Dear diary...now passed Class C

I started today and it went really well and I really enjoyed it.

Got there about 20 mins early so had a ■■■ and a cup of coffee while I waited. Then watched a dvd, went out had a quick look around the truck and my instructor showed me where oil, water etc went. Then he drove over to Hams Hall where I took over. We went up and down these two roads for about an hour and half so I could get use to the gear box which I think I have almost got. I made a couple of mistakes like I approached a roundabout a but quick then got muddled up with the gears and clipped the kerb but that was right at the start and it didnt happen again. My other mistake was trying to pull away in 7th gear forgot to flick the range change down when he asked me to pull over. My instructor knew I hadnt flicked the switch but didnt tell me because he said I would remember to do it after trying to pull away in 7th. After driving around for about 2 hours the instructor took over and drove back to the yard, where they were moving the artic and other rigid around because the artic was out early for a test and the instructor asked me to reverse the wagon in to park it up.

It really is amazing how different you have to think when driving them but it really does make sense to just take your time, makes driving much easier that said I came away with one hell of a head ache think its all the thinking :wink:

Back in tomorrow at 12 and am really looking forward to it.

Nice one Big Brummie Macca - at least you didn’t crash it so you must be doing well :laughing:

I’m looking forward to following your diary and hopefully pick up osme pointers :bulb:

Nice one :smiley:

Who are you training with?

Well done! You will get into the swing of things soon!

Im training with A1 training in garretts green. The instructor I had today was really good, the sort of bloke you could have a pint and a good laugh with which helped me relax, and he had a few tricks into getting me thinking.

One thing I really got out of today was always think ahead. I was driving around the industrial estate and only had to stop when he asked me to pull up oh yeah and when a nice stobart driver decided he wasn’t going to stop even though the obstruction was on his side of the road but I suppose he had deliveries to do and I was just taking my time.

Sounds like you had a good day i presume you have five days training as i did dont get put off if you screw up just learn from it and carry on i remember that a couple of days went oh my god i cant do this really frustrating as knew what to do just didnt happen but you will get that just remember as long as all the ■■■■ ups come b4 the test then your ok :exclamation: :exclamation: jx

Nah im on a 10 day course think its so they can get more money from the funding organisation, but at least it gives me more time to prepare for the test.

2nd Day

I really enjoyed today, had a different instructor and different truck still an ERF with 8 speed range change. That is one thing I like about this company they have 2 rigids and 1 artic all ERF with the same box. Anyway back to today Roger the instructor drove us over to Hams Hall again and then I jumped into the drivers seat and done about half an hour driving around the estate. Kevin directed me to the sandwich bar while he had his sandwich I had a quick ■■■ then jumped back in the truck and went through the pulling off routine obviously without the engine on as he was out of the cab. Then he asked me to turn it round because its a dead end there was an artic and another rigid parked up which didnt make this very easy but managed it with two shunts and roger said I had done well. He then asked if I felt ready to go out on the roads so I said yes and off we went. Along the a446 onto the a452 towards Warwick and Leamington spa. All was going well apart from a couple of islands I approached a little to quick which then means Im rushing myself clipped the kerb once but got away with it the second time. Any tips for this are welcome. We went down as far as the A46 and then headed towards Coventry. Onto the A45 and we came off through a village cant remember the name of it now but for anyone in the know was the turning before the Texaco garage. Kevin asked me to pull over and then asked me to proceed when safe. My fist hill start was smooth but I rolled back a little so need to work on that. We then headed back towards Coleshill and then through Chelmsley Wood and back to the yard.

All in all I am happy Kevin didnt give to much away but felt he was happy with my performance as well just got to sort out approaching roundabouts and hill starts. It was brilliant to get up into top gear and doing 50 in a truck feels like 150 lol. Once again I really cant wait for tomorrow in at 11:30 hope I get the same truck as the clutch is a bit less brutal.

Good stuff, i started my training on weds aswell its good to hear from someone else who is learning at the same level, There is 2 of us on our lorry training kinda wish it was 1 to 1 as i find it easier but as its a funded training programe just got to go with it,the instructor turned the heat up on us today by braking the news right lads next thursday is your test day (so much for it being a 10 day course :open_mouth: )
good luck with tommorow fella.

The truck im training in :smiley:

hi i think i might have seen you round by test center was u with kev outside the (cafe) van by test center yesterday? i got my test tomorrow at garrets green and i also found it intresting i also pulled off in 7th lol nothing like the smell of clutch ey lol with blue triangle training

dodester:
Good stuff, i started my training on weds aswell its good to hear from someone else who is learning at the same level, There is 2 of us on our lorry training kinda wish it was 1 to 1 as i find it easier but as its a funded training programe just got to go with it,the instructor turned the heat up on us today by braking the news right lads next thursday is your test day (so much for it being a 10 day course :open_mouth: )
good luck with tommorow fella.

And Good luck for you aswell mate, mines 1 to 1 luckily he must feel confident in your ability dont think he would put you through a test to fail if you know what I mean so take it as a compliment. Where are you training and who with. Yeah it is good to hear from someone doing class c aswell how is your going.

SI_A:
hi i think i might have seen you round by test center was u with kev outside the (cafe) van by test center yesterday? i got my test tomorrow at garrets green and i also found it intresting i also pulled off in 7th lol nothing like the smell of clutch ey lol with blue triangle training

Not me mate was with Glen on Hams Hall what does Kev look like you have got me worried now that I have been calling him the wrong name all day :wink:

Blue triangle is Contact transports training arm isnt it,

GOOD LUCK with your test mate.

yea it is i only found out about them via a mate to be fair i cant fault them so far 4 days and test i’ve had 1 to 1 training because the other lad didn’t show up on monday so lucky there yea heard of glen too i think kev was quite a big lad, truck’s not too bad either daf cf was gonna go with a1 but for some reason my gaffer really didn’t want to from past experiances dunno what the problem was they both passed lol thanks for the good luck i need it lol

Yes mate you are right it is Kev been calling him Roger all day lol, Dont think he noticed either though. Might get the name right tomorrow then. To be honest both Glen and Kev are good in my opinion Glen is a bit of a comedian and Kev is more the serious type nice blokes both of them. I cant fault them at all to be honest, they call back when they say they will, haven’t messed me around at all. But if your gaffer has had one bad experience some times that is all it takes but as long as you pass mate it doesn’t matter lol.

Im sure you will be fine mate, just remember what you have been taught and take it easy. If you get Simon kev was saying today he likes to take you out abit further you just got to hope he remembers the way back lol.

SI_A
FROM HERE
:
… got my test at garrets green 1.30pm tomorrow !

I wonder if Big Brummie Macca will be there cheering you on…

I really wouldnt look good in a cheer leaders outfit :laughing:

Big Brummie Macca:
I really wouldnt look good in a cheer leaders outfit :laughing:

(in Basil Brush voice) POM POM !!

Big Brummie Macca:
Yes mate you are right it is Kev been calling him Roger all day lol, Dont think he noticed either though. Might get the name right tomorrow then. To be honest both Glen and Kev are good in my opinion Glen is a bit of a comedian and Kev is more the serious type nice blokes both of them. I cant fault them at all to be honest, they call back when they say they will, haven’t messed me around at all. But if your gaffer has had one bad experience some times that is all it takes but as long as you pass mate it doesn’t matter lol.

Im sure you will be fine mate, just remember what you have been taught and take it easy. If you get Simon kev was saying today he likes to take you out abit further you just got to hope he remembers the way back lol.

lol i wouldnt mid that i hate solihul just dont wanna go round there lol

Big Brummie Macca:

The truck im training in :smiley:

Thats a nice motor to learn in, i think its pretty much the same as the man tga that i been driving,
Sounds like your doing well, the best advice i have is to slow it down, that way you dont have to think to quick and it will all come together :smiley:

:arrow_right: KEEP ON TRUCKING :arrow_right: