New driver diary. Day 1

Hi guys and gals.

I posted on another forum on here about me getting my first break and landing a class 1 job. After many congrats messages and some good advice, someone suggested that I write a diary on here so others may have an idea what its like when you first start out. Good idea I thought so here I go.

To start, I thought it might be worth explaining where I’ve come from. As i passed my car test in 1990 I have ‘grandfather’ rights so i went into driving 7.5t for a couple of years doing multi-drop. After passing my cat ‘C’ in Dec 07 i went to an agency and managed to get a temp to perm driving class 2 with Hiab (i’d done my crane course right after my driving test). After a year there i was laid off due to the start of the credit crunch. Two years later i passed my C+E first time which was only 6 weeks ago.

After MANY MANY phone calls and app forms filled in, a mate called me to tell me that they needed someone at his place and he’d put in a good word for me. Interview later that day and, after my mates ‘word’, I was offered a job and I started this morning (Saturday).

So, 8am today I had to report to the transport office of Seymour Transport in Barnsley. Induction over and I’m shown the monster that I will be driving for the next couple of weeks. An automatic Volvo Globetrotter 6x2. It’s ■■■■■■■ HUGE and much bigger than what I took my test in, a DAF CF. Anyhow, as I’m doing tramping work, I get my gear from the car and start making the Volvo something like home. I’ve been wondering/worrying where I’m gonna store all my kit but after climbing into the cab for the first time I find i had nothing the be bothered about.

For those of you that have never been in a BIG truck before, like me before today, let me try and explain the layout a little (I’m sure someone my correct me if I’m not quite right). Above the windscreen you have three hatches, a large one in the centre and two smaller ones either side. Turn around and you will find this repeated above the bunk. On this Volvo you will find a fridge in the right hand side one but I’m not sure this is the norm. Below the bunk there is a large slide out draw which looks to have been used for paperwork in my turck. There is also a lock box which looks like a safe. In addition you have your normal cubbyholes and cup holders that you find in most vehicles.

If you jump out the truck and stand next to the door, reach inside the cab and you will find a ‘pull’, give it a tug and a bin will open on the outside behind the open door. This I have used for my ‘mucky’ stuff in the past on class 2. Stuff like Hi Viz and boots. This is repeated on the other side.

So to my ‘grafting’ part of the day today. The load for Monday are sheets of reinforced mesh. Three stacks of the stuff and I think I read it was 29t worth. Hell, this is gonna be fun. Three ratchet straps per stack and then its time to drive to thing. Ok here we go, looked for the clutch peddle then remembered its an auto. Selected ‘A’ and eased my foot on the gas and it moved. So far, so good. However, the forward motion didn’t last long, about 40m. Then, my first time in a big truck, I had to reverse about 200m, down a slope and around a bend to park it up ready to go at 4am on Monday. I took my time and went steady and after a couple of little shuffles i managed to get it where i wanted it and without hitting anything. I was well happy!

Scotland bound on Monday. Heading to Dumfries then Motherwell and then on to East Lothian. I’ll be northbound A1 then A66 west then M6 north. I’ve no idea who long this is gonna take me as I’ve done nothing like it before. The last drop is in East Lothian and I will be dropping the trailer there too and heading south ‘Bobtail’ (I think thats what they call driving without a trailer, lol.).

My intention is to post again as soon as I get near the internet and I’ll do it day by day. I hope to include all that I have learnt as a new driver of class 1 in my first few days/weeks. My aim is to try and help anyone in my position today, sat here nervous about driving a proper truck for the first time.

Apologies if this has gone on a bit but i hope it has been of some use.

If you see me this next week, white Volvo with Seymour, Logistic Magicians across the front in red, do two things for me. One, please don’t get in my way or it could go very wrong! Two, give me a wave and let me know someone has bothered to read this to the bottom.

Take care,
Gloria.

all the best gloria and take it easy … you’ll be fine … :smiley:

Very entertaining! Just take care with that load cos it’s got a habit of shaking itself loose. Hope straps are up to it; I always used chains when I did it.

Always great to hear of newbies getting a start. Well done, take care and report back. I’m waiting on the edge of my seat!!

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Sounds good. I’m hoping to get some tramping work like this come the new year as well.

Enjoy. I’ll be reading.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Gonna try post a pic of my truck.

truck.jpg

Paul Gloria Meadows:
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Gonna try post a pic of my truck.

is that loading out of brc in barnsley ■■

Interesting read , congradtulations on passing your C+E , good luck paulgloriameadows with your new job, hope you have a good run - take your time & enjoy. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Paul Gloria Meadows:
Hi guys and gals.

I posted on another forum on here about me getting my first break and landing a class 1 job. After many congrats messages and some good advice, someone suggested that I write a diary on here so others may have an idea what its like when you first start out. Good idea I thought so here I go.

That was me and I’m glad I did. Interesting read, thanks.

Hi PaulGloria
Thanks for the report, I am slowly plucking up the nerve to get back into a 1, been driving 2’s for 2 weeks now after a 20 year break!! I had my first job offer this morning but turned it down for the moment as its £6.50 an hour (first 40 hours) 72 hours a week, as I said to the guy I’m getting £8 an hour driving rigids for an agency and its good regular work. I will give them a ring after chrimbo if the agency stuff drys up.
Good luck with your first run, looking forward to reading the next instalment.

Great stuff Gloria and well done on getting the Seymours job.
Look forward to hearing the next installment. :wink:

Congratulations on the new job hope everything goes fine and dandy and that you enjoy it will be looking for your next post with interest

all the best

Jennie x

All looking good for you -------but get that truck washed!! :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
All looking good for you -------but get that truck washed!! :laughing: :laughing:

I totally agree Peter! From what I’m told the guy that had it before me was a waste of space and only washed it when he was forced to by management. First job when parked up tommorow night is clean the interior. It’s worse than the outside. Scruffy [zb]. I’ve only got it for two weeks at most as it’s a lease truck and it’s going back. I’m promised a brand new Scania if I impress.

Anyhow, I’m still bricking it but only a few hours before the off. Going to bed in about an hours time as I’m up at 3am and on the road at 4am. I know I’m away until at least Tuesday night but not sure what I’m doing after that but I’ll post as soon as I can.

Thanks for all the positive coments. Be back soon.

Gloria.

If the auto-censor catches a word, adding asterisks as a dodge doesn’t make that word become acceptable. dd. :wink:

That’s a quality diary mate, nice one!! :smiley:

You’re gonna try getting the scania then. Let us know what its like having a new truck.

Great diary…look forward to reading how you get on and hopefully a happy ending in 2 weeks with a brand new scania! thanks

Good luck Gloria, take your time and don’t be afraid to ask for help. You will make mistakes, again dont be afraid to own up to the bigger ones asap as it will give your boss more time to sort them out and keep the customer happy. If you end up in a new truck in a few weeks time I think you owe your mate a good Xmas pressie. A lot of time served drivers would very lucky to get the Volvo never mind the new truck.