mph or kph?

Interesting debate on the radio today.

At the moment, you can be prosecuted for selling goods in the sensible way - pounds and ounces :smiley: , so you must sell in kilo’s and grammes :frowning:

However, we still measure speed limits and distances, in miles :question:

The politically correct brigade, want drivers to all change, to kilometres and kph.

All on here, except the odd van driver :unamused: already do, but what about car drivers :question:

What would you prefer? All road signs changed to kilometres or remain in miles? All speed limits changed to read kph or stay at mph?

John

cornish trucker:
What would you prefer? All road signs changed to kilometres or remain in miles?

Changed to kilometres.

cornish trucker:
All speed limits changed to read kph or stay at mph?

Changed to kph. Would keep a few on here happy because then they could do 64 on a single carraigeway. :wink: :smiley:

In Southern Ireland main road speed limits are in K,s but a lot of the minor roads in the country are still in miles and it doesn’t always tell you wether they are K,s or miles,where else but Ireland,Don’t think it makes a lot of difference wether they are K’s or M,s if only they are consistent.
When i first moved to N. Ireland, I drove for a firm in Scotland but i still had an English Licence,Once or twice I had the misfortune to be stopped by the Gardai(Irish Police). It usually went like this"where are you from?2,“Northern Ireland”,“Where’s the lorry from?”,“Scotland”,“Where’s your licence address”,“In England”,er,well in that case driver just keep your speed down we;ll be looking out for you! They were further confused because I have an obviously Irish surname.
regards derek

not bothered if it’s k’s or mph…all i would like is for every single bridge to be properly signed and marked and turning points put in if you miss the sign thats covered by the trees. :wink:

In Southern Ireland main road speed limits are in K,s

Is the speed limits in Southern Ireland the same as here, 40/50/60. 40mph seems quite slow for those wide A roads with the hard shoulder.

Definately stay with miles.

But it is a crazy situation at present with truck odometers recording in k’s & haulage being charged by the mile.

If we get Kilometers, i think the writing would be on the wall for your PINT of beer down the local!

Coffeeholic:
Changed to kph. Would keep a few on here happy because then they could do 64 on a single carraigeway. :wink: :smiley:

Niel that comment has actually had me on the floor almost with a hernia peeing myself laughing :slight_smile::):):).

I live in NY, close to the Canadian border, across which the speed limit signs are all posted in km/hr. A lot of American drivers have problems with this (due mostly to the tiny kph numbers on most American speedos), but once they realise that most Canadians ignore all speed limits, they get used to it. Same goes for Mexico, from what I’ve heard.

I still spend ten bobs! buy a pound of spuds, and drive at 30 miles per hour in built up areas!

I think it’s about time to go fully metric, but I think if people still want to deal in imperial they should be allowed to, as long as the aren’t selling people short. For official matters metric makes more sense though.

Who want’s to try and add in fractions when you can add in decimals? Not me!

Even if they were to ban selling beer/milk in pints, what stops you selling it in measures of 568ml?

And as far as old money is concerned, it may have been tradition but in hindsight surely it must have been a bit daft. They even realised that in about 1850 when the two shilling coin was introduced, which was the first step towards decimalisation. Only took 120 years to complete that job!

Andyroo:
Even if they were to ban selling beer/milk in pints, what stops you selling it in measures of 568ml?
!

So whos going to be first to go in the pub this weeknd and ask for “568ml of lager please” ?.

Why does it have to be 568ml when it can simply be a pint?.

If its not broken then dont fix it !!!.

The problem is that when a pint costs about £2.50 when they change it to 568ml it will cost £3.50, but i suppose it will happen now we have a fairy (bent as a 9 bob note or is that a 6 euro coin?) representing us in Europe the trouble is that his expenses will outweight the benefits of converting.

Why not go the whole hog? lets have 10 hours in a day a 10 day week. a ten week month and ten months in a year :stuck_out_tongue:

In future 1000 yards equal a UK mile

And as far as old money is concerned, it may have been tradition but in hindsight surely it must have been a bit daft. They even realised that in about 1850 when the two shilling coin was introduced, which was the first step towards decimalisation. Only took 120 years to complete that job!

I will still buy my jug of mead with groats!

jammymutt:

Andyroo:
!

So whos going to be first to go in the pub this weeknd and ask for “568ml of lager please” ?.

Why does it have to be 568ml when it can simply be a pint?.

That’s the point, everyone will still be able to ask for a pint. But if you’re gonna have metric you may as well have it all metric or not at all.

jammymutt:
The problem is that when a pint costs about £2.50 when they change it to 568ml it will cost £3.50

Why? People might take the mickey and up the prices, but that’s the fault of the sellers and the people who are prepared to pay it, not the system its self.

jammymutt:
but i suppose it will happen now we have a fairy (bent as a 9 bob note or is that a 6 euro coin?) representing us in Europe the trouble is that his expenses will outweight the benefits of converting.

I suppose the ‘fairy’ will spend it all on ■■■■■■ and rent boys :unamused: What’s his ■■■■■■■■■ got to do with it?

There does need to be a standardised system. Tachographs are calibrated and displayed in KM.

Fuel is sold in Litres, Beer is sold in Pints

Bridge Heights are either Feet / Inches or Metres

Tyres are measured in Metric and Imperial on the same tyre

An 8’’ ■■■■■ is the same as a 20.32cm one :stuck_out_tongue:

If you go to collect a container in Rotterdam you will be asked if its a 20’ or 40’

In Hull it will be a 6M or a 9M

Even the French are using phrases like pick up an empty 4.3m 45 footer.

I use the imperial measure for buying Ham or Cheese but my Boots are 44

the beginning of this debate stated that the majority (except van drivers) already run on kph…our vehicles are built for the uk market which is why they are right hand drive…the speedomoters are built for this market too…which is why the miles are in large numbers and kph underneath…i for one find the small numbers hard to read without looking down hard…i only use kms when on the continent…but i must admit that i still measure in feet and inches…one of the old school who wasnt trained :laughing: but i too read that shop keepers can be prosecuted for not using kilos and grammes…there is however a loophole…and it is this : if when shopping you pay a nominal joining fee the shop or stall would become a club and therefore can use whatever measure they want…the fee is 1p and this money is going to charity…obviously trading standards and the government are trying to change this practice…but at the moment it has been tried and tested and trading standards are powerless to stop it.
i am proud to be english and want to keep my country the same…miles…feet and inches…drive on the left…the pound…and i want to be controlled by my own elected government and not by bruxelles who know not a great deal about our institution…thats why most of europe are in recession…because they cannot control their own economies…
have a nice day

which is why the miles are in large numbers and kph underneath

not on my fm9 they ain’t. the mph display is the small band and proberbly the worse clock i have ever seen,if you didn’t know what kmh to do you could well be speeding because there is no gaps between the mph numbers no little markers

well thats my excuse out of the way

jon

Same on the FH12 Jon.

Wheel Nut:
An 8’’ ■■■■■ is the same as a 20.32cm one :stuck_out_tongue:

haha… i like it. laffs

I would like the distances I’m paid for to be in K’s but the rate to be the same ie

currently
£1.08 per mile
changed to
£1.08 per K

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

north surrey haulage:
I would like the distances I’m paid for to be in K’s but the rate to be the same ie

currently
£1.08 per mile
changed to
£1.08 per K

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you wish :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

simon