Minute silence

Are these things going too far?

When glenn hoddles mother died there was a minute silence at the next tottenham match (yes sad for him but did it matter to the fans?) A minute silence for the beslan children (didnt even happen in this country and not even 1000 people died)

Yes I know its sad when these things happen, but people die, do we have to have a minutes silence for every tragety that happens around the world?

The only silence I think is relevent is 11 11 11, wht do we need silences for everything else?

ralliesport:
Are these things going too far?

The only silence I think is relevent is 11 11 11, wht do we need silences for everything else?

I agree with you entirely. On this subject, BBC NEWS | UK | 'Mourning sickness is a religion' is interesting reading.

Paul

A moment of silence to commemorate a single tragedy or event
that affects a great number of people is one thing… like you said… November 11th. I could even see something like that at a game if the death was someone who was significant to the sport. But the death of someones mother is a private loss… had nothing to do with the fans. If there was a minute of silence for every person who died nobody would ever say anything.

What happened on November 11th?, or is going to happen■■?.

jammymutt:

The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. It was the end of the First World War in 1918.

Paul

jammymutt:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Wasn’t the one minutes silence actually started to commorate the first time the guns fell silent at the end of WW1 :question: :question: :question:

TAXI :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

tdriver:
Wasn’t the one minutes silence actually started to commorate the first time the guns fell silent at the end of WW1 :question: :question: :question:

I know, but we seem to be comparing the loss of millions against the not comparable loss of upto a few thousand people which is wrong.