Actros help....please

Taking a semi automatic Actros rigid out on Thursday never driven one before. Just went around the yard in it BUT couldn’t get it to change gear in auto,help needed please. Merry Christmas all

if it has a clutch pedal you need to preselect up and down and use the pedal.

Yep, its got a clutch pedal. I’ve driven a semi auto Scania BUT never a Merc. could be fun on Thursday.

Dip & push. Button and back for reverse.

Sounds easy, good job its only Northampton & Pump Lane, Hayes. Thanks for your help.

Select a gear, it’ll flash on dash, clutch in and out as a normal clutch will get you going, select next gear and press and release clutch to actually do the change.

If you hear a mad clicking like a kids toy gun, you’ve done the clutch too fast.

You’ll get used to it and it’s very good once you do, until you’re in a roundabout and it’s clicking like mad and you’re slowing down… :grimacing:

Years ago I did drive a Actros artic & like you say it sounds like a toy gun going off, well it took me a complete cycle of traffic lights before I moved again…dam thing I HAD HOPED THAT WAS THE FIRST & LAST TIME. This time I thought I’d ask how to drive one. Thank God Corby Chilled got rid of the Actros units. Also what’s the 2 button for on the gear stick. I hate Merc’s …lol

waynedl:
Select a gear, it’ll flash on dash, clutch in and out as a normal clutch will get you going, select next gear and press and release clutch to actually do the change.

If you hear a mad clicking like a kids toy gun, you’ve done the clutch too fast.

You’ll get used to it and it’s very good once you do, until you’re in a roundabout and it’s clicking like mad and you’re slowing down… :grimacing:

All the above.

I drive the Actros as a vehicle of (no)choice as it’s what the company has, took a while but now it’s second nature. Don’t think of it as a semi-automatic as it’s more a pre-select.

Buttons on the handle, left will set neutral and right moves through the gears in single steps or you can block change with it. Without using the buttons the lever gives you a ‘2’ jump i.e. 2-4-6-8 with the little silver paddle (in front of the lever) selecting hi/lo. All shifts show on the display.

Approaching roundabouts or slowing down I flick the lever but don’t press the clutch, the gears will flash and change down as you slow down. When you hit the one you want depress the clutch. Sometimes it gets it wrong and be glad you’re wearing your seat belt :smiley:

Reverse needs the left button in on the pull back or you’ll fanny around.

It also has a very good ECM thingy that will smoothly pull you away without using the accelerator and if you are solo it works through all the gears.

I haven’t found the button for the bomb bay doors or cannons yet :open_mouth:

Thanks all for your help NOW to print this off & take with me. Don’t worry Harry by the time I get back to the yard {If I get back} I should have found the button’s for the cannons & bomb doors. Have a Great Day today, thanks again all.

from neutral, to get into reverse…the button nearest to you needs to be kept pressed in while holding gear selector backwards and engaging clutch … this is where I’ve seen a few drivers come unstuck, if in doubt, ask…( I had a driver ask how to adjust the steering column in an old M.A.N. the other day, he had already driven quite a few miles… he was amazed when i told him to press his right heel on that little hump in the floor covering to the right of his seat. LOL )

Good advice…

Don’t forget to add, it’s ■■■■!! :laughing:

That was fun. I did manage to get through get back although the dam thing kept shooting at me. The company thought I did well so they gave it to me again on Friday ALSO they are letting me take it out on Monday oh what joy. Thanks for all you help. Happy New Year all

Arfa:
That was fun. I did manage to get through get back although the dam thing kept shooting at me. The company thought I did well so they gave it to me again on Friday ALSO they are letting me take it out on Monday oh what joy. Thanks for all you help. Happy New Year all

slow down with the clutch pedal then :wink:

select the gear, press the clutch pedal, wait for a click, then release the pedal

if you release the pedal too early, it will sound like a gattling gun :wink:

petrol and a match is the only way too help a hitlers revenge

Another thing with it, is it me or is the steering wheel larger than a Scania. I keep over steering with it. When Corby Chilled had the Merc rigidsI remember the stering whell being smaller than my car in one we had. Its all good stuff

Its reassuring to know the UK haulage industry is staffed with skilled operatives familiar and comfortable with the operation of the most simple of idiot proof manual gearboxs :neutral_face:

Used to drive buses with pre select boxes called them “jumping jacks” I thought we’d moved the technology on , evidently not.
The main question is why call it semi auto ? Is there any advantage over conventional manual or full auto ?

Big Joe:
Its reassuring to know the UK haulage industry is staffed with skilled operatives familiar and comfortable with the operation of the most simple of idiot proof manual gearboxs :neutral_face:

Well Joe that proves I’m an idiot then also who said I was skilled, I’m still learning & will be until I stop trucking everyday I learn something new.

JFC999:
Used to drive buses with pre select boxes called them “jumping jacks” I thought we’d moved the technology on , evidently not.
The main question is why call it semi auto ? Is there any advantage over conventional manual or full auto ?

It just baffles me WHY they call it semi auto when to me its just a manual box with a stupid little gear lever, why not forget the idea & put a normal gear lever in. Scania is a semi auto just use clutch to pull away & stop.

Arfa:
It just baffles me WHY they call it semi auto when to me its just a manual box with a stupid little gear lever.

i think it`s just drivers that call it semi auto…merc refer to it as eps

shuttlespanker:

Arfa:

slow down with the clutch pedal then :wink:

select the gear, press the clutch pedal, wait for a click, then release the pedal

if you release the pedal too early, it will sound like a gattling gun :wink:

It’ll also do it if you preselect while low in the rev range but don’t actually dip the clutch to change till high in the rev range, as the box decides it now doesn’t want the gear it has just chosen and changes to another gear instead.