6 hour rule......

Had a few discussions today about after working 6 hours what break you need to take etc. Ive always taken a 15 at some point in the middle of morning then another half hour at end of my run to total 45 and reset driving time too which is enough for me on multidrop at moment. Spoke to a few drivers today and some saying I should be taking 30 minute break and others saying take a full 45! :smiley: Ive done it this way since started and I dont get any infringements!Actually working 6 hours not driving 6 hours)

I spend 6 hours on the road working, with usually just over 3 hours driving, between the hours of 6am to 12am away from the depot usually, I’ll have my 15 minute at about 10:30 get back about midday, other work until about 1pm and then have my 30 minute While I sit on a bay with my sandwiches, fanny arou d for another half hour making myself look busy, then clock out for 2. Works for me and my card is checked twice a day.

For WTD the rule is - a driver should do no more than 6 hours work at any point in the shift without A BREAK OF AT LEAST 15 MINS

As long as you are taking the second break of 30 before the 4.5 hours driving total occurs then on the work you do everything seems to be covered

Thought as much Rog. If I worked 12 hours say and still not doing 4.5 hours driving, im guessing two 15 minute breaks would be sufficient??

ValleysTrucker:
Thought as much Rog. If I worked 12 hours say and still not doing 4.5 hours driving, im guessing two 15 minute breaks would be sufficient??

Not if your total work is more than 9 hours because you need a total of 45 mins for that so if not going over 4.5 driving for the whole shift then 3 x 15s will suffice

Bonus Q.

If you start work at 07.30 and finish around 16:00 but only do 3.5 hours driving, would a single 30 minute break before 13:30 be enough to satisfy WTD regs?

I have moved the more in depth discussion of the law on this to HERE to avoid confusion. Those who want to participate please use the new thread for more general enquiries please ask in this thread

Tachograph I accidently deleted your reply to the post above while moving the rest of the posts apologies can you repost your reply please

tommymanc:
Bonus Q.

If you start work at 07.30 and finish around 16:00 but only do 3.5 hours driving, would a single 30 minute break before 13:30 be enough to satisfy WTD regs?

Yes, for a shift of 8.5 hours you only need a break/breaks of 30 minutes to comply with the WTD so as long as you don’t go over 6 hours working time without a break you’re fine.

Rikki-UK:
Tachograph I accidentally deleted your reply to the post above while moving the rest of the posts apologies can you repost your reply please

No worries,I thought I’d replied to this question before :smiley:

For those unsure the advice is

Take Rog and Tachographs advice and comply with the DFT guidance

the guidance can be read here
gov.uk/government/uploads/s … _rules.pdf