My vote does NOT count!

I am in a safe labour seat so a vote for anyone else under this present first past the post system is pointless.

Anyone else have the same problem with this so-called democratic voting system :question:

ROG:
I am in a safe labour seat so a vote for anyone else under this present first past the post system is pointless.

Anyone else have the same problem with this so-called democratic voting system :question:

It is only safe if no one votes Rog. How sick would you be if there was only a single vote difference between the BNP and Labour?

Wheel Nut:

ROG:

It is only safe if no one votes Rog. How sick would you be if there was only a single vote difference between the BNP and Labour?

Not going to happen in my area mate - the majority vote labour and have done for years

I cannot understand why we have this antiquated system when the rest of the EU seem to hae PR where EVERY vote counts

Are most people actually bothered WHO is their LOCAL MP or are they more bothered as to which party is in office :question: :question:

ROG:
Are most people actually bothered WHO is their LOCAL MP or are they more bothered as to which party is in office :question: :question:

Neither, makes no difference who the person is or who is in power as far as I can see.

ROG:

Same here. They don’t count the votes, they weigh them. Put a red coat on a wippet and they’ll vote for it!
The brainless bint has a 15000 majority, there’s no chance of a change here.

Stan

wouldnt count on any labour seat being safe this time round

I have a very simplistic view of PR suffice to say that they have it in Italy and have had 60 parties in power since the end of the 2nd world war. 60 different ruling parties in 65 years. How can there be any sustainable policies using that system?

With PR you could get a “Vegetarian Party” candidate in “Yorkshire West” who could win a seat in parliament, and also control the local council, councillors and civil servants who would be chosen from the same party supporters. 6 months down the line the kebab shops will be closed down, butchers and supermarket shelves will be emptied by council officers.

I also think that PR would create a further problem. Religious division rather than political.

Every single Muslim would vote for change and the “apathetic other” would not bother to vote.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/

Present voting system
Con 306 seats
Lab 258 seats
Lib 57 seats
UKIP 0 seats

PR outcome would have been (roughly) -
Con 235 seats
Lab 188 seats
Lib 150 seats
UKIP 20 seats
Other smaller parties would also have seats

ROG:
BBC NEWS | Election 2010 | Results | United Kingdom - National Results

Present voting system
Con 306 seats
Lab 258 seats
Lib 57 seats
UKIP 0 seats

PR outcome would have been (roughly) -
Con 235 seats
Lab 188 seats
Lib 150 seats
UKIP 20 seats
Other smaller parties would also have seats

And every election you would end up with a hung parliament, as we have this time, and we would be having elections at least once a year when the coalition fall out with each other. PR not a good idea at all, it’s bad enough all this election crap every 5 or so years never mind every year. It also means nothing ever really gets done as the main party in power is too worried about upsetting one of its support parties and there is no real time for anything to be done with general elections so frequently.

I also believe that a parliamentary term is too short. For instance, this crap is going to take at least two full terms to get back on track.

My political views are probably wide open at the moment, my mate in the pub is in the pub tonight blaming the blessed Margaret for his inability to find a job. Every one will blame the former government. Brett is 27 and the blessed Margaret has not been in power since he was 7 years old.

But his Dad was a staunch labour voter so in his eyes labour did no wrong since 1997

Does the rest of the EU have PR and do they cope with it OK ■■?

ROG:
Does the rest of the EU have PR and do they cope with it OK ■■?

Italy have Proportional Representation and since the end of the second world war have had 61 political parties in power. Mainly as coalitions. We on the other hand have had 13 prime ministers in that period with number 14 waiting for the squatter to leave number 10

Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia.

This is the situation now in Greece too with PR, dozens of unstable governments