Tacho modes

Hi guys I’ve got a couple of silly questions.

I have been told that on a tacho that automaticly records driving you should drive on the cross hammers (other work) and basically change modes for break and POA. Is this correct?

Also, if you work a 9 hour day but your driving time only comes to a total of 3hours 30 mins do you have to record a break?

This is what I have been told but today when I did this all it recorded was the speed and a thick line around the break line, It didn’t record driving, other work or any thing else.

No

Record other work on hammers, and breaks as bed symbol. Driving as the wheel symbol and POA on the wheel in box same as driving one.

Well as for break yes. Under WTD rules (not tacho) but rules most of us have to adhere to you must have 30 mins rest on or before 6 hours and a total of 45mins on or before 9 hours.

Imp:
No

Record other work on hammers, and breaks as bed symbol. Driving as the wheel symbol and POA on the wheel in box same as driving one.

But there is no wheel symbol as it records automaticly, so what mode would you drive on.

You must have cross hammers, bed and another symbol probably a square with what looks like a “Merc badge” in it. thats the kiddy for drving on. and recording POA.

Imp:
You must have cross hammers, bed and another symbol probably a square with what looks like a “Merc badge” in it. thats the kiddy for drving on. and recording POA.

Yeah its a square with a diagonal line through it. Thanks for clearing that up as I have been told and read on here different.

Weets:

Imp:
No

But there is no wheel symbol as it records automaticly, so what mode would you drive on.

if there is no wheel symbol ( and it’s usually now only found on older trucks) use cross hammers and change to break (bed) or POA ( box) when necessary

This is what I have been told but today when I did this all it recorded was the speed and a thick line around the break line, It didn’t record driving, other work or any thing else.

the line should be thin on break, a bit thicker on POA thicker again on other work and thickest when driving

a bit like this ( which I borrowed off t’interweb)

if it’s not like that it’s broke :wink:

So what I did today is correct.

I was under the impression it changed lines.

Weets:
Hi guys I’ve got a couple of silly questions.

I have been told that on a tacho that automaticly records driving you should drive on the cross hammers (other work) and basically change modes for break and POA. Is this correct?

Also, if you work a 9 hour day but your driving time only comes to a total of 3hours 30 mins do you have to record a break?

I think all tachographs these days are automatic driving, that is they will automatically record driving activity when the truck is moving regardless of what mode the tacho is on. I’ve not seen a manual driving tachograph for years, they were the one’s that had the steering wheel symbol on the mode selection.

You need to select the relevent mode for the activity you are doing, Bed for breaks, Crossed hammers for other work and square with a diagonal line for periods of availability. It’s best to drive on other work and then change modes to rest or POA. I think VOSA take a dim view of tacho cards which show only driving and rest, because the driver can’t be bothered to change modes.

If you working day is between 6 and 9 hours then you under the WTD you need 30 mins of break, if you work more than 9 hours then that is increased to 45 mins, breaks can be a minimum of 15 minutes.
Obviously if you drive for 4:30 or over then your breaks have been taken care of because of the requirment to take breaks under the Driver hours regs.