Maps for my Laptop

OK, so ive gone all modern now and got a laptop, and one of the things I want to do is get a good map for it, I know theres autoroute and route 66 ect, but what about others? Can anybody that has actually USED and OWNED any map software put me right on this? I dont know what to get yet, I seen TOM TOM was about 140 quid!! Bit pricey for me. All constructive help appreciated, BS ignored! :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Mal you can get sat nav for your lap top for less than a £100 which would include route planning and voice turn by turn instructions!

It would mean you would need to leave your laptop on while driving but for me that is a small price to pay because SatNav is the dogs dodas!!

globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/875

You can & will get it cheaper than here!! just look as a reference!!

I know what youre saying TC, but id be too scared to leave the thing on while going down the road M8! I need just a â– â– â– â–  good map like the ones you get online, but i aint going to be connected in the cab Im on pay as you go and itd be way too dear! :slight_smile:

Mal you dont connect it to your phone!!!

they is no charge for using satnav :open_mouth: :smiley:
once you have paid for the receiver thats it :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

copoilt live 7 for laptops is pretty good voice turn by turn not sure of the price though

that copilots about 200 sqid Al! I dont want a talk you thru it type thing anyway, just a map with streets and that on so i can junk me out of date a-z’s and that

I have the latest Autoroute mal!!

If you need a copy PM me your addy! :wink:

auto route should do it then and you could add the bridge heights as a poi later if you wanted to if you get a gps this will show your postion on the map so at least if nothing else you know where you are

you got a pm TC!

By the way, anybody know would TomTom Routeplanner Route 4.10 for pocket PC work on my machine?

I use TNT Travelmanager on my PC, and the office also bought a copy on my recommendation. It allows you to enter in a postcode and will pinpoint the location on the map. The maps will go right down to street level all over the country and you can use it to plan your route if you have several drops. It is also cheap - about 30 quid I think. Downside is that it hasn’t been updated for a while so some roads are missing and some postcodes are also missing but I believe an update is soon coming. The advantages outweigh the niggles IMHO.

PS Just been to check out their website
http://www.travelmanager.co.uk and it looks like the 2004 edition is now available for £29.99 and now includes NI and Eire. Think I will have to upgrade my copy.

Calv

Travel manager is one of the ones I use, not a bad program for the price, think I’ll also have to update it.

Cheers fir the info Calv, I went to the site but the demo didnt work :laughing:

Mal:
OK, so ive gone all modern now and got a laptop, and one of the things I want to do is get a good map for it, I know theres autoroute and route 66 ect, but what about others? Can anybody that has actually USED and OWNED any map software put me right on this? I dont know what to get yet, I seen TOM TOM was about 140 quid!! Bit pricey for me. All constructive help appreciated, BS ignored! :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

mal
i have prymenav and a usb gps £130
have a look at www.globalpostioningsystems.com(co.uk
it works on laptops and pda
mapping is nav tech same as autoroute
jon

I bought a gps receiver which had a copy of Infomap Navigator with it.

Can’t recommend it really. It has an annoying habit of sending me down sliproads at motor way junctions only to send me round the roundabout at the bottom and back onto the motorway :imp:

However, it has never not found a postcode for me and is 100% accurate right down to street level. It’s just a bit dodgy at navigating over a long-distance.

Thinking of looking for new software, but like Mal, not willing to spend mega-bucks for another half-baked bit of software. :unamused:

Does autoroute shout directions at you?

Lostpup:
Does autoroute shout directions at you?

no ,lostpup
you can connect the gps unit to show you were you are but it does not give directions
jon

Mal I wouldn’t throw the maps out yet. Laptops are fine until they die on you…like mine did when the hard disk went. Just make sure you have an up to date copy of your own data files on your laptop…as losing all that info…

It’s going to take me at least a month to get it back to where it was before it died :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

lost pup you play with settings to get it not to do that

Tried that. Have set up the speeds for all different roads and set up my preferences for which roads I would rather use, ie motorways and primary roads preffered - unclassified roads, not unless it’s the only route possible.

If you can think of any other settings to avoid slip-roads unless I really should be coming off, please tell me before I go mad. :wink: