My day at 3663

Well I got to the depot for a start at 5.30. I was a bit apprehensive as I thought it might be a case of here’s your nap fella off ya go but was pleased when I was told I would be accompanied by a guy around the same age as me called dal. He was a good laugh and knew his stuff so tried to take in as much as I could. One thing was soon apparent though, this wasn’t a job for me! Overall we had around 20 drops and after some slight inconveniences managed to get back to the yard for about 2pm. I will say one thing though, I learnt alot about how many places you can get a lorry through which under normal circumstances I would have thought [zb] that lol. Now a slight question for you all.

When I started at the agency I strictly said unless they were hanging out there backside I did not wanna do multi- drop. Tomorrow I was suppose to be at royal mail doing multi drop but then the agency rang and asked if I wanted to fill a position which is guaranteed for 12 weeks. Great I thought, " is it class 2"? to which I got "no it’s multi drop for UPS in Croydon ". Now I have made an informal decision but what would you do?? It is guaranteed 12 weeks with a permanent position at the end and it will see me until after Xmas but it’s still multi drop.

P.s although I will appreciate your replies I assure you my decision will be made off my own back so I’m not exactly asking should I or not as such, just what would you do■■? :wink:

I suppose the only question is - how desperate are you for money ?

If not desperate to earn then you can afford to put principals first.

They only other reason not to do it would be a medical/fitness one

Well the word brassic is an understatement lol. I’m just worrying that if I turn it down and it gets to Xmas am I gonna be looking back thinking what a ■■■■ I knew I should have taken that. The thing is that the agency can’t always guarantee work but this is a guaranteed 12 week post so it’s awkward but I’m busting to get on class 2.

Same goes for skip work, it’s amazing the places you have to go to and the tight gaps you have to squeeze through and corners you have to reverse around. Gives you a wake up call to learn the dimensions of your lorry. I lose count of the number of weight limit signs I’ve been through to gain access to places I wouldn’t normally be allowed to go through…

I hate multi drop with a passion…but right now, for 12 weeks guaranteed work…i would tear their arm off for it.

I hate multi drop with a passion…but right now, for 12 weeks guaranteed work…i would tear their arm off for it.

I am guessing that the 20 drops you had on 3663 will pale in comparison compared to the number UPS will give you.I’d be prepared to try it in the summer when the daylight is longer but not this time of year in the dark.

You might even find you had 20 drops in the same road .

Swings and Rounabouts like most jobs …

P.s Invest in a Satnav

don’t do it! get your hiab and they will all love you and you will be sick of class 2. :smiley: manpower sutton are short of hiab guys

like you said on ur other post that youve not had much work etc i would take the work for at least xmas and mayby till march because its gonna be bad after xmas/jan/feb again so i would take it till then and look for something else. its money and ups dont pay half bad either.

Is there any other type of class 2 agency work than multidrop? I have only had about 10% of my agency jobs as long runs, all the rest are multidrop. Used to it now. Sit back, relax and recognise that you can only try your best and not do what the normal guy does in a day.

Well I done a day going around with a supervisor in croydon doing the driving and I must say it did get a bit tiresome. I don’t know croydon atall and it’s basically upto the driver to plan his route. Il be fair though, they do leave ya to it out on the road, no ringing up saying how many drops you done etc but I’m only 26 and my feet are aching like a gooden lol. Because it’s only temporary they r gonna try and put me around my area so I can wizz round knowing where the drops are and wot order they shud be in, at least make me look half decent lol. Heading down to eastleigh tomorrow for a training day, but I have informed the agency that I might get fed up in a week and they are gonna do there best to find me something else but it will do for now. I think once I’m out there on my Todd thinking for myself il be fine but it was quite amusing when the guy said at the end, your drive was fine but we do take the driving side very seriously, especially the driver training to which I replied I spent nine months putting mercedes sprinters on the wrong side of the road at upto 50-60 mph in an ambulance. Funny cos “oh” was the dull response, didn’t help me rubbing it in iv driven 50 ft tri axle coaches and have a class 2 lol

Class2ldn:
when the guy said at the end, your drive was fine but we do take the driving side very seriously, especially the driver training to which I replied I spent nine months putting mercedes sprinters on the wrong side of the road at upto 50-60 mph in an ambulance.

If he had asked for your driving experience before the run then that may saved him some embarassment - I hope he is not the driving assessor !!

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Multidropping for 3663 or other food company is not the best job in the world but it’s got to be one of the best ways to get experience. Loads of tight drops and hard work in a day that starts when everyone else is in bed, if you can master that job then all the other jobs are a walk in the park.

I was like you but had to take my first job doing it after someone let me down last minute. Did I enjoy it? not really, Am I glad I did it? Deffo. I learnt more in that 9 months than I’ve learnt since and it gave me a good working knowledge of London. (Is that good or bad?)