Speed limits and ireland

Been to both southern and northern ireland a few times now. Always in a 7.5 ton. Always worked on ‘British/ English’ speed limits for A roads etc. Am i okay or are they different?.

Don’t worry, mate. There are no speed limits and no laws in ireland - both sides of the border. So don’t be surprised to get overtaken by a ‘chipped’ articulated lorry doing ‘70 mph’. Stick to the limits only to find out that you cause a hinderance to other road users. :smiley:. Pay special attention to traffic in and around Dublin as you may end up dealing with lemmings trying to drive vehicles.

the speed limits in eire are like the pub hours

very flexible :wink: :wink:

and only count if your english :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i never have read so much rubbish, ( speed limit only applies if your english) what year are you living in. catch your self on. and as for no laws north or south of the border is rubbish to. All the motorways in northern ireland are all heavily patrolled by traffic branch just like england. i should know got three points on way to boat. OH thats right, that only happens if your english.

Rubbish?? Well, I am talking out of four years personal experience. And, excuse me; who is living in the past here? You don’t want to know the ■■■■ I had to go through in your country and besides - you wouldn’t believe me anyway. So just keep calm and take it with a pinch of salt. There is certainly a bit of truth in both statements above. Nothing personal but a bit of taking the mickey. Poor Irish, can’t hurt a fly can they?

im not even gonna respond to that

…but you did :laughing:

tell me what you had to go through, i would b interested to know. and its not my country, im just from there. oh… the north that is not the south.

northernirishinlpool:
i never have read so much rubbish, ( speed limit only applies if your english) what year are you living in. catch your self on. and as for no laws north or south of the border is rubbish to. All the motorways in northern ireland are all heavily patrolled by traffic branch just like england. i should know got three points on way to boat. OH thats right, that only happens if your english.

Calm down :open_mouth: :open_mouth: I’m sure it was only tongue in cheek banter. Fair comment judging by the way we drive in their country. :bulb:

Now the boring bit.

Speed limits in Northern Ireland are exactly the same as Britain. There is now mutual recognition of the penalty points system so you will get points if caught. Although you can count on 1 hand the number of fixed cameras, there are a few mobile cameras floating about and several unmarked traffic cars.

Speed limits in Southern Ireland are completely different. The maximum national speed limit for all goods vehicles over 3.5 tonne is 80kph (50mph). This includes motorways. There is also a law that bans all goods vehicles over 3.5 tonne from using lane 2 of all motorways at all times. So technically if there is a car travelling a 40mph which is quite common, you would have to sit behind it. The speed limits and overtaking bans are rarely enforced or adhered to, but its entirely your decision. With a UK license theres not much they can do.

Oh Dear :open_mouth: Just keep her Low :laughing:

With a UK license theres not much they can do.

]

as far as I know that law is soon to change- any penalty points picked up while driving in Ireland will be transfered to your UK licence

Oooooops. Better be more careful next week then. As have been using ‘British’ speeds limits in north and southern ireland. And using all the lanes of the motorway as necessary. In a 7.5 ton of course.

Tortoise,

I have no idea how the Republican Juristication is going to affect you when you break any of the country’s traffice laws. For all I can say is, that you deffinetely end up in a Northern Irish court if you broke any of their laws because you are in possession of a British Drivers Licence. This means they will not issue you with an ‘On-Spot Fine’ of: £60 fine and 3 points on the licence, which is the case if you have an Irish Licence (we have Swansea in Britain and they have Coleraine in NI). How do I know? I have been living in the Republic for 2 years and in the North for 4 years before moving back into the protective and caring arms of mother England. So, it really does matter if you are English or not and yes, I am talking out of first hand experience. An Irish person would have gone away with the above (£60, 3 points) and I was charged for the same offence with £120 and 4 points (10 mph over limit). Again, this was for having an ‘English’ Licence. All I can say is: stick to the limits as good as you can and save yourself from any nasty surprises.

For all that’s worth mate, just don’t take my word for it and follow this link for further clarification: drivingschoolireland.com/penalty_points.html
and have a look yourself. Also, JD_123 is pretty spot on with what he put on the forum and I just would take it easy next time you are over.

Please also allow me a final word on this subject, I am not upset about the above fine I have received some time ago. My very special experiences with the Irish people are of a totally different nature which has nothing to do on this forum.

nightpilot:
For all I can say is, that you deffinetely end up in a Northern Irish court if you broke any of their laws because you are in possession of a British Drivers Licence. This means they will not issue you with an ‘On-Spot Fine’ of: £60 fine and 3 points on the licence, which is the case if you have an Irish Licence (we have Swansea in Britain and they have Coleraine in NI).

Thats just the way the system works. Its the same everytime I get caught speeding in Britain. All offences have to go to court, and the average fine I get is usually between £300 and £400 and always more than 3 points. British drivers doing similar speeds will get a fixed penalty and 3 points.

tortoise

to be totaly honest night rider, some of the guarda (police) in the republic may hit you harder if you are english, i do agree with you, but also like any police force it has the good ones and it has the bad ones still with a chip on there shoulder.

and the points in northern ireland is a confusing matter, i will explain my best i can.

i have an english licence registered at swansea, but when i was at home (NI) i was caught speeding on the motorway. now this is the part that i dont know how it works. because i was caught speeding in northern ireland and i have a british licence the points went on a thern ireland licence counterpart. and my british licenca stayed clear fof points. so i phoned the PSNI (police service of northern ireland) and spoke to the department that deals with penalties and the guy told me that i could get 12 points in england and 12 points in northern ireland and 12 ponts in the republic or maybe even more in the republic as it is a completley different country.

sorry if i went on a bit.

northernirishinlpool, there is absolutely nothing personal against you in my previous postings because I don’t even know you. There are some truly great people about in Ireland (both sides of the border) but there are also some very disturbing things going on still . Maybe I was just at the wrong places at the wrong time. Who knows?
Today, I take it with a pinch of salt and no, I don’t trust anything that’s Irish - no chance. You are right that the Northern irish jurisdication is very confusing and certainly not fair. I was fined and I should know. Again, nothing personal. I herewith will rest my case and shall refrain from further postings on this thread.

im not taking any thing personnal, i am having a discussion thats all. no harm intended. tell me one thing that is disturbing that goes on in ireland. and tell me one reason why you dont trust anything thats irish… just one thing…

Gerry Adams springs to mind :smiley:

Tony Blair also springs to mind

and here,s me thinking ulster was british!.