new trailers

DAFMAD:

chaversdad:
just me then :blush: i must stop smoking them funny roll ups, that may help as well :laughing:

Me too then, as I have noticed that, but only on some cars with LED back lights.

Phew thats alright then, I though I was going a bit doolally some days, I thought they should be renamed LSD lights, as I was blaming it on the tablets Iā€™m prescribed :grimacing:
BTW, I thought there used to be a min requirement of six sidelight bulbs on the rear of a HGV(3 each side + no plate illumination, so if theres 6 hamburgers plus two top corner markers perhaps Mr Annal from Vosa is interpretating the regulations wrongly, wouldā€™nt be the first time :grimacing:

isnt it more on the indicators? with more than 2 or something not been allowed?

It used to be common practice amongst the Europeans to rewire the rear corner markers into the indicator earth, this made them flash on alternatively to the indicator, when the lights were on they flashed off. I am convinced that cars noticed these more and dropped back when you indicated, unfortunately this practice was banned by VOSA and the Europlod getting very upset with us in a control :frowning:

Finally found this pic of mine Iā€™ve been trying to find. :grimacing:

I was told it was what the flasher relay could handle more than any legality, with the old (bulb) style especially.

sammy dog:
ok im relaxed now. dont ask me how.

chaversdad:

sammy dog:
ok im relaxed now. dont ask me how.

you aint been lisnin to my relaxation cd i got from the cardioligiist consultant av you :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hey Black night i have a new SDC trailer ordered and have been told the same im only allowed two lights each side!!! I have asked a few of my mates who are testing trailers reguarly as i thought it may be new legislation and none of them have heard anything, we have a trailer up for test next week which is three year old and is fitted with six continental style leds from new so we shall wait and see!!!

be nice to hear what they say and yes mine are coming from sdc, have asked them to fit 3 but only wire 2 up so they (sdc ) can stay legal but even this was refused

would it not be possible to ask them to show you where exactly in the current legislation it says that having three cheeseburger LED lamps each side is illegal? :confused:

if it was me buying the new trailer and they told me that, i would want to see it in writing

wouldnt it be easier to order the trailer with 4 then fit 2 yourself??

If that is there attitude, I think I would be inclined to take my business elsewhere.

Try a different supplier even if it only a means of getting a ā€œsecondā€ opinion

Whatever number you decide on or find out what is actually legal and I can tell you the company I work with we all have them fitted and if you happen to be tailend Charlie with all that light what a pain and I add no probs in Franceā€¦except one.LEDā€™s are an attractive item and are expensive and easliy removed as we at cost have found out,it would pay if you fit them to at least drill out the screwhead,this we have done and have not had any nicked sinceā€¦touch wood.

i have a chereau fridge trailer that was new in 2007 and is fitted with 6 led hamburger lights on each side
and has been through 2 motā€™s and several roadside checks with no problems :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
tell your salesman your taking your order elsewhere :exclamation: :exclamation:

I have just followed what looked like a brand new SDC curtainsider into Larne docks and guess what, it had 6 cheeseburger LEDā€™s fitted i guess it was an Irish built trailer and it belonged to a well known Northern Irish haulier!!! If only Chereau made curtainsiders !!!

as a matter of intrest refurbing a step frame l/loader is there a limit on how many side marker lights you are allowed down each side.

Reading through this thread it seems that SDC are on a tight budget, an extra set of lamps will break the bank :stuck_out_tongue:

There were legal maximum and minimum wattage you are allowed to show at either the front or rear of a vehicle, it will be in the Construction and use regs, but quite honestly I would rather sort my piles with a rusty cheese grater than have to trawl through that tonight.
LEDā€™s are minute in their wattage and although they are really bright, they do so using a fraction of the wattage of an ordinary bulb, so unless their has been a new directive on the number of lights fitted, they wonā€™t be over the permitted wattage. Maybe they have seen the light (did you see what I did there) and altered it to a maximum lumen, lux or candela which actually measures how bright it is instead of how much energy it uses, which may effectively bar a three light set-up.

Seems to be standard equipment at Woodsides.

i found this and it may be of help

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

PART I

REQUIREMENTS RELATING TO OBLIGATORY REAR POSITION LAMPS AND TO OPTIONAL REAR POSITION LAMPS TO THE EXTENT SPECIFIED IN PART II

1. Number-
    (a) Any vehicle not covered by sub-paragraph (b), (c), (d), (e), (f ), (g) or (h):

Two

(b) A bus first used before 1st April 1955:
One

(c) A solo motor bicycle:
One

(d) A pedal cycle with less than four wheels and without a sidecar:
One

(e) A trailer drawn by a pedal cycle and a trailer, the overall width of which does not exceed 800 mm, drawn by a solo motor bicycle or by a motor bicycle combination:
One

(f) An invalid carriage having a maximum speed not exceeding 4 mph:
One

(g) A vehicle drawn or propelled by hand:
One

(h) A motor vehicle having three or more wheels and a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph and a trailer drawn by any such vehicle if, in either case, the structure of the vehicle makes it impracticable to meet all of the relevant requirements of paragraphs 2 and 3 below with two lamps:
Four

1. Colour:

Red

PART II

Amendment to Part II of Schedule 10 (requirements relating to optional rear position lamps)
12. In Part II of Schedule 10 for ā€œthe only requirement prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted is that specified in paragraph 7 of Part Iā€ there shall be substituted ā€œthe only requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are those specified in paragraphs 7 and 12(b) of Part Iā€.

1. Other requirements-

(a) Except in the case of a motor vehicle first used before 1st April 1986, any other vehicle manufactured before 1st October 1985 and a motor bicycle combination, where two rear position lamps are required to be fitted they shall form a matched pair and where four rear position lamps are required to be fitted they shall form two matched pairs.

(b) A rear position lamp shall not be fitted on a boot lid or other movable part of the vehicle.