Can any merc drivers help please?

I had a job interview today for a class one job. was shortlisted from 200 ish applicants down to about 24 so fingers crossed, but if i am successfull they will invite me back for a second interview and a driving assessment. which brings me to my question. they have units ranging from 04 to 08 but the assessment will more than likely be in one of the older ones. they are all merc semi automatics and automatics. the only automatics i have driven are globetrotters with the i-shift and 95xf’s with the astronic box(is that right?). how similar are the merc boxes to use? i don’t want to make a right prat of myself and have to ask the examiner.
thanks in advance for any replies
mat

Not every driver as driven all trucks with automatic boxes and the the man who assesses you would rather you ask than try and wing it

the semi is an EPS and as a clutch

To begin the gear changing process you push the handle forward(without the clutch pushed in at the time). the onboard computer block-changes for you and usually selects second or third gear if you’re stationary on level ground. You then push the clutch in to actually engage the gear. To change down gears pull the handle backwards instead of forwards. To select neutral press in the button on the top left-hand side of the handle, and to select reverse push in the button on the top right-hand side of the handle at the same time as pulling the lever backwards. For both neutral and reverse you should be stationary and have the clutch pushed in. If you wish to select a lower gear than the one the computer has chosen, push down on the lever attached to the handle and then push the clutch in again (you won’t often need to do this). If, however, an alarm sounds when you attempt this you’ve selected too low a gear. Don’t let the clutch out - instead, alter your selection and try again. Occasionally, the gearbox may throw you into neutral. To resolve this push the clutch in and the lever forward at the same time. The computer should then select the correct gear.

Actros Automatic

A clutchless gearbox, specific to the Mercedes Actros. In newer models the gearstick is situated on the end of the armrest, while in older models it’s attached to the side of the seat. Unlike the Keypad gearbox, the vehicle won’t pull forward when a drive or reverse gear is selected. Instead the vehicle will behave as though it’s in neutral, so brakes must be applied - it will only move when you press the accelerator. Be aware that because of the nature of this gearbox moving backwards on a slope can be a buttock-dendwig experience, since you have no dutch The gearbox contains an automatic or manual
switch mode. When manual is selected, forward gears are activated by pushing the gear knob forwards and backwards to change up and down the 'box. If automatic is selected, you’ll only be required to push the gearlever forward once, to take the vehicle out of neutral. Everything else is decided by the gearbox, if, however, you wish to change into a lower gear than that selected by the 'box, you should push down on the lever attached to the neck of the gear knob. This will put you into the next lowest gear. If you wish to select the next highest gear, pull this lever upwards. To select neutral press the button on the left of the gear knob, and to select reverse push the button on the right of the gear knob and pull back on the stick at the same time.

hope this helps

delboytwo:
Not every driver as driven all trucks with automatic boxes and the the man who assesses you would rather you ask than try and wing it

A good assessor will be expecting you to ask, after all, that would be the safest thing to do :wink:

ROG:

delboytwo:

A good assessor will be expecting you to ask, after all, that would be the safest thing to do :wink:

If the assessor is any good you will not ask him he will ask you if you have driven the type of truck you will be assessed in be honest and say no ( if thats the case ) and he should give you a demo then drive how he drive.

In fact just ask for a demo of what he expects from you.

And ask if the daily checks have been done …you do not want to look like a Dipstick…

thanks for the comments guys, very concise, perfect.

i heard today that i have passed the interview and they invited me for a driving asessment on wednesday, so fingers crossed on that.
thanks also on helping me get over the stupid pride thing, guess its just because i need this job so bad :frowning: you’re right of course and i will ask, but at least i have a basic idea now.

cheers
mat