Changes to rest periods?

I might be imagining it, but I’m sure I read somewhere recently that there are to be some changes to the tacho rest periods to close the loophole of: drive 1 minute - take 30 minutes rest, drive 4 hours 29 minutes - take 15 minutes rest (or similar).

My faltering memory seems to recall a proposal of no breaks until 3.5 hours driving have been completed and a minimum break time of 30 minutes.

Anyone know if this is correct - or maybe it’s all in my imagination!

It has been discussed on another thread in the last couple of weeks, but I can’t remember which one.

Coffeeholic will no doubt point you to it later.

Krankee:
It has been discussed on another thread in the last couple of weeks, but I can’t remember which one.

This one ?

Denis did it. :wink: :smiley:

My faltering memory seems to recall a proposal of no breaks until 3.5 hours driving have been completed and a minimum break time of 30 minutes.

Not quite. The ability to split the 45 minutes into 3x15 is going to be replaced and the proposal is that if you take a break of 15-minutes the next break must be one of 30. You can of course still take the full 45 in one go. There is also no proposal to say you must have done 3.5 hours driving before taking a break., you will still be able to take the break at anytime within, or immediately after, the 4.5 hours

Cheers Denis. Senility draws on. :blush:

Or perhaps it’s inebriation. :smiley:

I’ll reconsider in the morning. :unamused:

I used to do exactly that, I used to work out of langley on night trunk mainly to birmingham before i left for spain, but on the odd occation i had to go to manchester swap trailers then come back, but it was garanteed that the manchester trunk was never ready and had to be loaded up the road in iver, so while i was there being loaded i used to set the tacho for a 30 minute break then drive to manchester and back with only a 15 minute break while i was up there!! And the firm used to have the tachos scanned everyday and i never got any infringements for doing this!!

delboy98:
while i was there being loaded i used to set the tacho for a 30 minute break then drive to manchester and back with only a 15 minute break while i was up there!! And the firm used to have the tachos scanned everyday and i never got any infringements for doing this!!

You wouldn’t get an infringement back as you didn’t commit an offence. When the new rules come in that will no longer be possible, the 15-minute break will need replacing with a 30-minute one.