New break lengths?

I was told this week that the rules regarding four and a half hour breaks have changed. Now I’m informed we should take a twenty minute and a twenty five minute or a fourty five minute minute break. I’ve got a sneaky feeling that this is one of those myths that get spread about, but you can’t be too careful. Anybody want to clarify this.

The rules haven’t changed yet, they are due to do so in the future but for now it is the same old rules. Then again

knight:
Now I’m informed we should take a twenty minute and a twenty five minute or a fourty five minute minute break.

Either of those options are available under the current rules so it wouldn’t be much of a change. :wink: :smiley:

Yes but under the current rules both the twenty and the twenty five would only count as fifteen minutes each. So instead of the full forty five minutes you would have only taken thirty minutes. so you would be running illegaly.

Knight,

Not so - to count towards your 45 a break only has to be a minimum of 15 minutes

Correct petrock, don’t know where you got that idea from Knight??

I often use the 25/20 split & at the co. I drive for at present, every chart is analysed…it ain’t thrown anything up yet, nor is it likely to.

Sometimes I have 15 mins. 20 mins. Then a further 15. Then I’m all clean & green for a new 4 1/2 hrs.

I dont know exactly when its happening, but I think I read in Truck & Driver that its going to change to a minimum of 30 minutes after 2 1/2 hours driving. Dont quote me on this as I`ve often been wrong - just ask my missus :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Regards
Trev

There have been rumours floating around for ages regarding new drivers hours regulations. Several draft regulations have been put before various EC working groups and submitted for consultation to ‘trade organisations.’ Each time a draft regulation is ammended another group suggests a further ammendment and it’s back to square one!! :smiley:
The new regulations were supposed to come into force with digital tachographs in August this year. The intro of those has been put back until at least August 2005 so it was proposed that the new drivers hours should start in January 2005, can’t see that somehow.
In the meantime, the RTD which comes into force in March 2005 will require mobile workers to have a break of at least 30 minutes after 5 hours of work and / or driving. Periods of Availability don’t count towards the 5 hour limit. A break under EC driving regulations counts as a break under RTD and the EC driving limits still apply. This was done as some drivers eg; local multi drop could be working for 9 or 10 hours but would not take a break as their driving would never reach 4.5 hours. Strictly speaking a legal situation but far from ideal for all concerned (apart from the bosses :cry: )
In the meantime it’s carry on as normal; a break is any period equal to or greater than 15 minutes during which the driver does not work or drive. So it would be perfectly legal to have 17 minutes then 28 minutes so long as the 4.5 hours driving is not exceeded.

Okay hang my head in shame :blush: I got it wrong. But at least I got it wrong to the safe side. My tachos are all analysed without any major probs. Don’t know why, but I had got it into my head that the breaks had to be in blocks of 15 mins or a 30min + 15 etc.
Geebee45 I think that is where this particular rumour arose, so thanks for pionting it out.

Our lot have been muttering about new rules which mean:

Minimum 11 hours rest per day no shortened breaks but split rest is still ok

4 hours driving before 30 minutes must be taken or 1 hour after 4.5

Still only in discussion stage I think :confused:

Got to admit I like the idea of a minimum of 11 hours break . How can you drive home, have a shower, have your tea and have a good nights sleep in 9 hours. Alright if you live next door to the yard and never have digestive problems.

knight:
Got to admit I like the idea of a minimum of 11 hours break . How can you drive home, have a shower, have your tea and have a good nights sleep in 9 hours. Alright if you live next door to the yard and never have digestive problems.

I will only reduce my daily rest when on a night out. If I’m going home for the night then it’s for eleven hours minimum, no arguements.
And Knight, I only live a mile away from our yard :smiley:

I’m not 100% sure on what stage they have got to in agreeing the changes to the rules but last I recall reading was that the daily rest would be increased to 12 hours, 3 x reductions to 9 can still be made however and compensation for the reduction (and weekly reduction) is no longer needed. The split rest option would go. Weekly rest no longer allowed to be reduced to 36 while at base but the 24 away from base still OK.

As far as I recall there is an option where 30 minutes rest can be taken after 3 hours instead of the 45 minutes after 4.5 and the option to split the rest into 2 or 3 periods of not less than 15 minutes will be removed.

This is all from memory so there may be a couple of things that aren’t spot on, can’t find a detailed account of the proposed changes at the moment.

As if I wasn’t confused before :open_mouth:

You don’t need to worry about that little lot yet, they haven’t set the date for it’s introduction yet. Most likely they will wait until the day after you have finally made sense of the present rules then do it. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Not be for a while then :smiley: :wink:

the 45 min break is something which causes a lot of arguments with the bosses, especially if Im on a bay at an RDC waiting to tip for several hours catching some ZZzzzz I know I should take the break while Im off the bay, but i tend to use a little initiative and take some or all of my break while on the bay but not actually involved in the tipping, especially if I`m at safeway/morrisons (5hrs in Droitwich last week :cry:)

BTW, safeway/morrisons new drop and drive initiative, I was asked in stockton “do I want drop and drive” by the woman in goods in.
I asked “whats involved?”
I was told that I go inside and help them tip and split it down, then theres no need to wait for paperwork
But knowing we dont get paid for transporting the load without PODs
I asked “how long would that take??”
“about 1hr” was the reply. :confused:
so I asked “how long would I be if i didn`t want drop and drive?”
“about 1 1/4 hrs” was the reply. :open_mouth:
so guess what option I chose??
ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz… :unamused:

peirre:
the 45 min break is something which causes a lot of arguments with the bosses, especially if Im on a bay at an RDC waiting to tip for several hours catching some ZZzzzz I know I should take the break while Im off the bay

You are not doing anything wrong, it’s perfectly legal to take the break as you describe, when not involved in tipping. What better break than aiming zzzzzzzzzzzzzz’s at the cab roof?

Coffeeholic:

peirre:
the 45 min break is something which causes a lot of arguments with the bosses, especially if Im on a bay at an RDC waiting to tip for several hours catching some ZZzzzz I know I should take the break while Im off the bay

What better break than aiming zzzzzzzzzzzzzz’s at the cab roof?

Oh I get plenty of that doing RDC work :laughing:
the only thing that spoils it is the sound of the fridge running or the peeps on the back bouncing on/off the dock leveller

If I’m on an RDC bay and they releive me of my keys and do not allow me into the warehouse,then I do the decent thing and switch it on break and catch flies for an hour or so. [zb] 'em I say :laughing: :laughing:

Coffeeholic:
This is all from memory so there may be a couple of things that aren’t spot on, can’t find a detailed account of the proposed changes at the moment.

Summary of the European Commission proposals
Position as at July 2004

fta.co.uk/information/keycam … hanges.htm