Mike's Lorry Pics

This is a brief photographic history of Mike Sargent’s international driving career which he has asked me to post on this forum.

It spans for over three decades.

The 70’s

Mike writes, one of my first international jobs. This was one of the first F 89s in the UK. 1972. It featured in the Norfolk Show. I was paid £50 a week to drive it. The insurance was £5,000 as I was only 22 years of age.

This was my first truck as a Middle East owner driver. Paid £1,000 for it and managed to do three trips to Kuwait for ASTRANS. I sold it on in the middle east in 1974

My “new” truck as an owner driver…bit more ‘up market’

My road train on Simons 75/76

Moved to Holland in 1977. This company a joint venture between the Dutch and Afghan Governments. Hence both Dutch & Afghan vehicles. 1977-80

There are some great photos there Ron, can you please ask Mike has he got any more :smiley: .

Regards Steve.

mushroomman:
There are some great photos there Ron, can you please ask Mike has he got any more :smiley: .

Regards Steve.

Great pictures, this picture looks like it was taken locally to my home, any idea where it was taken? Is it in East Yorkshire?

Yes there are more photos to come, Wheel Nut. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Those were just from the 70’s. The photo of the old ERF was taken outside Mike’s house in Clacton on Sea, Essex. Mike says that he couldn’t really bring the trailer into the road…the neighbours weren’t too keen to even see just the tractor unit!!

Bit of info on that unit…it was originally a 1963 ERF ex Bakers of Southampton. Reconditioned in about 1970 by Hampshire Motor Co. (hence H. M. C. badge ) who put the fibreglass sleeper on. It was originally used as a push/pull unit on heavy transport and had a top speed of 46 mph.

The 80’s

Back to European work with lots of opportunities for extra cash!

Mid Eighties…East & West Europe

87- 90 Back to middle east with Stolk, Holland

rondavies:
This is a brief photographic history of Mike Sargent’s international driving career which he has asked me to post on this forum.

It spans for over three decades.

The 70’s

This was my first truck as a Middle East owner driver. Paid £1,000 for it and managed to do three trips to Kuwait for ASTRANS. I sold it on in the middle east in 1974

HMC was the trailer making side of Eric Bakers Transport Southampton he used to put it on his trailers and some units he had adapted here is the sister reg to the above unit I believe he sold most of the fleet to L J Watkins in St Asaph.

Here is one with a similar cab.

Regards Pat

Brilliant. I have certainly been in the company of a NEDU driver, maybe even Mike Sargant.

When I asked about the ERF there is a road close to my old home that look just like that one, same design of bungalow and even the verges look the same.

The 90’s and into the new millennium

Picking up my new tractor unit from Kenworth in Montreal, Canada

Drove mostly in the North West Territories (plus Ice Road one season) and also down to Mexico.

Back to Europe mid 90’s. Ships stores for a Dutch/Norwegian firm…Brilliant work!

Delivering essential supplies!!

My last company in Holland before moving up to Swedish Lappland in 2008 where I now just work part-time driving a 50 ton tipper in an iron ore mine.

I’m posting a couple of photos of Mike’s where he’s parked up at his house in Swedish Lappland. He used to do a run between Holland and Tromso in the north of norway. I reckon he was on a “dodgy” but he informs me that it was all OK and above board…a likely story :laughing: :laughing:

This is what he drives nowadays for a mining company in Gallivare, Sweden