merc axor

hi all tomorrow i am working for tescos and think i will be driving a merc axor and just wondered what they are like to drive ? i cannot wait it is done through john andrews transport at launceston (lanson to the cornish!) and met them yesterday and they are a really nice bunch did not mind me being new they just said take your time and you will be fine . do they have the gearbox that you have to push across to go up a range ? apparently i picked the best time of year to pass my test as people are gagging for drivers !!!

If its got the Merc tip tronic box is dead easy.
From memory! Press clutch push little stump forward to select gear, let out clutch off you go, next push it forward again, the dash display shows what gear its thinking it might give you! when you want the next press clutch and let go and hey presto you going up. Same all the way just push it forward before you want the gear, then when you want press clutch and it will give you one! To go down same idea, but pull back. The actros ive driven had half gears too on a little flick switch on the stump. To get reverse I think you have to go to neutral first, thats a little press button on the stump, then pull back.
If your too fast with the clutch you might hear woody woodpecker in the cab! Thats a refusal! Have to take your time with the cluch cant be a race driver!

Easier to sit in it and use it then try and type the above! LOL

matt f:
hi all tomorrow i am working for tescos and think i will be driving a merc axor and just wondered what they are like to drive ? i cannot wait it is done through john andrews transport at launceston (lanson to the cornish!) and met them yesterday and they are a really nice bunch did not mind me being new they just said take your time and you will be fine . do they have the gearbox that you have to push across to go up a range ? apparently i picked the best time of year to pass my test as people are gagging for drivers !!!

All the Kaxors I’ve drove have the knock across type range change. Most are only eight speed too, so no splitter switch. You go through the first four gears go to neutral pull the gear lever towards you (thats high range) go back to what was first and thats now fifth, etc.

DAFMAD:

matt f:

All the Kaxors I’ve drove have the knock across type range change. Most are only eight speed too, so no splitter switch. You go through the first four gears go to neutral pull the gear lever towards you (thats high range) go back to what was first and thats now fifth, etc.

Argh so they have that air/hydrolic system do they? Some of our 15tonners Ategos have that same box in 4x4 knock towards you like you describe.

Most of the ones we have in Livingston have the old style box - they drive fine, but getting across the range change can be a challenge. To get reverse (on the worse units) you need to put your RIGHT foot on the clutch, swing your left on to the gearstick, brace yourself against the door and push ■■■■ hard… Ok I exagerate, but some need two hands and a lot of effort !!!

G

Gazzareth:
Most of the ones we have in Livingston have the old style box - they drive fine, but getting across the range change can be a challenge. To get reverse (on the worse units) you need to put your RIGHT foot on the clutch, swing your left on to the gearstick, brace yourself against the door and push ■■■■ hard… Ok I exagerate, but some need two hands and a lot of effort !!!

G

Thats the way I found it too, and I thought Ivecos were bad :frowning:

if i have a KAXOR today once its on the moterway i will not change gear until i get to ■■■■■■■■■■■ hopefully it will have died on Shap

Gordy:

Gazzareth:

G

Thats the way I found it too, and I thought Ivecos were bad :frowning:

I drove a Eurotech 6 wheeler with slap over range changer once and that needed two hands to get reverse. At one stage I thought I’d found a knack to it, but then I realised I’d found the crawler gear, not reverse.

never drive an Axor, but if the lads are as friendly as you say then just ask someone and they’ll soon put you right. Key thing is with most gearboxes is just take your time :wink:

CBR_SI:
never drive an Axor, but if the lads are as friendly as you say then just ask someone and they’ll soon put you right. Key thing is with most gearboxes is just take your time :wink:

yes cbr posted this a while ago and found it no problems have driven several of them since and had no problems . there is quite a difference in how hard you have to slap it across though after commenting on it dave in the office said one of the agency drivers a woman could not do it so they changed the unit and they guy that used it came back with complaining of a sore elbow !!