal because he had had a customer stopped by vosa saying they were too bright and the max was 2 per side. is this right?or was he on a wind up. thanks for any replies :slight_smile:

I’m sure i have seen trailers with 3 hamburgers, more than with 2 anyway. :smiley:

send the VOSA a e-mail and ask them to
confirm what is allowed and official so
you can then make what ever decision
that is required.

we have a few trailers with hamburger led lights on them and they all have three on either side. have had vosa sat behind me at night on the 25 going past leatherhead and they havent bothered stopping me yet so i guess he is either bull â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  or had a bit of a nob doing the stop last time!

i have heard that is the case in some european countries for that particular reason, but not in UK though.

We have a 4m ex EDDIE (still green with red skirts) tautliner thats been used in UK & Europe, fitted with 3 hamburger LEDs on either side at the rear without any probs whatsoever! Even the reverse & fog lamps are LED as are the side & marker lights!

surely though f the light have the ec markings then it is legalâ– â– ?

I would have thought the more the rear of a trailer is lit up, the better. Some lighting on trailers is hard to see when the weather is bad. Actually its hard to see it in normal conditions.
I have seen some trailers with the rear lit up more than the front!

is it me or do those led lights play tricks on your eyes when they are in front of you, they seem to sort of jump about as you take your eyes on and off them {or is it really just me :open_mouth: :blush: }

better go to spec savers chavers.

just me then :blush: i must stop smoking them funny roll ups, that may help as well :laughing:

chaversdad:
just me then :blush: i must stop smoking them funny roll ups, that may help as well :laughing:

Me too then, as I have noticed that, but only on some cars with LED back lights.

so its not just me :smiley:

The 3 “Hella” hamburger leds at the rear look mint and illuminate the rear trailer very well, I think they should make them a legal requirement as the bulb rear lights are crap. Montracon do an option whereby the side lights on the trailer flash in time with the indicators as well which I think is a great idea.

give us some of them rollups chaversdad it must be me then.

sammy dog:
give us some of them rollups chaversdad it must be me then.

noooooo, they are special, for relaxation purposes only :laughing: :laughing:

ok im relaxed now. dont ask me how.

I had a Ford Transit flatbed that I fitted an ally light board to, with 3 eurolights per side + a fog light per side. No reversing lights though as I ran out of space !

After it had a respray and was ready to work I took it to the axle bridge at Fxt to tare weigh it, ever the proffessional ! :blush:

Luckily there was no queue that day. I soon found out why. Our esteemed civil servants in Hi-viz were there ! VOSA. :open_mouth:

As it was m/t, fresh from the paint shop and recently serviced I had no worries about carrying out my intended task. :grimacing: :grimacing:

I duly weighed the ol’ bus and was greeted by a crack platoon of the D.o.T’s finest, some with torch and toffee hammer and one particular fella with a clipboard who was having a slow day. :unamused:

They swung into action. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Ahaa, says Cpl Clipboard.

What, said Goaty ?

Too many lights per side !

At this point Sgt Toffee Hammer appeared from underneath and quietly told Cpl Clipboard that he was in fact out of date with his information.

It used to be the case but not for several years !

Cpl Clipboard wasn’t happy with this but retorted “mmm, that maybe so but it (the Transit) doesn’t have any mudflaps” :unamused:

Once again Sgt Toffee Hammer patiently explained that as it didn’t exceed 3.5 tonnes this was irrelevant ! :grimacing:

I collected my tare weight ticket from a disgruntled Mr Clip Board and drove off, then I â– â– â– â– â– â–  myself laughing at the obvious office politics I had just seen. :laughing: :laughing:

To the OP, to my knowledge you can have as many as you like, as long as they stay within the prescribed heights, etc.

PS not all Vostapo’s are nobbers, a good few of them are actually human !

Goaty:
PS not all Vostapo’s are nobbers, a good few of them are actually human !

yeah but they are like good cafes…few and far between

my mate has just sat his cpc and it was mentioned on the course… about the 3 led’s … sayin it was illegal… you can only have 2… i have 2 trailers with 6 hamburgers on them… never been pulled with them tho…