New job

Hey folks.

In a week I am starting a new job which involves a lot of driving in Ireland. Stupid question but are the roads over there just the same as here? It’ll be all over Ireland so I’ll be getting the euro night out money :sunglasses:

Thanks

Pretty much the same. Be prepared to see some shocking driving. Road signs are a bit variable.

If you want to quickly go over some of their yellow signs (wtf they couldn’t use red triangles like everyone else?), have a swatch at the current RULES OF THE ROAD (5MB)

The traffic lights jump from red to green. No get ready red/amber phase.

Speed limits are metric, although some signs in some places still have miles on them. The M50 is a better car park than the M25. There are the odd the speed camera about, but next to none compared to the UK, but they may change when they eventually decide who might pay for them. Oh and the road quality is pretty crap in some places

It’s a piece of cake really, compared to driving on the wrong side.

Thanks a lot for that. Interesting reading.

My mate works for the same company and he’s over there right now and I will have one of the more experienced driver mates with me at the begining, so hopefully all should be well. Only thing I’m worrying about is the ferry! Oh and irish trucks overtaking me at some miles per hour lol

I had some horrific crossings on the Irish sea, it really can cut up bad.
Used to like shipping Holyhead - Dun Laogharie. :laughing:

Nothing much to worry about boat wise, the only thing is it can be a bit of a squeeze gettin in and out of the cab at times.

Also you’ll have to get used to getting ‘pulled’ after getting off the boat over here, our VOSA friends love to stop trucks from Ireland. I used to do some traction work for an Irish company so I’ve been on the receiving end. Good luck.

Ross.

It’s a UK company I’m working for and it’s on UK plates. They have a big yard over there and there’s always someone over there doing stuff :smiley:

They wouldn’t have a job working the opposite direction would they? :wink:

Hi lived in Ireland for 15 years,
Just beware soft verges on narrow country roads,
and lack of warnings for low bridges etc…

All in all a nice friendly country,

TYPICAL IRISH MOTORWAY :laughing:

Lol looks like better than most roads in Glasgow.

One more thing… Speed limits over there for single c. roads. 40 like here?

All national roads are 100 k limit. Pass a speed check on the limiter no probs, however if you do it in an 80 k limit you’ll get pulled.
Remember we are not supposed to use the outside lane of a 2 or 3 lane motorway(road with blue signs) so take a good look in your mirror if you have to pass something.
All in all alot more relaxed than uk driving with less services and less traffic.

so there’s an overtaking ban?

Thanks for the info.

P93>>80km/h limit applies to goods vehicles >3.5t unless a lower limit is in force.

(I would go with ellies dad advice on what happens in practice. The actual rules are a far off land in relation to what happens in practice :smiley:)

P121>>You must not drive a type of vehicle that is restricted to a maximum
vehicle speed limit of 80km/h or less in the traffic lane nearest the centre
median of the motorway (the outside lane). An exception to this
prohibition applies at any location where the speed limit is 80km/h or
less.

This is confusing… so it’s only 50 mph for an hgv on the motorway? That ■■■■■…

Thanks for all the info :wink:

If you go at 50mph on the motorway even though 60km/h roadworks. EVERYONE will overtake you.

50mph, didn’t think Irish tachos recorded anything under 75mph :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What about getting caught for speeding? Seeing as I wouldn’t be in the UK, will I still get points if I get done by the Garda?

Nil points. They could haul you up to court for something serious and fine / imprison you, but they don’t have the power to endorse the licence That’s why I’m still on my UK licence :wink:

I suppose they could keep a separate tally though if they really wanted to.

I really wouldn’t sweat about it, it’s a lot more relaxed here. Not some camera full police state.

Have a look through these sites,full of usefull information

LINK-1

LINK-2

LINK-3

LINK–4

Good links.

If those 14 inspectors helped out a bit in the office rather than sitting around with nothing to do, it might have taken a lot less than 4 weeks to get my digicard issued! :laughing:

The last link is way out of date. Speed limits went metric on 20th Jan 2005. Plus the M50 tolls are currently:

Motorcycles (exceeding 50cc) €0.90
Private Motor Cars €2.00
Buses €3.40
Commercials <=2 tonnes €3.40
Commercials >2 tonnes / up to 2 axles €4.90
Commercials >2 tonnes / up to 3 axles €5.70
Commercials >2 tonnes / 4 or more axles €6.20

Here a link for the Dublin Port Tunnel

And while I remember HGV restrictions in Dublin City Centre