New Tacho Rules - So How Was It For You?

The new rules are supposed to give us more rest and stop us running all hours…

…The result, however, is that the need to take an extra [zb] half hour [zb] break on top of the umpteen fifteen and twenty minute mini-breaks I’d already had on Friday meant that I missed my last Friday reload by 15 minutes and didn’t get home until 11am today (Saturday). My usual 58-60+hr weekend is now down to a reduced rest of 43 hours. :unamused: :imp: :imp:

So how was it for you■■? :cry: :cry: :cry:

(Ps. The upside to the above was my proximity to Lindsay and Repton’s house and local pub… :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: )

Ir was okay for me this week, mainly because I only did 3 days, 2 x 14.5 hours and one x 13.5, and had more than 6 hours of breaks each day, I’ll need a different sort of week to really see how it affects my work, in a good or bad way.

I knew there was something i`d forgot this week :blush: :blush: :blush:
Still ill try again next week :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I have only started doing some agency driving in the past 6 weeks, so been doing breaks as 15 + 30 or 45 anyway, as I at the most have done is 4 days in a week, then rest is not effecting me.

Possibly the worst thing is I come to 6 hours working before 4.5 driving most of the time, so I have to watch how I might do a WDT break, maybe its got to be 2 x 30, so the 15 + 30 is the wrong way around for me.

Going on tour next week in Germany, so I am going to be interested how weekly rest will affect the rock n roll boys as we have a few weeks with the odd day off, certainly not a chance of a 2 day rest.

Andy

no problems :imp: :unamused:

jon

Ive been so used to taking 30+15 for so long keeping me in line with the RTD Im complying with the new rules so far, but still taking the 1st break as a 30, so it means I have to take 30 more, though yesturday I did take a 45

Absolutely crap :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

I was the same as you Lucy, breaks all over the place like you wouldn’t believe.

I even had to stop for a 45 min break 10 minutes away from the yard. This wouldn’t have happened under the old rules because it was caused by having to run the WTD and tacho completely seperate whereas before you could run them alongside each other brilliantly :imp: :imp: :imp:

Utter tripe :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

(what else could I have put that the auto censor would allow :smiley: )

Its an pain for me, a typical run for us is a Lincoln, then Scunny to Meriden, then say a Tewksbury. Normally we get to the first job early, grab 30 mins, then tip and up to Scunny, getting a 15 when our driving time is up, then the rest of the day and get back intime to load.

Now because of the last break being a 30 mins it can put us late back and not being able to load for the next day causes us big problems, and possible loss of earnings.

Suppose its something I’ll get used to, but at the minute its a real pain.

the new rules are incompatible with the WTD. it adds time to our day

so much for the WTD reducing our hours. at first it made no difference and now its making the day LONGER :confused: :confused: :confused:

peirre:
I`ve been so used to taking 30+15 for so long keeping me in line with the RTD

:confused: :confused: 15+30 still keeps you in line with the RTD.

peirre:
I`m complying with the new rules so far, but still taking the 1st break as a 30, so it means I have to take 30 more,

Take the 15 first and the 30 second, keeps you correct for both sets of regs unless of course it earns you more money by extending your day by 15 minutes in which case carry on driver. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

This having to take 30 minutes break before exceeding 6 hours work thing must be the single biggest piece of misinformation regarding the regulations by a long way at the moment, leading to drivers making their day longer when they don’t want to and taking longer in breaks than they either want to or need to.

scanny77:
the new rules are incompatible with the WTD.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: No they aren’t

scanny77:
it adds time to our day

No it doesn’t, unless you want it to for monetary gain. :wink: :smiley:

scanny77:
so much for the WTD reducing our hours. at first it made no difference

True enough.

scanny77:
and now its making the day LONGER :confused: :confused: :confused:

No it isn’t. You have fallen into the must take 30 minutes before exceeding 6 hours work thing. This is false, you only need to take 15 minutes as nowhere in the regulations, which are HERE does it say you need to take 30 minutes at that point. Have a read of them, especially Section 7 which deals with breaks. Pay particular attention to point 7.4 and you won’t be making your day longer when you don’t want to.

Limestone Cowboy:
I even had to stop for a 45 min break 10 minutes away from the yard. This wouldn’t have happened under the old rules because it was caused by having to run the WTD and tacho completely seperate whereas before you could run them alongside each other brilliantly

And you still can. Breaks count for both WTD and tacho rules and the changes will not make much difference to the majority of drivers.

Henrys Cat’s case is an exception and there isn’t much he can do to change it.

No worries here. :sunglasses:

I like 45 minutes in a lump and the office know this and have given up trying to get me to split my little snooze. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I don’t put it on break when waiting to be tipped or loaded anyway so I don’t think I need to be too worried.

Coffeeholic:

peirre:
I`ve been so used to taking 30+15 for so long keeping me in line with the RTD

:confused: :confused: 15+30 still keeps you in line with the RTD.

I generally hit the 6hr limit around the time of my 2nd store/run drop time and can have up to 1 - 1.5 hrs remaining of the 1st 4.5hrs.
so the old 30+15 suited me and the drop times
though last week running the Retford2/market drayton1 run I was getting to Market drayton over 1hr early leaving me time for Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (POA)

Coffeeholic:

peirre:
I`m complying with the new rules so far, but still taking the 1st break as a 30, so it means I have to take 30 more,

unless of course it earns you more money by extending your day by 15 minutes in which case carry on driver. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

as an agy driver is there any other way to comply other than 30+30.
I see my earning potential going up by £1K pa due to this :wink: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

scanny77:
the new rules are incompatible with the WTD.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: No they aren’t

scanny77:
it adds time to our day

No it doesn’t, unless you want it to for monetary gain. :wink: :smiley:

scanny77:
so much for the WTD reducing our hours. at first it made no difference

True enough.

scanny77:
and now its making the day LONGER :confused: :confused: :confused:

No it isn’t. You have fallen into the must take 30 minutes before exceeding 6 hours work thing. This is false, you only need to take 15 minutes as nowhere in the regulations, which are HERE does it say you need to take 30 minutes at that point. Have a read of them, especially Section 7 which deals with breaks. Pay particular attention to point 7.4 and you won’t be making your day longer when you don’t want to.

Not being funny but is this totally correct?

(2) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds six hours but does not exceed nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 30 minutes and interrupting that time.

These rules were from 2005 havent they recently changed so as 30 mins on or before 6 hour mark? Guess I will find out when this months tachos come back, I know I didnt have 30 before 6hr mark one day last week.

cant agree coffee its not making the days longer as it is mine , not a lot granted but longer.
before
i5 mins dropping trailer
15 mins picking up trailer
15 mins a46 cov
now
15 mins dropping trailer
30 mins a46 cov
i cant now have 15 mins picking up trailer as they often come round to get it whithin the 15 mins i put it on break to pick it up and the lads are good and theyll wait for me to finish the fifeteen off but they wont [havent got time to wait 30 ]so i now have pick the trailer up do paper work on other work so it costs me about 10/15 mins per night.

other lad who does a changeover at tamworth used to have a 30 whilst waiting
for change over then a 15 when he got back to base, now hes having to have 15 change over, 15 other work then 30 back at base so its making his night 15 mins longer.

to me its has made it longer if only mins but as some our on job and finish every min knock your hourly rate down a few pence :wink:
im now not bothered im now having a hour as im fed up chasing around but mates not amused at all
now prove me wrong, i just know your going too :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

its also affected me as my digi doesnt take into account you need your 45 in a certain sequence , i can still have a 20/ 25 or a 15/15 /15 or a 30/15 and it resets driving time to zero .according to the digi im still having my breaks legal.
before i didnt have to think[ i like not thinking :wink: ] as the digi did it 100% but now ive got to remember to have it in the right sequence.
which is one of the reasons im just having a hr.

Imp:
Not being funny but is this totally correct?

(2) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds six hours but does not exceed nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 30 minutes and interrupting that time.

Not being funny :wink: :smiley: but exactly where in the bit you have quoted does it say the 30 minutes has to be on or before the 6 hour mark? It doesn’t. It states that where the shift is between 6 and 9 hours the worker shall be entitled to a break of 30 minutes interrupting that time, the time it refers to as being interrupted is the total length of the shift, not the first 6 hours of the shift.

Imp:
These rules were from 2005 havent they recently changed so as 30 mins on or before 6 hour mark?

No, the rules are the same as when they came in and at no point since they came in has it been necessary to take 30 minutes before exceeding 6 hours work.

ady1:
cant agree coffee its not making the days longer as it is mine

As I said for the majority of drivers it won’t make much difference but there are exceptions.

Coffeeholic:

Limestone Cowboy:
I even had to stop for a 45 min break 10 minutes away from the yard. This wouldn’t have happened under the old rules because it was caused by having to run the WTD and tacho completely seperate whereas before you could run them alongside each other brilliantly

And you still can. Breaks count for both WTD and tacho rules and the changes will not make much difference to the majority of drivers.

Henrys Cat’s case is an exception and there isn’t much he can do to change it.

Henrys Cat’s case is exactly the same as mine. :frowning:

I used to get to the load point early and get 29 minutes break in, and then later in the day whichever rules were up to or near the limit I used to take the other 16 minutes to reset both timings.

I must admit though, that the website that you refer to seems to have a slightly different slant to it than the dft’s website, although I will check the wording on it :confused: :confused: