New job tomorrow.

Hi all I’m starting a new job tomorrow and would like some advice please, It’s class 2 hiab work and I’ve got a hiab ticket but only used one for the test. I’m going to ask them to show me how theirs works in the morning but should I come clean about not having used one or should I bluff it out? Are there any tips about using one in the real world? Also I’ve done some driving in the past, but never full days. Nobody where I worked was to bothered about tacho’s as they where short runs, What I think I need to do is, put the tacho on cross hammers and leave it there, it will change to driving automatically and only change it for break,then change back to cross hammers. Is this correct? As I don’t get paid breaks I only intend to take one 45 min break, The job is 8-4 what is the easiest way to calcalate driving time? will I be OK if I just take 45 mins between 12 and 12:30? Sorry for all the questions but theres more to this than just driving, as I’m just finding out!

Hi Rich, well done on getting the job!

Can’t help you on the HIAB except to say that in my opinion it’s always better to own up to a lack of experience - that way you can ask for some help to start with and feel more confident when you’re on your own, rather than trying to bluff it out and getting yourself into trouble.

You need to keep a record of your driving time, personally I use a kitchen timer, but you can just make a note of your times. You say it is 8 - 4 but what happens when you get stuck in traffic due to an accident or road works? You need to know where you are on your driving time, don’t just guess that it will be alright!

Good luck, hope you enjoy it!

Hi rich1984 welcome to TruckNet UK
And good luck with the job. Like you
said ask them to show you how theres
work as you havent used one since you
got your ticket. You are right you do put
it on the cross hammers and put it to the
bed symbol when on break. Driving will
be recorded automatically unless there
is a steering wheel symbol. The square
box with the line through is period of
availability (POA). You are correct you
do after move the mode switches
manually. Have you used the tacho
units that look like cd players where
you put the chart under the flap ? .

If you only work 8 to 4 then having the 1
45 minute break should be ok and takes
care of the 6 hour and 9 hour work time
directive rule but as grumpybum as said
keep a record of your driving time . You wont
to take at least 47 minutes so you dont get a
tacho infringement.

I think it’s the cd look alike type tacho, It’s a DAF if that helps. What’s the easiest way to keep tabs on driving time on multi drop?

CD TYPE
Put the card under the flap marked D then
put it over that middle thing letter E.

If you dont have a timer work your driving time out on paper

Cheers for the replies, another question about breaks, it may sound daft but say I start at 8, drive continuously until 12 take 45 mins do I have to take another break at 1:15? I have just been down tesco’s and bought a timer, set it to 4.5 hours and each time I stop to unload stop the timer, is this correct? once the 4.5 hours are up the alarm sounds and I take the break, what if there’s nowhere to stop? Like I originally posted I don’t get paid breaks so don’t want to take them too often.

Timing on multidrop is a right pain, however if you are doing lots of drops you probably won’t get to 4 1/2 hours driving until well into the shift. Say your day would entail 6 1/2 hours driving you could break after 3 hours and you would still have an hour spare before a break was needed. The only way to calculate is with a timer that you stop and start when you change from driving to other work. The DAF LF’s have a little computer that can record driving time, although it will stop counting when you stop at traffic lights etc. It’s still handy if you are unlikely to maxing your driving time as you can keep an eye and take a break in plenty of time.

As for the Hiab, your ticket basically says that you understand the principles and dangers involved. There are lots of different makes, types and sizes with lots of variations. Assuming it is a fairly straightforward one your best bet would be to explain that you haven’t done much Hiab and would they mind a couple of minutes to go over it with you. (Implication being that you are confident but just wanting to make sure). If it is totally strange to you, explain that its completely different to others you have used and ask for a little more help.

For example my Volvo has an Atlas 105 (10t/m) crane with 6 hydraulic levers to operate it, nice and simple. Our other Volvo has an Atlas 390 (39t/m) that is fully remote controlled, even the stabilisers. It has got a brain and will only do things the way it wants to, which is fine if you know how it works but if you get sent out to collect stuff and do not know you are going to struggle big time. I recently had to drive ours for a week and got dropped right in at the deep end, for the first day or two I was constantly on the phone.

say I start at 8, drive continuously until 12 take 45 mins do I have to take another break at 1:15?

No, you’re driving time starts afresh after 45mins - so you would have another 4 and a half hours driving time, if you need it. Remember, you can also take your break in blocks of 15 mins, ie: 1 break of 15 mins and one of 30, or 3 lots of 15 mins.

I have just been down tesco’s and bought a timer, set it to 4.5 hours and each time I stop to unload stop the timer, is this correct? once the 4.5 hours are up the alarm sounds and I take the break, what if there’s nowhere to stop?

Keep an eye on the timer, and stop when it’s close to 4.5 or when you know it’s a suitable place to stop. If you’re worried, set the timer to 4hrs so it gives you plenty of time to find somewhere to have your break.

Remember, you can also take your break in blocks of 15 mins, ie: 1 break of 15 mins and one of 30, or 3 lots of 15 mins.

Isn’t it 1st break 15 minutes then 2nd break has to be 30 minutes?

8wheels:

Remember, you can also take your break in blocks of 15 mins, ie: 1 break of 15 mins and one of 30, or 3 lots of 15 mins.

Isn’t it 1st break 15 minutes then 2nd break has to be 30 minutes?

3x15 or20+25 or 15+30 or 3x15, makes no difference

Cheers, I’ll let you know how I get off tomorrow! Thanks for the help. Why this is’nt part of the training get’s to me, it’ such a big part of the job!

Don’t forget about the 6hr RTD rule on top of the tacho rules. :bulb:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s only a generalisation but if you’re doing long distance, take your 45 every 4.5 hours as this will be easy to calculate with you spending most of your time driving.

If you’re doing local, multi drop work then take a 45 break every 6hrs of work. You won’t complete 4.5hrs driving before your RTD break is due so just work to the RTD rules.

Like I say, it’s only a generalisation there but you won’t go far wrong (if at all) if you follow that.

Today went quite well, I asked them to show me the hiab but was told I would’nt need it today as everything was light enough to handball off, but will be shown before it will be needed. Clocked in at 8, tacho in at 8:15 set on hammers, driving at 9:15, made 8 drops, kept forgeting to stop the timer. Break at 1:20 untill 2:10, another 3 drops and back at 4:40. The job is 8-5 not 4. One embarising moment, while reversing back into the depot I clipped the nearside mirror, one fella seen it but did’nt say anything to me, I’ll find out tomorrow if he told anyone else! I also had a few problems with cars on yellow lines and could’nt get around corners / junctions until they moved. All in all I enjoyed. Thanks for the advice.

Well done on completing your first day at work!!

grumpybum:
No, you’re driving time starts afresh after 45mins - so you would have another 4 and a half hours driving time, if you need it. Remember, you can also take your break in blocks of 15 mins, ie: 1 break of 15 mins and one of 30, or 3 lots of 15 mins.

Your breaks do not have to be in blocks of 15 minutes - The blocks must be at least 15 minutes. So you could take one break of 20 minutes then another of 25 minutes, or one of 22 minutes and another of 23 minutes. Breaks of less than 15 minutes are simply ignored.

Cheers Roymondo, It’s going quite well at the moment, I have to be back at the depot at 5 so I’ve been taking 45 mins between 1 and 2, all seems ok, Tacho in just after 8 on other work, sometimes don’t leave until 9:30, have a few unofficial breaks along the way but I don’t reach 4.5 hrs driving time before I need a break for the WTD 6 hour rule.I think I’m right, I need 30 mins after 6 hrs other work? so I make sure I take my 45 before 2. If I breakdown after 2 (hope not) I switch to POA to cover my back. P.S. Still hav’nt used or been shown the hiab.

well done on getting and coping with the job. if you’re taking a couple of unofficial breaks why not use some of them to practice with the hiab, it’s dead easy if you keep your wits and observation about you. i gather your hiab trainer showed you the pto and control box (altho they do vary from make to make and year to year) for example my volvo has a flick switch with a safety tab which you push down as you flip the switch but some of our other lorries have the old fashioned pull out type. don’t forget to push the clutch tho as really it’s just another gear.