Davies Turner

We have some dedicated threads on here to some of the most well known British transport companys, but I don’t think we have had a thread on here dedicated to Davies Turner…so now we do!! :laughing: :laughing:

Im sure some of the old hands on here must have some stories and pictures from back in the day when they were prevalent in all points exotic, hot and sandy as well as out the back of beyond and freezing cold. When it was British subbies pulling for them, whether that was down to Greece or Turkey on into the Middle East, South down into and across North Africa, or up into Russia and across to the far east!!

There are references to the DT compound in Iran on the Astran / Middle East Drivers thread and some on here worked internals for them but did anyone else go anywhere or do anything?

Do we have any ex DT subbies on here? Pics and stories from the 70s, 80s, 90`s upto now would be great to see and read.

Cheers, :wink:

I will start you off with a picture of my uncle Tony’s lorry,he has pulled for them for a number of years now, running to Morocco.

EBAY 015.jpg

Nice looking set up Will, im sure Toby will be along at some point to enlighten us of your uncles adventures!! :laughing: :wink:

He might well be,as Tony knows " T C " from their European adventures :sunglasses:

Will:
He might well be,as Tony knows " T C " from their European adventures :sunglasses:

I have often wondered if Toby was actually Uncle Tony taking the ■■■■ :smiley:

Tony does not know how to turn on a computer :frowning: Just got him a smart phone & he keeps putting the sim in his old phone ,because " its easier " :open_mouth:

EBAY 012.jpg

img007-1.jpgHi Bullitt just thought you may like this pic, I have no idea who the driver leaning on this F89 is but we at Davies International had the vehicle in later years so posting a pic in both liveries, cheers Buzzer.

PS. Perhaps someone else on TNUK will recognise the driver.

lsctrucks7.jpg

This is a photo of me ,when I had hair, taken by one of Funston’s drivers on top of Bolu Mountain Turkey , when we were on our way home from Iraq in 1979. VNG 359S was owned from new by Don Hubbard of Gedney Hill, out in the Fens.He was one of Davies Turners subbies for many years and drove this truck to and from Teheran until the Revolution. When this truck was new DT’s paid a premium of I think £50.00 per trip if you ran in their colours, hence as many subbies had DT’s name on them. One of their Subbies David Duxbury ran quite a few in their coulors until they stopped paying the premium. So he replaced their name with his own and rather cleverly reversed their colour scheme on his new trucks and unless they were side by side it was hardly noticeable.
This F89 had a Telma retarder fitted in the driveline, which made an incredible difference when decending the mountains whilst loaded. It was also a big NoNo when empty if it was wet, as it would lock up the back wheels. It was a fantastic truck to drive as it also had parabolic springs front and rear,it was fitted with two four hundred litre diesel tanks and a thousand litre belly tank on the trailer.Don swore by Michelin tyres and also had them on his trailer. The volvo was serviced regularly by the supplying volvo dealer, but for some strange reason they did not know that there was a grease ■■■■■■ for the clutch release bearing on the top of the bell housing and this lead to premature clutch problems in Austria one trip when I was Driving it.
Regards Jamie.

Hi Jamie its nice to hear the early history of VNG 359 S of course by the time I bought it the tanks had gone replaced with the normal one tank and also the Telma retarder, that was a great bit of kit of which I had experience with fitted on a Berliet in the early 70’s and as you rightly point out deadly In the wet especially unit only, the penalty of course was how heavy the thing was and I think it was 8 or 9 cwt so if you were weight sensitive it was a burden stupid when you think how much safer it made the truck. The F89 in its day was a tasty bit of kit with its 330 engine and 16 speed box but of course nowadays its titchy in comparison to whats on offer today but the old times were better in my opinion but then I am biased as I am from that time, all the best Buzzer.

PS. Here is another pic of VNG when she was with us along side another F88 which we ran at the same time.

Will
Did Tony retire when he hit 80 ? ,when I saw him on the Bilbao boat last year he had just been for his 79th “mot” and was thinking of packing up when he hit 80.

kerbut:
Will
Did Tony retire when he hit 80 ? ,when I saw him on the Bilbao boat last year he had just been for his 79th “mot” and was thinking of packing up when he hit 80.

No he has not retired yet,in Morocco at the moment,81 in September & he keeps saying that he cannot go on forever :astonished: