New member. introduction

In the 2 pictures you see the famous Mack of Chapman & Ball. and a Daf that came to us during the transition from C &B to Trans border group of companies. which only lasted a few weeks before it all went t//s up. the Daf i had was from Jenkinsons and was a very good truck. which i had for 4 trips wthout getting any further in u/k than London and turning round again. It started with a Poland then Yugoslavia. then another Poland then groupage to Portugal which was delivery London and Liverpool. so eventually got home,. The Mack, as anyone, especially Bestbootees, will tell you eas only a one trip motor for most drivers, as, everyone came back and wanted their old truck back. There were a variety of reasons for this and differed from one driver to the next , but i was more than happy to have my Fiat 619 back having done trip to Rijeka Yogoslavia in the Mack. But instead they gave me Volvo RWD 239 R. I shipped out to Greece with it and by the time i got back the company was into the early stages of going under. so, it was time to start looking and i started on my own 3 weeks later with Volvo F88 you can see on my threads, some more later Terry

Hello guys!

I’m not driver but my interest for Lorrys/TrucksLastbilar never will be cease. Is a Swede as like to read about the old English lorries’ from the past and the same thing pertain to our Swedish Lastbilsforum. But there is a difference between these forums: Trucknet.uk has more to read about and there are fantastic stories and good memories from the past and exiting read of different things. I live in Sundsvall and I hade read some of you have been here loading paper for newspaper. We have SCA Ortviken as develop this sort of paper. Little more about my trucking experience:
thedieselgypsy.com/FIRST%20T … KERS-9.htm

Another forum as I use to watch is this:
classicmachinery.net/forum/

Lock after Lorries and heavy haulage. It is a forum started by a person as is Swedish and live in Germany but can speak both Swedish/German/English and is named Holger Gremminger.

Perhaps some of you known this forum?

Kind regards
Lars-Gunnar :slight_smile:

a few more of mine. i think some are courtesy of Bill Clowes.

just found a few more of my pics— this was taken at truckwash in Belgium, en route Glasgow

this was B 800 OVT i bought this from commercial engineers Stoke new. very thirsty

this is AKU 875 en route Menen B to Sardinia climbing French side of Mont Blanc

this was next new M A N KKG 492 stopped for break in Aosta

next new M-A-N 372 with Voith retarder taken Leek lorry park en rout Inverness from Italy

sadly i would like to inform everyone that Terry Cashmore/top cat leek died yesterday at home with his family after a short illness.

God Bless, rest in peace.

Hello everyone.just a short introduction (hopefully) My transport life started with Adams Butter of Leek as a drivers mate,leading to driving rigids and onto artics.At 20yrs of age i was driving MK 5 Mandator WRE 581C to Scotland with 20 to 30 drops every week, having left Sunday and getting back Friday noon.this lasted till we opened depot at Lockerbie.
Next came Tideswells tramping with A E C eight wheeler 968 VMG which was nearly as old as me.Then progressed to artics , when they started to buy them.But job was getting worse, so made a move for the better.■■? Vic Wilds Stoke This was quite a short episode as he was just trying to get the drivers to rent their trucks off him and do his work for yourself and finish with whatever he said was left for us.///Not for me , that system. Time to move on, after 2 years. My next job was a good one. R J Gee of leek.We went south with tiles from Wooliscrofts or Heinz beans from Wigan to London & South coast.Re–loading duckers from Kent or clay from Wareham to the potbanks. But the main reload was butter from Newhaven back to Adams Butter at Leek. 2.00 A M start every day both ends. All good jobs come to an end. The next chapter in my life was good, also, Ron Rogers of Bradnop R I P Had ex Robsons of carlisle Foden 12 speed with Gardner 150 – BHH 563 B We found our own loads and got paid on percentage of earnings. After some years i got in with F C F in Southampton and Parkstone , pulling their tilts from docks. Arrived Sotton office one Sunday and Peter Jones sent me to truckline poole to pick up stripped down tilt carrying 2 Caterpillar 966 loaders for Marseilles docks Wednesday.Shipped out on The Antelope to Cherbourg and slowly made my way to delivery , Not sleeping for 2 days.I had 5 blow-outs en-route. had my 2 spares and borrowed off kindly english drivers other 3. Got tipped and re loaded Beziers for Bromborough. After that did many trips for F C F about 40+ then cash went slow in forthcoming , so it was time to go.i started to sub for a real gent. Mr Harold Dale of Morcap and did 2 years for Harold with double deck trailers on Bamford Balers to France,Spain and Italy re loading ,machinery from Kuhn at Saverne to Telford. Here i worked with some very good drivers, some already mentioned on T N and some not.Whilst working out of Sneyd Hill estate i got friendly with the owners of the site Chapman&Ball namely Uncle Jack Corrie & ■■■■ Chapman WILL CONTINUE LATER ON NEW THREAD

Hi top cat,
Good story there,look forward to reading some more,welcome to the site. Good to have another on board who lets his fingers do the talking.
Cheers Dave.

Hi topcat welcome to tnet, good story their keep them coming.

regards Mark

top cat leek:
Hello everyone.just a short introduction (hopefully) My transport life started with Adams Butter of Leek as a drivers mate,leading to driving rigids and onto artics.At 20yrs of age i was driving MK 5 Mandator WRE 581C to Scotland with 20 to 30 drops every week, having left Sunday and getting back Friday noon.this lasted till we opened depot at Lockerbie.
Next came Tideswells tramping with A E C eight wheeler 968 VMG which was nearly as old as me.Then progressed to artics , when they started to buy them.But job was getting worse, so made a move for the better.■■? Vic Wilds Stoke This was quite a short episode as he was just trying to get the drivers to rent their trucks off him and do his work for yourself and finish with whatever he said was left for us.///Not for me , that system. Time to move on, after 2 years. My next job was a good one. R J Gee of leek.We went south with tiles from Wooliscrofts or Heinz beans from Wigan to London & South coast.Re–loading duckers from Kent or clay from Wareham to the potbanks. But the main reload was butter from Newhaven back to Adams Butter at Leek. 2.00 A M start every day both ends. All good jobs come to an end. The next chapter in my life was good, also, Ron Rogers of Bradnop R I P Had ex Robsons of carlisle Foden 12 speed with Gardner 150 – BHH 563 B We found our own loads and got paid on percentage of earnings. After some years i got in with F C F in Southampton and Parkstone , pulling their tilts from docks. Arrived Sotton office one Sunday and Peter Jones sent me to truckline poole to pick up stripped down tilt carrying 2 Caterpillar 966 loaders for Marseilles docks Wednesday.Shipped out on The Antelope to Cherbourg and slowly made my way to delivery , Not sleeping for 2 days.I had 5 blow-outs en-route. had my 2 spares and borrowed off kindly english drivers other 3. Got tipped and re loaded Beziers for Bromborough. After that did many trips for F C F about 40+ then cash went slow in forthcoming , so it was time to go.i started to sub for a real gent. Mr Harold Dale of Morcap and did 2 years for Harold with double deck trailers on Bamford Balers to France,Spain and Italy re loading ,machinery from Kuhn at Saverne to Telford. Here i worked with some very good drivers, some already mentioned on T N and some not.Whilst working out of Sneyd Hill estate i got friendly with the owners of the site Chapman&Ball namely Uncle Jack Corrie & ■■■■ Chapman WILL CONTINUE LATER ON NEW THREAD

Is that you Terry ■■?If so welcome tuck net.Steve jolly has a large picture of WRE somewhere he had her on trunk it was a twin head light one.
John

Hi top cat,
Welcome to the site. Drivers mate, then rigids, then onto artics! Thats the proper way to be a wagon driver. I am Supervisor at my depot now & drive as well, I also do the interviews with my gaffer for new blood. Most of em come in waving their HGV, (no sorry, LGV) in the air calling themselves drivers, I am closer to being The Pope than most of them are to being drivers, without their sat-nav they have a job finding the way out of the yard! There you go I have had my daily rant, once again Welcome.

Hi again.thanks for the welcome everyone… especially Dave—Mark—Chris— and John I will cotact Steve i worked with him for years at Adams. Once again thanks to you all… Will post pics very soon…

Hi top cat leek welcome to the retirement home, i to am an ex Tideswell driver only i lasted a bit longer (30 years).
As a lad i lived at Longsdon and remember Ray Gee having a grey Leyland Comet? and drag, then a new Thornycroft artic? soon after, he parked it up the road from his mums place. in later years we used to load butter at various docks and cold stores around the country, Ray for Adams & Tides for United Daries always a cheerfull guy to work with.
In later years when Tidewell did work for Adams i think Ray put is truck in Adams fleet and worked in yard at the Barnfields site. The AEC Mk 3 8wheeler VMG was still in service when i started at Kingsley in 1969 think there some pics of it about i will ask em. Found some old Adams pics on a photo site and sent them to my uncle, (Graham Barber ex Adams driver long retired) the other day, he now lives in Derby. Dave

hi, three piece wheel…great to hear your memories of VMG and the companies of that time, I remember Graham very well , his drivers mate at the time was a lad called Lenny Driver. he was son of Herbert Driver ,another old Adams faithful . Graham went as depot manager if i remember rightly .first to Thorne then i am sure he went on to run the new depot at Lockerbie. please correct me if i am wrong.nice to hear from you.

top cat leek:
hi, three piece wheel…great to hear your memories of VMG and the companies of that time, I remember Graham very well , his drivers mate at the time was a lad called Lenny Driver. he was son of Herbert Driver ,another old Adams faithful . Graham went as depot manager if i remember rightly .first to Thorne then i am sure he went on to run the new depot at Lockerbie. please correct me if i am wrong.nice to hear from you.

Top cat if thats you Terry. 3 piece wheels dad had that tanker where we turned in by the wheel when you drove for Malc. Was it vmg or bmg312 b that had a
box sitting on a flat Philip Sutton drove it for a while.
John

top cat leek:

Hiya Top Cat welcome to the site I think you will find it er! intersting ! to say the least but any new blood is welcome !! But a word of warning !! we have a virus on the site that infects some of the threads — his name is Carryfast !! Cheers Bewick.

Hiya all …Beware i lived in Leek a long time and know most drivers from the 60/70/80s now this Top cat has’nt told me who he is.he’s told us about AECs Fodens And i think he drove a F86 and later owned a F88… BUT at one time he had a TM with a V8 BLUBLUBLUBL two stroke. HE may be a plant to take us down Is he a Carryfast mole we must beware.HA HA Ive known him years and he’s done the rounds belive me.
3300 JOHN

hello bewick. thanks for the welcome and the warning, i can assure you i am not aplant for the virus, just an old ■■■■ remeniscing and prepared to share many tales with anyone wanting to hear them,regards terry.

hello john… i remember the tanker opposite the wheel yes i was on for Malc but nothing of interest happened there only in the wilkes head . after work or in middlesborough with Frank Lewis, ha,ha, the 8 legger i had was definitely 968 VMG but i do remember Phil Sutton having the van… have you seen the thread on here asking who the driver was hanging out of the A E C cab one guy even said it looks like a Rokold driver, but i still did not recognise Phil all for now regards terry

Hi Top Cat Leek, when you were with Hermand Tideswells did you ever load barrels of whey from Tarff Creamery near Kirkcudbright?. I was the mechanic their in the early Sixties and remember tideswells AEC eight leggers coming in to load barrels of whey. some of them had the transfer box fitted the opposite way round and according to the drivers were flying machines. some of them had cab doors that were hinged at the rear and opened from the front. and if i remember rightly some had sliding doors. the drivers would say that he had new trucks in the yard that were being cannibalised to keep the old ones on the road. regards Jamie.

A Scot Lost in the Valley’s