Trailer lights

Hi can anyone tell me what the legel thing is with the trailer lights on top fo the trailers u no the ones in the corners at the front and back , we have several trailers where these lights dont seem to work are u allowed to drive them with them not working or can u refuse to take the trailer out :question:

technically, you could be pulled for it but i doubt it would ever be picked up other than a proper VOSA check point. i will change bulbs if i can be bothered but normally i dont worry about them too much. the more important bulbs are a different story though ie the brake lights, tail lights etc. i prefer them to work and at least some of the side markers

I think the basic rule is if the lights are fitted then they should work, but I think you’ll be unlucky to get pulled just for that.

The problem is with some of our old hired trailers, the shunters cant be botherd to put bulbs in.

Davey Boy:
The problem is with some of our old hired trailers, the shunters cant be botherd to put bulbs in.

how old are we talking? our own fleet trailers are all 18 years old which is probably why 2 of them are permanently off the road. we do our own bulbs anyway. there is a pile of boxes and we help ourselves to bulbs. most of them are easy enough to do. the only thing holding the lens on is the rubber and a screwdriver/penknife will get that off no problem :wink:

muckles:
I think the basic rule is if the lights are fitted then they should work.

Not always ie front foglights don’t need to be maintained even if fitted as they are optional but in this case the lights are a legal requirement.

no idea on the age of the trailers but they are well battered doors bent and crappy , the top rear lights never seem to work can i refuse to takr them out?

i suppose you could refuse to take it out but its a bit petty, que lots of [zb] jobs for the next few weeks. :open_mouth:

do you have onsite fitters or is your maintenance contracted, if i was you i would defect it and then if it dont get sorted then refuse to take it

jon

we have a guy who comes in evry day and he does the trailers units are handled by volvo or man … will try the defect route and see where it leads

mrpj:

muckles:
I think the basic rule is if the lights are fitted then they should work.

Not always ie front foglights don’t need to be maintained even if fitted as they are optional but in this case the lights are a legal requirement.

well sort of. In the case of fog lights If you have them fitted they have to comply with the spacing and height requirements. So if the bulb goes in one it means ‘technically’ it’s illegal as they have to be fitted in pairs, if one is fitted but not working then you dont have a pair. Solution would either be change the bulb or remove both the lights completely. Covering them also has the same legal effect.

TBH though like the trailer lights you would be unlucky to get done for it.
If you did get picked up it would only be a 7 day notice to have them fixed.

if for any reason you do decide to find out how old they are, look under the body. normally next to the brake button. there will be a ticket there which tells you the date it was made/first put on the road along with all the other info that most drivers dont care about :laughing:
you should have a defect book and that should be handed to your supervisor for actioning. you keep the back copy in the book so you can at least prove it has been picked up before. its always handy to keep written records of that kind of thing :wink: