Need some help in the Ipswich area ? Job maybe?

Hi

I passed my class 2 last month but can’t find any class 2 work what so ever. I am 26 had a clean car/van licence for 8 years and done lots of multi-drop van work before for agencies in my area, I have sent about 40 letters off with my CV attached to local companies, I have phoned all the agencies and everyone says all my clients want 2years experience, is it really that hard to get a job as a lorry driver ■■

Just starting to think whats the point and wasted my money as I really dont have alot of options left, I even sent letters to companies advertising for experience and asking if they would give me a trial or start me as a drivers mate but still no luck.

Does anyone know anyone in Suffolk area that might help ? Or even the Chelmsford to Colchester area ?

Did want to do my class 1 but just can’t afford it till I get some work never thought it would be this hard, seems silly as you got to get the job to get the experience. Please help :unamused:

Hi
I live in Felixstowe and one of the reasons I had felt confident about getting a job once qualified was because of the docks.
I know lots of people who work for transport companies and they are always saying that they can’t get enough drivers!
Have you tried phoning some of the companies at the docks?

Sorry to say but yes it can be that hard to find a job as there are a lot of drivers out there who are looking & as you have found out most companies want at least 2 yrs experience & over 25 ( which you are ) due to insurance purpose

You could go back to to the agency & sign up with as many as you can & take any work that they give you even if it is van or 7.5t work as you may need to build up a reputation with them

This also comes form my own experience although I had a lot of van & 7.5 t work behind me I still had the same when I passed my licence & I am a bit older than you but dont give up hope as you will find some newbies have found jobs but they have been lucky

I am working for an agency but have being given a on going contract which is giving me the experience that I would like & need
but you never know is this line of work

Sorry not in your area so dont really know the agency there keep going something will turn up

No I must admit I havent phoned any of the dock companies as I assumed they would be mostly class 1 drivers ? I would love to get my class 1 but just have no more money left at this present time. Would there be a chance a company might want to help me pay for my class 1 ? What compaies do your friends work at ?

Yes way things are looking it may well be my only choice to work for a agecny driving 7.5t, didnt really want to spend ages doing that though as money would be very tight on that wage and you ever know how long for. Would however be better then going down the Jobcentre at Christmas time, just a shame more firms don’t give new drivers a chance well at least the 25 and older drivers

Hi
the people I’ve spoken to work at BAP and Goldstar. I asked about availability of class 2 work before I started my training, and I have been told there’s a lot out there.
Mind you, I suppose they may be talking about people with more than 2 years experience, although I don’t know how you’re supposed to get experience if nobody will give you a job in the first place!
Good luck anyway.

Hi and thanks I will have a ask round what else have I got to lose, and yes thats exactly what I have been saying how do you get the experience if no one will give you a chance. I remember quite a while ago people used to say companies are crying out for HGV drivers, now I can see why

keebs26uk:
I remember quite a while ago people used to say companies are crying out for HGV drivers, now I can see why

That was a myth that the job centre etc put out

Ok lets look at it from the bosses point you have 2 drivers walk in 1 with a shiny new licence 1 experienced who would you take :question: as remember that these units arnt cheap to buy ( 50k+ new ) then there is the trailer & goods & running cost

You could go round & visit all the comp in your area go dressed with CV taking some clothes with you in case they ask you do to a test drive

The pay here for van/7.5t Cat C is approx. the same but you never know as say you do take a van job at least you are out there talking to people you just might here of something or the agency will be able to see how you work then place you into a Cat C job or on an on going contract with the poss of full time ( I know that what happens where I work )

Dont give up it is coming up to christmas so there will be more work available then you will be gaining experience the 2 yr is only that you have had your licence for that long dosent stat any more than that so you could sit with said licence for 2 yr having not driven but you will have qualified for the 2 yr

Dont give up something will come along

Hi Keebs

We operate our training in Chelmsford, Essex. I am in the process of talking to various agencies in our area about getting a 1st time start for newly qualified guys over 25 and with clean(ish) licences.

Try calling David Quinn at Driverhire in Chelmsford. His number is 01376 516094. I spoke to him only last Friday and he was extremely upbeat about getting 1st timers placed with his clients.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Regards

John
Flair Training

Hi thanks for that I used to work many years ago for Driverhire in Colchester I shell give them both a ring and see what happens

Best advice is to going banging on doors looking for work, be smart and presentable and try and don’t forget to target the less obvious not so glamourous jobs where others might be less willing to work. Skip hire, scrap metal and that sort of thing, OK so it’s not the best but you’ll hardly be in a queue for the work. Once you have a job and a bit of expereience getting the next one is that bit easier.

Deffo worth going back to agencies you have used before as they know that you are reliable / punctual or whatever which is half the battle with temp drivers.

Went for an Interview today its only a small firm working out of a porter cabin, they said they are getting 2 new lorries at the end of the month and looking to move to bigger premises, seemed a nice guy.

They are willing to give me a try I think, they reacon they have regular work in London and the Midlands, said I would be driving a 18tonner with 4-5 drops a day with 1 or 2 at most nights out a week. Pays £450-£465 week ish but I would be self employed to start with as they are small firm but are looking to go on to a proper pay system in the future. Said they would helpp me get class 1 when they move.

What are your opinions ? Only bit I dont like sound of is London work but I know you got to take the rough with the smooth as they say, and suppose you get used to routes etc, I have done some night work for DHL in London and enjoyed it but nights are quite compared to days :slight_smile:

Sounds promising,

For starters if they give you a start it’s valuable experience, secondly the money sounds reasonable although that does depend on the number of hours that it actually needs to do the job.

An 18 tonner is a good starting pont on class 2 big enough to learn how to handle a biggish vehicle, a 12 tonner is just a jumped up puddle jumper. A 6 or 8 wheeler just needs a little more room for manoevering and a keener eye on the mirrors, not a massive problem for a new driver but 4 wheelers are just that bit easier to get about.

London is a neccessary evil if you are going to work in the South East, it’s a pain in the arse but it’s a big place with lots of people and a need for lots of stuff to be delivered. Class 2 work in this area will invariably drag you to London. You just have to crack on and suffer it but it’s valuable experience nonetheless.

New trucks and class 1 training may or may not happen, take anything you can get it’s all a bonus. Some companies will give a new driver a chance as they can get a driver without bad habits and hopefully mould them into their way of working.

I’d definately investigate further.