Two minutes silence today

was going into coventry chemicals today and was glad to see they stopped at 11 for two minutes to remember the fallen and even had the tannoy playing the last post.
wish the tool driving the fh container was as respectful, sat with engine running and yapping on his phone, soon seen the errors of his ways with a non to polite request from me…ffs two minutes out of your year isnt much is it?..

11am on the dot our local dustmen (serco) where doing the rounds reverse bleeper the lot at 11am :frowning:

Thats binmen for you, you put the bin out so its easier for them to grab and wheel to wagon then they just hoy it anywhere.

The usual band of us were grouped over the (minor) road in front of the memorial including the (here, one) minute silence and as usual I heard a car approaching behind so I moved to cover the gap. He retreated.

Then another appeared from the other direction, hesitated a moment then moved forward again as if intending to force a way through. The others on that side moved across as I had done and, when he appeared determined, angrily waved him away. He relented and reversed away.

It happens every time and we haven’t let one through yet. :smiling_imp:

I was in Lichfield tesco DC when the time came, a polite announcement over the PA forewarned use.
Then 1driver decided it would be a perfect time to start jabbering loudly on his mobile phone. So he was curtly reminded of the moment & told to put his phone away sharpish by another driver. I think the sight of a dozen or so other drivers staring at him convinced him to stop jabbering on his phone

I listened to the silence on local radio, only to be broken by an ambulance siren, but that noise is quite welcome

They even observed it in the local JCP where i signed on this morning.

Our transport office fell silent with phones taken off the hook to ensure silence wasn’t broken.

I sat in the truck at Corley services with it on the radio.
The rememberance special “the songs my son loved” on the Jeremy Vine show has been quite humbling listening this week.

skids:
The rememberance special “the songs my son loved” on the Jeremy Vine show has been quite humbling listening this week.

Todays was wonderful.

I was in Fox’s biscuits at Wakefield 41, and at the appointed hour, I stood in silence at the side of my truck, with my RAF BBMF baseball cap removed. It was only replaced when the time came by listening to R2.

Shame on all the other drivers who were in the yard at the time, who chose not to observe it, and continued to manoeuvre their vehicles which they probably wouldn’t have been driving if Adolf had of had his way. :imp:

Ken.

I got to Lymm services for 10.45am, made sure i got parked up ready to observe the 2 minute silence…

skids:

The lady who was on it today in tears saying about her son who was seriously injured out there and they brought him back here to hospital, and she knew he was going to die and she whispered to him to go and that it was a battle he wasn’t going to win and he slipped away…and he had only been in Afganistan 3 weeks…i struggled to hold back the tears… :cry: .

John

I hada days holiday today and 2 minutes fell whilst looking at buggies in Mothercare; Rather gay voiced shop assistant told us they were observing it, then chatted to another staff member for most of it. He came back over at the end to continue his sales pitch, at which point I pointed out they’d ignored it thus we were going to take our business somewhere more respectful. Surely wouldn’tve hurt considering I held the traffic up at Eynsham yesterday so the Legion, local firemen etc could pay their respects…Got applause and even a salute from one old soldier once they’d finished.

I was in Stamford at the given time, 99% of people stopped for 2 minutes in the street, the other 1% didn’t , well as an ex- Squadie that is totally fine by me, that’s why we went to war for the freedom to do that.

was all quiet in rugby truckstop… well untill some maritime driver came blasting in was a cosoon? unit

seconds after it was over a few lads left so must have been waiting…

Dreams (Beds) Warehouse Crawley …Tannoy announcement then 2 minutes silence observed … well done.

All was quiet at the mill for 2 minutes at 11. That was the time my boss decided to ring me :unamused: .

Just hit the button and cut him off then rang back after the 2 minutes was up.

His first words were…“why’d you cut me off?”

“Because I was observing the 2 minute silence in respect of the fallen!”

That shut him up, got a sincere apology and a promise to make an extra donation into the poppy box!

toowise:
All was quiet at the mill for 2 minutes at 11. That was the time my boss decided to ring me :unamused: .

Just hit the button and cut him off then rang back after the 2 minutes was up.

His first words were…“why’d you cut me off?”

“Because I was observing the 2 minute silence in respect of the fallen!”

That shut him up, got a sincere apology and a promise to make an extra donation into the poppy box!

Nice one.

Ken.

Stopped at the side off the road today , engine off , head bowed , there was me and ONE old woman ! the rest of the world continued on, had to just shake head in disgust at the passing cars/pedistrians .
I know our work put a tannoy message out and almost all did observe it respectfully

The 2 minutes silence was observed on the P&O ferry I was on. It happen to be at the point the boat was getting into Dover and looking at the White Cliffs during the 2 minutes was very thought provocking.

I was taking a load of coal from the Tilbury power station up to Immingham. The docks’ police blocked off the crossing where you come in and out of the docks, and signaled for everyone to kill their engines. And so I did.

I didn’t realise why until later when I phoned up my wife!