More dcpc bull!

Driver came in tonight with a “gem” he had been told on his “cpc”

He was told that all these fancy trailers with lights all along the roof line had to have “every one” working or they would be done by VOSA.

Nearly on a par with the bovine pee that we call add blue or the 10 quid fine for a turn on the landing leg handle.

Jesus wept.

I feel i’m missing out on lots of fun here because all our CPC courses are done in house and our boys that do it are reasonably professional therefore they don’t come out with any ridiculous statements.

There’s an element of truth - if there fitted they have to be working :wink:

DAF95XF:

I’m not sure you’re right there, we did have some of the older type Volvos once you know the ones with 5 small lights across the top of the cab and we were told that only the 2 outside corner lights had to work and if any of the middle 3 didn’t it wasn’t a problem.

Bking:

Nearly on a par with the bovine pee that we call add blue or the 10 quid fine for a turn on the landing leg handle.

Jesus wept.

It’s £30 a wind :laughing: :laughing:

DAF95XF:

And where do you get this crap from?
If you got two fog light only the o/s needs to work,if you got reverse lights they dont need to work,if you got two bulbs in one light cluster only one needs to work,if you got side markers on a 3 leg tractor they dont need to work.

Ive been told by many VOSA people, policemen and general garage mechanics if a light is fitted then it should work. I have a Saab car, it has 2 bulbs on each side for the tail lights, if one isn’t working then it needs to be replaced. Even the car computer wil tell you the tail light is out on whichever side a bulb is gone even though there is still one working. I’m not sure about the LED markers on the top of a trailer as I don’t even think they are legal if they are not orange on the side of a vehicle anyway !

Reverse lights certainly don’t need to work. I remember once having one of them out and trying to get it fixed by a mechanic when working on the buses. Instead of replacing the broken one he removed the fairing on the other side, smashed the up until then working reverse bulb and told me I was good to go. Give him his due, I suppose you could call that thinking on your feet… :unamused: :laughing:

Bking:
if you got side markers on a 3 leg tractor they dont need to work.

Actually they do depending on the distances between the other side marker lights either side of it.

I bet in the event of a collision with a stupid car driver they say ‘oh I didn’t see the truck’ the filth will do you for having inop, damaged or dirty lights-cover your backsides boys & girls…

Only the obligatory lights need to be working. Any other lights don’t matter a jot.

better make sure my xmas decs are up to scratch,this year.

Conor:

Bking:

Actually they do depending on the distances between the other side marker lights either side of it.

No they dont you can use an orange reflector.Thats why the lights they use on tractors have an integral reflector built into them so if the led or bulb fails they are still legal.

commonrail:
better make sure my xmas decs are up to scratch,this year.

…Someone else might be saving money on the Christmas Cards though eh? :smiling_imp:

If they’re FITTED they must be working immaterial. Period.

jetskimatty:

Wrong.

bald bloke:

DAF95XF:

I’m not sure you’re right there, we did have some of the older type Volvos once you know the ones with 5 small lights across the top of the cab and we were told that only the 2 outside corner lights had to work and if any of the middle 3 didn’t it wasn’t a problem.

We have a Volvo FH with the 5 top marker lights and only the 2 outside ones work and it goes through the annual test every year like this without a problem or even a comment.

jetskimatty:

I’m glad you put ‘period’ at the end in case anyone thought what you were saying was total crap (which, in fact, it is).

Some bit of legislation does say something to this effect, which is why it persists, but if you follow it from the start it is in only in reference to obligatory lights.

Bking:

Conor:

Bking:

No they dont you can use an orange reflector.Thats why the lights they use on tractors have an integral reflector built into them so if the led or bulb fails they are still legal.

A lot of them particularly LED have built in reflectors it isn’t a tractor unit thing.

Whether they would need it to work is really down to if you had a trailer hitched or not. On a vehicle 6m+ you need at least 2 amber side marker lights down each side no more than 3m apart. Without the trailer you would fail on the 2 down each side. Obviously 4x2 units are more likely to be under 6m when running solo so this won’t apply.

One hell of a unit nearly 20 ft long!