50mph Limit..

…So, nearly a year on, has this made a difference in any way?
I ask because I was stuck behind a wagon doing 40 the other day and it came to a site I was loading out of earlier. Got talking to the driver and he didn’t know the limit had gone up, and I don’t think he was convinced even when I showed him evidence on line. He’s not a limper trying to half inch an extra few minutes per day, but a long serving driver on own account hiab work for a local building firm.

My experience of the change has largely been positive tbh, less lunatic overtakes from the usual suspects and generally far more relaxing. I do think that not all drivers know or maybe believe it as I’m constantly following HGV’S that brake to 40 when passing a scamera on s/c or braking to 50 when passing one on a d/c.

Agreed Maoster, massive improvement all round, single carriage journeys less frustrating for us so must be miles better for other road user, who as you rightly say, don’t find themselves wound up into suicidal overtakes.

Its also had the knock on effect that those in lorries who would be desperate to overtake on short dual carriage or wider overtaking lane sections no longer feel quite the need to do so, again better for our relationship with even more frustrated car drivers.

It seems to have made overtaking for those competent drivers who would anyway easier, it might be wishful thinking but those nose to tail snakes following the 39mph driver before now seem to be spaced out more.

Its not often you get behind a strict 40mph merchant now, when you do they often shoot straight up an illegal 55 where an overtaking lane on a hill might present itself, proof enough they are still the ■■■■ they would be whatever the limit or whatever they might be driving and still try to milk the dwindling opportunities of perverse pleasure they get of messing other drivers about…fortunately these clowns are rare but not extinct yet.

The new limits still catch me out sometimes, another driver flashing me warning me of camera van over the A43 just south of Northampton last week, i’m doing about 55 at the time its slightly downhill and had to double check meself not to knock it down to 50, so not surprising when some drivers still slow up to 40 for single carriage cameras…still better than some cars drivers who drop from 60+ to 30- for the same camera :wink: .

It would be interesting to see any accident statistics to see if they’ve increased or reduced on NSL single carriageway roads. I remember at the time that those opposed to the change predicted carnage on the country roads but there has been very little in the way of reports about accidents.

Remember that if you come up to Scotland its still 40 mph except for the A9 where it is 50 mph with average speed scameras between Dunblane and Inverness.The Iron Lassie has to be different.

Muckaway:
I ask because I was stuck behind a wagon doing 40 the other day and it came to a site I was loading out of earlier. Got talking to the driver and he didn’t know the limit had gone up, and I don’t think he was convinced even when I showed him evidence on line. He’s not a limper trying to half inch an extra few minutes per day, but a long serving driver on own account hiab work for a local building firm.

Did you show him the evidence from the government website or from Trucknet or something else?

alamcculloch:
Remember that if you come up to Scotland its still 40 mph except for the A9 where it is 50 mph with average speed scameras between Dunblane and Inverness.The Iron Lassie has to be different.

I’ve been lucky this last 12 months as I haven’t had to drive to or from England but have had to do the A9 from Aviemore to Troon via Perth quite often and I find the drive much more relaxing and even sometimes just sit behind an HGV and enjoy the view around me. This is in a car though. Before the ASC’s I would try to teararse up and down as fast as possible.

Muckaway:

Yep.
I drive the A12 now with 53 mph but slowed on M25 down to 54mph. Gets me faster there and helps me saving Diesel there.
So,hope everyone is happy and i keep my Traveling Time of 1 Hour 20 during other speeded up to 1 Hour 10 for that Journey.
Dont see way i shall speed up,useing more Fuel and wait there 10 minute longer till Trailer is ready

Must admit cars dont seem so keen on the suicide overtake now we go a bit quicker however some driver are not happy with 50 and now push it to the limiter. Cant please everyone I suppose.

It’s still only a limit not a target

You have to have a target in life or you will never get on. :slight_smile:

nick2008:
It’s still only a limit not a target

40mph on a nice wide A road in perfect conditions with a long queue behind is a bit retarded though. Even in a 20 year old ERF.

Trucker56:
You have to have a target in life or you will never get on. :slight_smile:

My target is to live as long as I can to scrape back as much as I can from my hard earned payed up taxes and NI contributions :grimacing:

nick2008:
My target is to live as long as I can to scrape back as much as I can from my hard earned payed up taxes and NI contributions

+1

Trucker56:

nick2008:
My target is to live as long as I can to scrape back as much as I can from my hard earned payed up taxes and NI contributions

+1

+2 not deferring the pension either, don’t trust our present and future politicians to be any less devious deviant pilferers than the last bunch of crooks.