Mathematician required

Theres a guy on another forum complaining about HGV,s overtaking on dual carriageways here is his comment,

I have always thought that HGV drivers were knights of the road. I recently followed a juggernaut travelling at 58mph and another in the overtaking lane at 59mph. I joined the A1 at Carlton on Trent and could only pass the vehicles after the Lincoln turn off. I wonder if the arguement used about having to deliver goods on time is valid. After all the 1mph must make an enourmous difference.

Cany anyone tell me what the difference would have been in time for him at 70MPH and 59 MPH over a distance of 5.5 miles. as seen here maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&saddr … =UTF8&z=12

I want to sarcastically retort to his comment with the time difference asking him if it rewally means that much to him compared to the momentum of an HGV, I dont want to go in to the 58 or 69 MPH argue3mnt with him as I suspect he is talking bovine excretia.

4minutes 42 seconds at 70mph and 5minutes 35 seconds at 59mph

difference of 53 seconds which to be honest aint worth worrying about so tell him to zb off

53 seconds difference, although he may well have accelerated to 85 - 90 mph once by the truck. Also, car speedos always read faster than actual so it was probably 54 - 55 mph.
These type of conversations often degenerate into "ban lorries/make them drive only at night/no overtaking/castrate lorry drivers etc etc…

I agree :laughing:

Thanks.

Haha that’ll teach him!

Connaught I dont claim to be a mathematician but for the sake of 53 seconds I feel you might be in the class of the white van man who is always worrying about his time limits and delivery times.

Your journey of 5.5 miles would have taken (approximately) 4minutes 42 seconds at 70mph and 5minutes 35 seconds at 59mph not forgetting of course that for example someone whomay have passed an advanced driving test would know that 70 on a dual carriageway is not a target but a limit .

Some people drive so dangerously that they dont have a minute to spare let alone 53 seconds and then there are some who might change lanes within lets say 5.5 miles to record the speed of vehicles in different lanes ahead of them obviously you will agree with me that such driving standards would be considered dangerous in comparison to to the simplicity of one vehicle overtaking another.

I do hope you agree.

My reply :wink:.

What forum is this on, I would like to take a look.

some drivers would risk killing people just to gain that extra minute.

Speck:
What forum is this on, I would like to take a look.

i think it is www.juggernauts-go-slower-than-me.com

What you should be asking is why the truck on the inside doesn’t back and be a proffesional driver instead of a ■■■■ that will get all overtaking banned.

dieseldog6:
What you should be asking is why the truck on the inside doesn’t back and be a proffesional driver instead of a ■■■■ that will get all overtaking banned.

Why not just stick to the legal limit 50 that way only true numptys will complain

Good point Nick, but it will still happen at 50.

newarkadvertiser.co.uk/phpbb2

i never ovetake

sometimes i need to use lane 2 so as to keep a safe distance from the numpty in front :laughing:

I was coming down from Leicester a few years ago on a night trunk and another truck decided to overtake me when I was right on the limit. It took him nearly 10 miles to get past so I did a quick mental calculation and worked out that if he was going to the bottom of the M1 like me then he would get there about 30 seconds earlier. 30 seconds over 100 miles or so. He thought it was worth it. As someone else said it might end up with an overtaking ban on duals for all of us with that sort of driving and how good will that be?

once the word jugernought was used i would have ignored the article

tartanraider:
I was coming down from Leicester a few years ago on a night trunk and another truck decided to overtake me when I was right on the limit. It took him nearly 10 miles to get past so I did a quick mental calculation and worked out that if he was going to the bottom of the M1 like me then he would get there about 30 seconds earlier. 30 seconds over 100 miles or so. He thought it was worth it. As someone else said it might end up with an overtaking ban on duals for all of us with that sort of driving and how good will that be?

why couldn’t you do a quick mental calculation and ease off a couple of clicks and he’d have been past you in seconds, then you could both be back up to speed and the 2nd lane clear in about 2 miles.

Well said Bigusdickusgb, my sentiments too.

biggusdickusgb:

tartanraider:

why couldn’t you do a quick mental calculation and ease off a couple of clicks and he’d have been past you in seconds, then you could both be back up to speed and the 2nd lane clear in about 2 miles.

Sometimes if they are 0.00000000000000000089 mph faster that’s a good enough reason to overtake and become an honouree member of the H.H.O.T.C untill your made to feel guilty and ease off.

Slightly off topic but I had to knock off the CC today to let a sprinter in, he was struggling to get past me on the A1(M) today, never done that before they normally gone as fast as they appear in your mirrors!!!