New tesco assessment

just been told ive to do a tesco assessment with a days notice. Any Livi folks done one recently and what does it involve?

Cheers

pm gogzy he maybe able to shed some light on it chap :slight_smile:

Probably be just a spin round the block then putting it on/in a bay or park next to a trailer.

i have mines on sunday :imp:

theory test, the word on the grapevine is that it is 100 questions, 85% to pass. fail and you have to wait 2 weeks for a retest
then there is some yard work, presumably walk around checks
then a delivery to test your driving skills

total time 5 - 8 hours.

it seems that hundreds of incident free deliveries dont mean you can drive because some jumped up jobsworth didnt see you do any of them :unamused:

i had my shunting assessment this morning as im doing shunting all next week 1800 start till 0600so if any of you are in at that point ull have me to deal with :smiley: (scanny will tell u im not that bad just a bit dosile)

still to do the driving assessment though, gonna be great doing a 5-8 hour assessment without a ■■■ lol.wish they did my assessment on tuesday night when i ended up in newcaslte lol

ps these assessments aint ew they should have been done the first time we went in but whatever

i will try and get some info tonight. im in there at half 10 and if any of our lads have been through it today the agency should know what to expect. i dont know if its by the book or if they are only looking for a safe trip. i still need to talk myself into making the effort. for the sake of 3 weeks (i hope), i really dont care if i pass or fail.

you guys should be getting ID cards soon too. they are not security passes to get you in the gate, they are nothing more than ID cards to be shown at the shops. it seems a 45 foot trailer with tesco splattered across it isnt a big enough clue that you are a delivery driver for tesco :unamused:

scanny77:
i will try and get some info tonight. im in there at half 10 and if any of our lads have been through it today the agency should know what to expect. i dont know if its by the book or if they are only looking for a safe trip. i still need to talk myself into making the effort. for the sake of 3 weeks (i hope), i really dont care if i pass or fail.

you guys should be getting ID cards soon too. they are not security passes to get you in the gate, they are nothing more than ID cards to be shown at the shops. it seems a 45 foot trailer with tesco splattered across it isnt a big enough clue that you are a delivery driver for tesco :unamused:

ill see you at half 10 then richie lol im in then aswell…christ do i ever get away from there. i think it might just be a safe trip and not hit anything tbh, the shunting assessment was being told how its meant to be done but them actually showing u the best way to do it etc. and after an hour and 15 mins he was happy enough to end it, even though it should have taken 2 hours.

since were getting tesco id cards we should get cards for the canteen

scanny77:

I though you left the industry to work in an office as a manager?

auck look on the brightside it’ll give you someone to talk to :smiley: We used to get assessed every year but they stopped it 2 year ago, it was good to get a wee natter plus all our driver trainers are brand new, don’t need to worry about getting reported to the brass. I would hate to get a ‘‘company man’’ kinda of guy who would report every fault, id be out a job :smiling_imp:

So your getting company cards? Must be a crackdown on security i was delivering into tryst road - gate was open, back door was unlocked i get some 18 year old snotty faced manager nipping my heid about who let me in. I let myself in dumbass :laughing:

joemaxi:

scanny77:

I though you left the industry to work in an office as a manager?

i am when they get their fingers out. it was 4th jan, then 6th, then it should have been monday just gone. now i have been told 3 weeks but that wont be tech support :unamused:

anyway, there are a possible 1800 questions, we will be asked 100 and the pass mark is 85%. assuming we pass, we will then go out to the yard to be shown ‘the tesco way’ of doing some stuff so i can only assume that it will be the wrong way judging by the shambles from last night. that is followed by a reverse and blindside reverse. if all goes well we will be taken out to do a shop delivery.
the good news is that we ARE being paid for this

cheers, see what tomorrow brings. would have been good to have had any training/ info on the “tesco way” before hand rather than, “keys…tucks oot there somewhere” and a bit more advanced warning.

admittedly Im baws at reversing, always need a wee shunt or two, unless its really difficult, dunno why?! gies a wide open space and im all over the place, make it as difficult as can be and im sound with it - even coatbridge wi a yard foo o’ two siders :slight_smile:

I wasnt even aware that agency guys were being monitored on the Fleetboard doof til it hit my door matt this morning, again, would have been good to know what they were after.

Ive noticed a lack in a fair few familiar faces over the past few weeks so I guess they’re being pretty thorough with it all.

See y’all in a fortnight :laughing:

i dont know what the tesco way is. my induction was being shown a map of the site and general dos and donts. split coupling being an example of a big no no. the security guard did say that one of the questions is ‘what do you need to provide when carrying sheep?’ and the answer is bedding. true or not, i dont know but if it is then im stuffed. i only know what i need to know these days ie the stuff that is relevant to what i do which doesnt include livestock or tankers etc. they call it a theory test but if i remember correctly, the theory test was only 35 questions when i did it so where have they got the other 65 from? not to mention the other 1700 possible questions that werent asked :open_mouth:

on the other hand, we do have successful assessments already so it cant be that hard. most people get a wee bit nervous before a test so its probably nothing to worry about

When did tesco start delivering sheep , is it to those aberdeen shops :laughing:

i feel sorry for anyone doing their assessments today or 2moro, the yard is a {zb} joke. half an hour it took them to come get me out from under a trailer.why did tesco build that side of the yard on an incline :smiling_imp:

they cancelled all assessments on saturday due to the state of the yard. apparently it wouldnt be fair to assess in those conditions when other drivers have chear weather.

of course calling the agency on thursday to give them until monday to have their drivers assessed is perfectly acceptable :unamused:

scanny77:
they cancelled all assessments on saturday due to the state of the yard. apparently it wouldnt be fair to assess in those conditions when other drivers have chear weather.

of course calling the agency on thursday to give them until monday to have their drivers assessed is perfectly acceptable :unamused:

especially when its snowing, least i can still work after monday. im glad i took the easy option and do the shunting assessment

jammy ■■■■ :laughing:

dont worry about it mate. the shunters are ok. just watch what they do and follow suit. as long as you dont get in their way they shouldnt have any problems with you and it will be good practice for you. nipping away for a ciggie is fine with them but dont take the ■■■■ and dont nip away when its busy

scanny77:
jammy [zb] :laughing:

dont worry about it mate. the shunters are ok. just watch what they do and follow suit. as long as you dont get in their way they shouldnt have any problems with you and it will be good practice for you. nipping away for a ciggie is fine with them but dont take the ■■■■ and dont nip away when its busy

yea a bit of common sense tells you that its a bit daft to nip away for a ■■■ when its busy is a bit stupid.

this is it, first hand!
theory test on a laptop, 100 questions. passing first time is preferable although you are permitted 3 attempts at fortnightly intervals.
the questions are randomly chosen from a total of 500 and they cover things you may not have been trained on. i had one regarding a partial load of pigs. i had 5 or 6 about first aid. 1 on ADR. 1 i dont know about. a white diamond with 30 in the middle is a sign for a particular vehicle, i chose trams but i dont know the answer
the pass mark is 85% and the reason there are so many is because the theory test for your licence is now 100 questions as of june last year :confused:
pass or fail, you will get get a shop to deliver to, in my case it was coatbridge which is a blindside reverse. you get the paperwork as normal then go and hook up to the trailer. STOP IN FRONT AND CHECK THE TRAILER BRAKE IS ON! then carry on as normal, check lights etc including the tail lift whether you need it or not at the shop. scissor lifts do break down so they like you to ensure the tail lift is working just in case. once you are happy with the vehicle you can release the trailer brake but make sure it is the last thing you do no matter what your normal procedure is.
then you will go round to the goods in side and reverse onto a bay. you will get a thumbs up and you pull off the bay to your left and then blindside onto the same bay. they are not bothered about taking a couple of shunts, they just want to see that you are safe and able to have a go at it.
if all goes well you will go and do the shop delivery and return to the depot, on to RSU as normal then go and drop the trailer. again, first thing you do is manually apply the trailer brake and the last thing you do is pull the handle. the trainer i had did do one assessment where the guy had passed it no problem but he pulled the handle first and failed instantly for that alone. park the unit outside the office, your delivery paperwork will be photocopied before its given back to you for debrief and if you dont have it already, your mug shot will be taken for your ID card. job done!
this is not a textbook test. you dont need to drive as though you are on a test. remember what you were taught about using mirrors and observation etc and drive like you normally do but with a little bit of common sense ie dont go booting it everywhere or just sit staring out the windscreen. they just want to make sure you are awake when you are driving and can handle a wagon. these guys are drivers so they live in the real world, not some pen pushers who think they know better :sunglasses: