merc auto box

used my first ever auto gear box today in a merc (rigid) think the reverse was a bit naff,it seemd to take ages to drop in. briefly on the shift, button on left flush with hand grip button on right of shift seems to protrude out, both spring loaded, to get reverse is it a simple case of depress right button and pull back :blush: oh couldnt find the manual in cab before its suggested

Press the left one first that gets you neutral then press the right and pull back for reverse

Yup as the previous poster says - but I always give it a second after pressing the left button before pressing the right and pulling the handle back - you’ll hear it does make a difference
Rather than going from drive to neutral to reverse in its own time - you dictate the time and its a nano second quicker
cheers
Steve

If you try going in to reverse too soon after coming out of a forward gear then it will take time to drop in or even fail. Just like a manual gearbox.

We’ve got merc 18t with autos in our place and the boxes in them are guff. Even worse than Man’s and Daf’s. Seems like you have enough time to pour yourself a brew while it goes from forward to reverse it’s that slow.

It’s a very good box only had one fault with mine got stuck in first gear had to reset it and the ecu but when you get used to them there good or if you are showen how to use it

cheers guys, sure ive had plenty of frustrating moments with this one, one such moment i couldnt swing round a small t junction so needed a shunt back got the traffic queueing each side whilst waiting for reverse :confused: bit of me and bit the lorry i think but i will have better knowledge for the next one, thanks again :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

sorry forgot to ask, is that press and release on the bottons or press and hold

i press and release the left one and press and hold the right one :smiley:

Sounds like things havent improved much from the Eps days :smiley:

Oh no a lot better since eps that still gives me nightmears

The new box is even quicker than the premiums on the MP4, at last they finally made a decent box and pretty decent intelligent software :slight_smile:

Phantom Mark:
The new box is even quicker than the premiums on the MP4, at last they finally made a decent box and pretty decent intelligent software :slight_smile:

:neutral_face: Is it me or am i getting old :blush:

Sorry, a sad overlap of terms makes the net result convoluted…

The new Merc MP4 has an even quicker selection of drive to reverse than the Renault Premium / Volvo box…

Phantom Mark:

The new Merc MP4 has an even quicker selection of drive to reverse than the Renault Premium / Volvo box…

Why didnt you say that in the first place!! . . . . give me an Eaton ts any day :laughing: :laughing:

You know you have cracked it when you stop playing tunes between shifts eh lol

Bet I can select reverse and back to drive quicker than a TS tho :stuck_out_tongue:

If you find the box slow do a teachin on it (ask a fitter how to do it) the memory on the box learns from the driver. harder you drive faster it works. Also memory stores the errors so computer slows down

marbletrucker:
If you find the box slow do a teachin on it (ask a fitter how to do it) the memory on the box learns from the driver. harder you drive faster it works. Also memory stores the errors so computer slows down

I know how to do the full teach in on an Actros. Ignition off, press and hold both buttons on the gear shifter. While still holding the buttons, turn ignition on. You will see the ‘N’ on the dash flashing. Once the high and low arrows start flashing, still keep holding the both buttons in and fire up the engine. After about 20 seconds, you will hear a beep and it should say teach in complete. Let go of the buttons and that should be it done.

Not sure if the 18t gearbox works the same though.

thanks I ve been of em for nearly 2 years

Suedehead:

Phantom Mark:

Why didnt you say that in the first place!! . . . . give me an Eaton ts any day :laughing: :laughing:

All right if your in oz or USA but with europes crowded roads an auto is essential nowadays :sunglasses: