2 Minute Silence

Who will be obsevering the 2 minute silence.?

Who did observe the 2 minute silence?If so where was you, when you did?

Hopefully, but to be honest it depends on what I am doing at work.

I sat quietly here reading but not doing anything. To be honest I think we are in danger of devalueing such tributes.

I join the old soldiers at the war memorial in the village every May 8th and Nov 11th for the short ceremony that includes a 1 minute silence, and in my opinion that is the only time I should observe it wholeheartedly.

Without wishing to detract from the horror and obscene evil of last Thursdays events, do we not make too much of major disasters? To each victim and victim’s family the death is no more catastrophic than that of one person killed in a road accident. We would never open our mouths again if we carry tributes to their logical conclusion.

For those in London they were just that, accidental deaths, accidental in the sense that unsuspecting people were caught up in the tragedy simply by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. On the other hand the war dead risked their lives for an ideal in the full knowledge of the possible consequences.

Just some thoughts, hope I am not treading on anybody’s grief.

Salut, David.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
David, I’m speechless, just speechless after reading your post. :angry:

You are of course entitled to your opinion.

I guess I’ll just leave it at that. :imp: :imp:

Up to a point, I’m with Spardo.

Dont get me wrong, it was an atrocity that should never be allowed to happen,and I know how I would deal with 'em if given the chance.

But…

During WW2, when Germany invaded France, the French themselves became resistance fighters (Terrorists by another name). We now view them as heroes. wether Hitler was right or wrong is irrelevant,just that I’m sure innocents died then, as they have recently.

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter,the methods may be disgusting but in his eyes his motives are pure.

How far would we go to preserve the life that we have?

We would like to think that we are more “human” than those that commited this atrocious act, but if the situation was reversed…

How many innocent people die in road accidents, do we hold a mass 2 minute silence for them?

How many innocents died in the nuclear drops that ended WW2. did the end justify the means?

The world is a really crappy place,it isn’t getting any better,and we only have ourselves to blame,both on an individual level, and a global one.

My heart goes out to anyone who has suffered a tragedy, not just the bombings, but any tragedy,an innocent trucker wiped out by somebody elses actions, a cot death, a child drowning, an aircraft accident…All major events to those it happens to, all tragedys.

Its a hard world, and its of our own making…

May we all find peace in this world

Deesider:
:shock: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

“Thirty-two Iraqi youngsters, most of them under age 15, were killed on Wednesday when a suicide car bomber blew himself up near US soldiers as they handed out chocolates in a Baghdad neighbourhood.”

Will we have 2 minutes silence for them?

I thought not…

Deesider:
:shock: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Your not alone in your thoughts Deesider.

I had two minutes silence,

No matter how you want to look at this the deaths of the victims was no accident, they were murdered by evil scum who knew that they were going to take peoples lifes, and if some people think we should not remember them you are very sad little people.

this has been edited as I do not wish to recieve a warning for making personal attacks as per rules of Trucknet.

theghostofcain:
"Thirty-two Iraqi youngsters, most of them under age 15, were killed on Wednesday when a suicide car bomber blew himself up near US soldiers as they handed out chocolates in a Baghdad neighbourhood."quote]

Wasn’t this the very trick that Col Tim Collins had a word about to that prat that then tried to stitch him up. They’re still not listening, are they.

As for the two minutes silence, sorry, but isn’t that the least we can do, to respect those murdered or injured, and to respect those that worked so valiantly in the aftermath, in fact some still are.

Hedon road today, I pulled over into a layby and stood there for the two minutes of silence, or should I say deafening noise, I didn’t see a single person standing still except for myself.

Personally, in this situation I thought a ‘two minute yell’ would’ve been more appropriate. People are angry!

“Thirty-two Iraqi youngsters, most of them under age 15, were killed on Wednesday when a suicide car bomber blew himself up near US soldiers as they handed out chocolates in a Baghdad neighbourhood.”

I thought not…

Its wrong to devalue something just because another thing isn’t given it’s due worth. If we did that then NOONE and NOTHING would be remembered. You gota atack it from the opposite direction and try to give everything the respect it deserves

[/quote]

I had two minutes silence,

No matter how you want to look at this the deaths of the victims was no accident, they were murdered by evil scum who knew that they were going to take peoples lifes, and if some people think we should not remember them you are very sad little people.

[/quote]

Who said we shouldn’t remember them :confused: :confused:

You gota atack it from the opposite direction and try to give everything the respect it deserves

Yeah, that’s clarified the point I was making. I wish respect for life was global rather than local.

Dapper Scavenger:
Personally, in this situation I thought a ‘two minute yell’ would’ve been more appropriate. People are angry!

I thought not…

Its wrong to devalue something just because another thing isn’t given it’s due worth. If we did that then NOONE and NOTHING would be remembered. You gota atack it from the opposite direction and try to give everything the respect it deserves

WELL SAID DAP
personnelly i didnt
to my great shame i got carried away with what i was doing at work and lost track of time
this wasnt just a 2 mins to remember the dead it was to show the murderers that they will not ,ever ,cause the people of this country to drasticly change the way we are by planting bombs
i did write a lot more but after reading it through decided that i would rather keep theese thoughts to my self
after all i dont want you all thinking im a big softey do i?

kalm2kaos:
During WW2, when Germany invaded France, the French themselves became resistance fighters (Terrorists by another name). We now view them as heroes. wether Hitler was right or wrong is irrelevant,just that I’m sure innocents died then, as they have recently.

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter,the methods may be disgusting but in his eyes his motives are pure.

I am determined I am not going to get into a debate about this. I have said my piece and that is an end to that.
But I just want to define and put into perspective Kalm’s statement above.
A freedom fighter is one who attacks military targets in persuance of liberation.
A terrorist is one who spreads terror by attacking civilian targets.
Thursday’s attack falls into the latter category, The French Resistance do not.
The phrase ‘one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter’ is nonsense.

I appreciate your sentiments Kalm and know that you are only quoting a well-worn phrase.

Salut, David.

I stood with the staff at Waitrose, M Keynes, as a mark of respect. I also saw the pictures on the evening news of all the crowds stood in silence, not only as a mark of respect, but also to show the evil scum who committed the atrocities last Thursday that our spirit will not be broken
Regards
Trev

On the whole we have all got a rough idea what we think of these morons who did this and in MY OPINION there in the best place.
I pulled over on the hard shoulder of the M40 for 2 minutes and used it to have a reality check on my own life and to be thankfull that im still alive and able to still stand there in silence, unlike some other poor sole.
Can I also just say that the only reason I felt able to stop on the hardshoulder was because it was full of other motorist that felt the same and also there wasnt a single car on there, only lorries, good on you lads and lassies who took the effort

Spardo:

kalm2kaos:

I am determined I am not going to get into a debate about this. I have said my piece and that is an end to that.
A freedom fighter is one who attacks military targets in persuance of liberation.

I appreciate your sentiments Kalm and know that you are only quoting a well-worn phrase.

Salut, David.

I’d say you’re both talking sense here in one way or another. I think the WW2 resistance was a bad example there, the nuclear bombs were a better one. All violence in the name of anything is bad in my book, by the state, against the state, by individual or against individuals.

Mankind will only achieve peace by talking, not by silence.

Andyroo:

Spardo:

kalm2kaos:

Salut, David.

I’d say you’re both talking sense here in one way or another. I think the WW2 resistance was a bad example there, the nuclear bombs were a better one. All violence in the name of anything is bad in my book, by the state, against the state, by individual or against individuals.

Mankind will only achieve peace by talking, not by silence.

Forgive me if I upset anyone because of my uneducated ramblings :wink: …There are many viewpoints to this subject, I expressed mine, and am grateful that I am in a country that enables me to do so freely.

My point was that there are many tragedies in this world, we (mankind) have made all of our own problems. But it is the innocent who really suffer.

And yes, I did stop for 2 minutes.

As I posted earlier…May we all find peace

peace with ourselves, and find peace with others

kalm2kaos:
My point was that there are many tragedies in this world, we (mankind) have made all of our own problems. But it is the innocent who really suffer.

I totally agree.

I think the main point of Spardo’s first post has been missed or misunderstood: those who died in the war actually went to war knowing full well what was likely to happen to them. The victims of the London bombings did not know what would happen when they set out on their journey that day.

During the war many people made the ultimate sacrifice knowing that was the likely outcome of their actions. How many people would’ve stayed at home that day if they knew there was the slightest chance of a bomb somewhere that day?

Overall, it is those left behind who really suffer, irrespective of if they lost loved ones in the war or due to a terrorist bomb. For all of those who have suffered, I observed the two-min silence.

cannot remember ever having 2 minutes silence for all the brits murdered by the IRA,and look at them now ,butter wouldnt melt in their mouths.Wouldnt surprise me in the slightest that the london bombers recieved some support from the IRA.