Near miss at work today

Was delivering 5 pallets into a supermarket RDC today when the tail lift on my truck sheared off with a one ton ish pallet on it nearly squashing the fella who was helping me. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Simon

on contract to gefco ?

hitch:
on contract to gefco ?

Used to be but not any more thank [zb]

simon

Somebodys a lucky lad! It looks like the welding has just given way, not burnt in properly, Is it one of those new fangled Zefco lifts?

No doubt there is a big health and safety investigation now Simon

or zepro :wink:

Wheel Nut:
No doubt there is a big health and safety investigation now Simon

Ive no idea i didnt hang about long enough to find out i got a lift back to my depot for another truck and as far as im aware my truck is still on there loading bay :unamused:

simon

if your truck is still on the bay,isuspect h&s will be informed and will investigate.but a lucky escape for all. :wink:

:open_mouth: :confused: Simon, did you have the tip of the tail-lift on the ramp, or did you have it right underneath in the slot, below the ramp ?
Got to say, some fine photos there. Very clear and well taken.
Supporting bracket does look too weak being only on one side of the trailer chassis, each side. Ummm, so to speak. :blush:

DAFMAD:
:shock: :confused: Simon, did you have the tip of the tail-lift on the ramp, or did you have it right underneath in the slot, below the ramp ?
Got to say, some fine photos there. Very clear and well taken.
Supporting bracket does look too weak being only on one side of the trailer chassis, each side. Ummm, so to speak. :blush:

The tail lift was under the lip of the ramp the rdc bloke then raised the ramp and extended it out onto my tail lift, I started to drag the pallet of the back when he jumped on my truck and started to push (900 kilo pallet) we got the thing half way onto the loading dock when the tail lift gave way and the pallet tipped the rdc bloke fell backwards and bounced of the rear of the truck and fell to his right just as the pallet toppled over where he was first stood i then fell ontop of the pallet.

The photo’s were taken on a sony/ericsson K700i mobile phone (very impressed with it) only had it a cople of weeks

simon

christ on a bike!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
whos a lucky lad then :exclamation: :exclamation:
those camera phones are great, every driver should have one :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
chris

Blimey, that’s one hell of a phone. Can you tell us what sort of cost - deal you got on that ?

not wishing to be overly critical but why didnt you place the taillift under the ramp it looks like it would go…(i can see you couldnt have the taillift on there dock)…at Halfords Redditch they insist that there ramp is on the taillift having seen your pictures i will refuse to do it in future

hitch:
not wishing to be overly critical but why didnt you place the taillift under the ramp it looks like it would go…(i can see you couldnt have the taillift on there dock)…at Halfords Redditch they insist that there ramp is on the taillift having seen your pictures i will refuse to do it in future

the tail lift is too long it sticks out a foot which meant the dock leveller wouldnt reach the bed of my truck

simon

DAFMAD:
Blimey, that’s one hell of a phone. Can you tell us what sort of cost - deal you got on that ?

I got the phone free on an orange contract which costs £30 a month with 400 free any network minutes plus 120 free texts and 30 photo messages a month

the camera on the phone is excelent it even has 4x digital zoom

simon

Looking further into that, i can see the problem now.

The taillift is designed to lift 1000kg and the loading ramp is sat on top of the taillift, with all that leverage, it will be like putting 2000kg on the ramp, 2 blokes and an uphill slope.

I think the answer is to push the tail lift under the bolt hole and if its too long, refuse to tip there. They will have to bring a fork lift outside to you :exclamation:

My truck is now off the road awaiting repair.

meanwhile ive been given this lovely motor to wreck

Take a look

Its got low miles though

simon

Simon, I hope you don’t mind, I’ve printed a couple of those piccy’s off and taken them into work where we use tail lifts all the time.
The other drivers were very impressed (NOT).

Dratsabasti:
Simon, I hope you don’t mind, I’ve printed a couple of those piccy’s off and taken them into work where we use tail lifts all the time.
The other drivers were very impressed (NOT).

Not at all
Ive also got some more pictures from about 2 years ago when a ride on forklift tipped over and bounced off my head.

simon

DAFMAD:
:shock: :confused: Simon, did you have the tip of the tail-lift on the ramp, or did you have it right underneath in the slot, below the ramp ?

That was my thought when I first saw the picture.

I recently did a job where I just had to drop the tail lift right down until it scraped along the floor, and then reverse the truck back onto the bay; the ramp was then extended so that it went straight into the back of the truck.

Your tail lift and loading bay look very similar to the ones I was using.

I’d try to do that if possible, since it takes all the load off the tail lift.

MrFlibble:

DAFMAD:

That was my thought when I first saw the picture.

I recently did a job where I just had to drop the tail lift right down until it scraped along the floor, and then reverse the truck back onto the bay; the ramp was then extended so that it went straight into the back of the truck.

Your tail lift and loading bay look very similar to the ones I was using.

I’d try to do that if possible, since it takes all the load off the tail lift.

it was too long to fit under i tried that first but the bed of the truck was about a foot away from the dock leveller

simon