A Diary of a Class 2 Newbie's Training week!

Hey all as promised i am going to atempt to keep a Diary / Blog of my training week which started today, hope its ok, happy reading!!!

DAY 1

Well today started early for me lol was awake by 4:30am, a mixture of nerves and excitement lol, had to catch the train at 6:10 (its cheaper than driving), Got over to Garretts Green about 7:45 where i was met by my Instructor for the week, A guy called Darren from A1 Driver Training, we then wandered over to my trusty steed for the week, a year 2000 W reg ovlov (sorry Volvo) FM7 with a lovelly Four-over-Four Gearbox (Picture Attached) from Hughes Driver Training!!

Darren then explained and showed me the Engine and its components, Where the Dipstick was, The Oil Filler, Brake Fluid resevoir, Header Tank and screen wash bottle!! I then jumped in the passenger seat and Darren in the Drivers, she turned over 1st time and while the air tanks were charging darren explained to me where all the controls were, what the gauges were, how to adjust the stearing wheel and the seat (which was really helpfull as im 6ft4 lol).

He then told me that there would be 2 of us training this week, which i know isnt alot of peoples cup of tea but i found it usefull to observe anouther newbie as it was to try and learn by his mistake if you know what i mean, sometimes its easier to absorb while not trying to do everything at Once!!

Anyway the other guy drove for an hour before me and oh boy what an education to watch from inside the cab, you see trucks going down the road and you think to yourself, that looks great to drive, looks easy i reckon i could do that no probs!! Oh no dont kid yourself its a whole heap harder than it looks :open_mouth: :open_mouth: !!!

After that hour it was my turn, Darren took us to a quiet industrial estate called Hams Hall, Pulled up at the side of the road and said "Right Dave in you jump and have a play with the gearbox, get used to how it works and block changing!!! :confused: Once id had a play for 10 mins or so Darren said off you go gently accelarate and then try the brakes!! Next big shock there sharp lol time to almost headbut the windscreen lol!!! Then he said right dave now thats done just follow my directions lol (me thinking oh ■■■ here i go!!) in at the deep end as they say and i have to say it was excilerating to be behind the wheel finally!! and then scary at the same time all of a sudden traffic starts to build, you gotta start thinking so many steps ahead, what gear am i in where do i need to be positioined where am i going what gear do i need is it safe to proceed, check mirrors indicate 5th gear go for it if its clear and then it all starts again.

Right then so im off, im driving and loving it but still pooing it lol but gradually getting used to the size of the FM7!! Off from there A452 off towards sollihul (lots of traffic aghhh) but i cope!! Were off to the practice area next to Aston Villa football club for the other guy to practice his reversing as it would be in the test!! (He is on test at 1:30) then Darren says “Right Dave your turn” lol but i do it, and i do it right first time and then i nail it the second time :smiley: me well chuffed with myself lol!! The the other guy drives us back to Garretts green for his Test at 1:30.

After the break and unfortunatelly the other lad failing on something that was really out of his control i get my hands back on the truck for the last hour and a half!! Wow loads of traffic and loads of concentration and quite a few tellings off from Darren for my speed which wasnt massive only like 25 but it was always approaching hazards or Junctions.

My biggest lesson today was get out of car mode!!! :confused: Trucks are an entirelly different beast driven totally diferent in a totally different style to a whole new set of rules!! Like i said earlier its nowhere near as easy as it seems when you see those professional drivers doing it!!!

All in all ive had a superb day, thoroughly enjoyed it and to be honest if i hadnt i think i would have picked the wrong vocation to enter!!! If you cant enjoy what your doing your either doing something wrong or its not for you!! All i can say is BRING ON DAY 2!!!

Night peeps il do Day 2 for you all tommorrow night!!!

Dave

Sounds like you had a good 1st day Dave, it takes a day or two to get out of car mode ( i was the same when i did my c in April, training diary on the forum somewhere!!) and then driving the truck will become more natural and easier, enjoy tomorrow and just remember to slow your speed right down on absolutely EVERTHING that you do and this will make for a smoother drive :sunglasses:.

Good luck for tomorrow :slight_smile:

John.

driverjohn:
Sounds like you had a good 1st day Dave, it takes a day or two to get out of car mode ( i was the same when i did my c in April, training diary on the forum somewhere!!) and then driving the truck will become more natural and easier, enjoy tomorrow and just remember to slow your speed right down on absolutely EVERTHING that you do and this will make for a smoother drive :sunglasses:.

Good luck for tomorrow :slight_smile:

John.

Dave, I have to agree with the above. I had the same initial problems when I did my Class C last month (passed fist time :grimacing: ) Slow it right down for any junction/ roundabout and get the gear right for the situation. Also keep a check on your mirrors incase some nugget wants to do you on a roundabout (not funny when they try :smiling_imp: ). You do have to plan so much further ahead due to the size, time it takes to slow down etc.

ENJOY IT, and don’t forget if you don’t get a stiff neck then you ain’t looking enough :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I also agree with both comments.

I didn’t have too much trouble getting out of ‘car mode’ but everyone is different. Get on the brake earlier and take it nice and smooth.

Its a good idea (a bit closer to the test) to ask your instructor about the examiners at the test centre. Examiners are all different and they like to see different things from the driver on test.

Firstly it has been pointed out to me by ROG that A1 and Hughes are infact the same company!! And this has been confirmed by Darren my instructor also lol :smiley:

DAY 2

Right then, so my second day of training!!! Started much the same as yesterday up early, there for 7.45ish, met Darren who showed me the walk round checks as he was doing them although got to admit a little bit of a blur now cause of the rest of the day :smiley: lol then i hoped in the passenger side as we had to go round the corner to meet the new guy that will be training at the same time as me called Tony!!

Right then me driving first today!! Was realy excited alot less nervous today as i kinda knew what to expect, problem being you kinda find yourself a little to over confident at first but i rained myself in drove one of what is apparantly the most common test route that the examiners use, and i was congratulated on an excellent drive, kept gettinng a bollocking for not checking my mirrors before braking and not using my nearside mirror to full effect but ive drilled thiiis in to my head and gradually getting better!!

So ofcourse now im buzzing cause i did good which was a nice feeling but later i get bought back down to earth lol!!

Anyway now it was tonys turn to do what i did yesterday up at Hams Hall, where we went again this morning, he had a play with the gearbox and off he went ,a little bit rocky as he is used to drivng a little 7.5t so he was kinda over confident in his own words as he didnt realise that it was so different, him being used to a standard gearbox and now having to use a four over four, just goes to show that even when u drive small trucks its difficault to train yourself in the ways of bigger ones!!!

Anyway quick break and im back on the road, this time Sollihul, Kitts green, Aston loads i cant remember them all!! This was where my stumbling block came trying to process everything i needed to do in heavy traffic as well as trying to forward think what my next move has to be, you know whats infront of me, what are traffic lights doing, whats that pedestrian doing, which lane do i need to be in aswell as checking mirrors indicating braking checking for the right gear blind spots and on and on and on, you dont realise exactly how much information your trying to process, absorb and action in what is actually a really small moment in time and that your actions have to be the right ones or the consequencess could be horrific!!!

Anyway a few scares but in actual fact i think it did me good because it taught me even more the value of slowing things down and acting in sequence!!!

The day went on tony driving then me driving and then tony driving then me and finally i managed to totally relax, concentrate get confortable and really enjoy myself and oh what a surprise everything came together my gears, my speed, my turns, my mirrors, my planning etc then darren decides to test me with the worst test route they use which i actually really enjoyed lol Loads of really tight turns, nast exits from roundabouts and roads, low bridges, narrow roads, speed bumps so on so forth but i got them all spot on, admitidly i did get bollocked for my nearside mirror again but im learning to do it more often!!!

Anyways im off to bed got to be up at 4am got to be in Garrets green for 5.45am lol got my mod 4 at 9:30 so hopefully my theory of treating the examiner the a proper dumb idiot and explaining every little thing i do etc will see me through!!!

Night Night Peoples

Dave

Day 3 of a 5 day course can go a bit awry and it’s quite normal as it gets righted on day 4

On a 5 day monday to friday course we used to call it Woeful Wednesday or another word beginning with ‘W’

Goodluck with the rest of your training mate. Yeah all of us on our training at one time or another were in car mode, it’s normal and you will adjust. It’s all about slowing everything down and forward planning as you now know. Goodluck.

DAY 3

Well Day 3 started early for me was up just after 4 :exclamation: :exclamation: as had to be over at Garretts Green for 6 for a couple of hours training for my Mod 4 cpc which was booked for 8:30, got there about 5:45 a llittle nervous as i guess would be expected having a test in a few hours!!

Met Darren and started straight away went through all the questions that could be a asked, all 20 of them, fortunatly you only get asked 5 of them :exclamation: :exclamation: Good run through loads of explinations from Darren, cab drills, really explaing the daily walked round checks and also explained that you were able to take a check list in with you to the test, what a god send!! ( You would do this in everyday life so do it in your test makes your life alot easier) Had a play with a tensioning bar, strap and chain and chain tensioner which are all actually really easy to operate :exclamation: :exclamation:

Asked Darren some questions that were what most people would think as silly questions but my, opinion is if you dont no or unsure then ask!!! Same applys when i start working If you dont know then ASK :exclamation: :exclamation:

Right then into my test i go early as well lol!!! Examiner came in assked me to sign the decleration, checked my licence, entitilements and my mod 2 pass certificate etc then asked me to lead the way to my vehicle (by this point im bricking it, but just kept telling myself i could do it) :smiley:

Along Came my questions, Can you tell me what checks you would make to the fuel system before setting out in bad weather conditions etc etc You have stoped for a rest break before boarding a ferry what check should you make when returning to your vehicle, Could you show me the daily walk round checks, can you show me what check you would make before setting of on your first journey etc and i cant remember the last one for the life of me lol anyway breased through it in 15 mins (meant to take 30 lol) and PASSED 100% well chuffed :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

So after the excitement of the morning on with the rest of the day, alot more driving around trying to master my msm (mirror signal manouver) working on block changing, braking, lots of tight manouvers in and around birmingham airport, garrets green, and sollihul oh and poxy spaghetti junction/ star city what a ■■■■ of a place lol!!!

All in all my day was pretty good oh and it was my BIRTHDAY aswell so it was a good present to myself lol!!!

Right all Day 4 coming later

Bye for now

Dave

Well done on the Mod 4 pass Dave, great result!
Got mine to do soon, had heard you could take a check sheet in with you but wasn’t sure so that’ll be helpful!
Good luck on the rest of the training and Happy Birthday :slight_smile:

Good stuff matey!!

I cant wait to get my mod 4 lined up just waiting on the DVLA. I rang them just now and they have issued the C+E and posted it yesterday. As I was on the phone I noticed that my examiner on the C+E has entered my details wrong :imp: :imp: He’s got my surname wrong and my driving licence number wrong.

I just spoke to the DSA and they corrected it before it went to the DVLA, I’m just hoping now that I don’t have a problem with claiming my money back from react as the pass certificate has a different number and surname to mine :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

started my class 2 training yesterday at apex in peterborough, got my mod 4 on the 20th of this month, got my class 2 test friday morning, packing my pants, messed up on a hill start today,forgot to put the switch down on the gears so tryed to pull away in 7th, apart from that ■■■■ up doing ok i think,

DAY 4

Ok so onto day 4 of my training which was on friday just gone! Started at 8 which was nice lol although still totally knackered from the day before, tony was with me today aswell doing his training so each of us driving an hour then swapping!

Drove around all the usual places we have been to during last week and finally think i cracked it, nice smooth drive slowed it down gear changes perfect and even using my mirrors now (mainly because darren started calling them boobies lol) :smiley: anyway we went off to aston to do a few hours of reversing excercise which i have to say i craked first go!!! :smiley: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: see video and photos.

iphone 053.JPG

iphone 054.JPG

facebook.com/video/video.php … 4954473352

This went on and then tony drove around for a few hours and didnt he get a crap test route lol glad i wasnt driving, went down this road and Darren said id like to turn left after the hump back bridge which he did then round a bend to be faced with a low bridge that we couldnt fit under and some nice person had nicked the sign on the bridge before so we didnt know lol, so tony then had to reverse blind round a tight bend then up over the bridge we just crossed and turn right this time to find after a few bends that it was just getting tighter and tigter but all credit to him he slowed it right down and got through!!! I learnt alot from just watching from the back of the cab!!! Slow it right down, right gears, plan and work your way through if you have to go up the kerb then u have to!!! At this point i learnt in my test that if i have to munt the kerb to avoid an obsticle or a tight bend aslong as i inform the examiner that i am going to have to do it it will be fine!!

So day 4 over test on monday 11:30 and bricking it lol but im sure i will be fine!!

il do day 5 later

cheers

Dave

DAY 5 TEST DAY

So Day 5 started early up at 5 had to be at Garretts green for 7 to get in some final practice before my test!!! By this point nerves are taking over, sweaty palms and so on so forth anyway i tried to stay focused and calm, i ended up driving for 3 hours as tony had had problems with his little daughter and was waiting for his mrs to fly home so in a way helped me a great deal lol!!! Did 3 test routes, birmingham airport, sollihull icerink and also what i called the jag/ star city route which in honesty was not my fave as it was busy and today even busier with the kids back at school!! Anyway practice perfect as they say just had to do it in my test!!

We parked up waiting for tony and i went through the show me tell me questions again and again and again asking silly questions but as i said yesterday always ask!!!

This carried only while tony was driving for an hour and the nerves growing with intensity lol eventually making our way back to the test centre!! Time for me to chain smoke for 10 mins lol and actually calm myself down and kept telling myself just to enjoy it!!! If i saw the examiner put pen to paper not to worry about it theres was nothing i could do about it so just get on with it lol!!!

Right then in i go sitting in that tiny box of a waiting room waiting for the examiner to come in and seal my fate lol

In come the examiner sign the forms check my licence etc and i ask if Darren can accompany me on the test which he can, result that helps settle the neves lol the examiner says please lead me to your vehicle, we step outside he asks me to drive the vehicle to the reversing area and stop just between the 2 trees! I do this stop switch the engine off and exit the vehicle using all points of contact dont wanna mess up before ive even started lol!!!

Right the examiner shows me the diagram of the reversing excercise and says that when im ready i may begin, so in i hop and off i go, nice slow pace up to the cones positioning as far to the left as i can to allow for the manouver then off i go reversing nice and slow keeping the wheel off the yellow line accross the area straightening up between the cones and reversing back till the cheat on the mudguard is in line with the front of the yellow box and bingo spot on!!

Next come the show me tell me stuff!! First questions can you show me how you would check the mudguards, second can you show me how you would check the wheel nuts, third, can you tell me what checks you would make to the tyres, fourth can you tell me what measures should be taen when loading the vehicle!!! bingo all correct! he then explains all the procedures for the test and off we go!! Right out of the industrial estate, right at the roundabout and left at the lights, oh buggeration i think were off into town!!! Asked to pull up safelly on the left 6 times during my test and got them all ok!! slowly it began to dawn on me that we were doing the test route that i had only driven 2 hours before hand lol RESULT im now enjoying myself relaxing and just processing things as i go along!!! Independant driving follow the signs for birmingham airport did this for 10 mins and then went back in the way i came out!! Ye i saw the examiner putting pen to paper during my test but i just tried to let it go over my head, there was nothing i could do about it!!! Finally back to the test centre pulled up and switched the engine off and …PASSED :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: YIPEE WOOHOO 6 minors only and a test pass certificate!!! Lience surrenderd and on to Class 1 now WOOHOO YIPEE

Im well chuffed, I cant that Darren and A1/Hughes for a fantastic 5 days, excellent tuition, great vehices to drive and with hope i will be doing my class 1 with him aswell but this time in northampton!! and to be honest i cant wait!! Anyone thinking about doing training then i highly reccommend Hughes!!

Thanks everyone for reading hope you enjoyed and it helped!!!

Cheers

Dave

Well done on the result.

Seemed like you enjoyed it so that made it easier for you.

Onwards and upwards to class 1.

Ps 6 minors is a good mark. I got 8 and was still happy with the result.

Dean.

Congratulations mate!!!

Congrats Dave, nice result!
The diary was a good read too, good luck for your C+E training :slight_smile:

Well done mate fantastic result

Well done Dave :sunglasses: . Great result. :smiley: :smiley:

just had my hgv class 2 test and i PASSED with 8 minors, absolutely buzzing, done my training with apex in peterborough or i would highly recommend training was top class, next is the mod 4 cpc on the 20 june, :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Well done mate that’s great I know it’s a great feeling when u pass I felt wicked lol!!! Ur mod 4 will be fine it’s easy along as your prepare properly and treat the examiner as if he’s dumb and doesn’t know anything also remember u can take a checklist for your daily walkround checks with you!!!

Dave