MAN TGA's.

Is it just me being ungrateful? Or does anyone else not like them :open_mouth:. I may get used to it, but at the moment, I feel it’s an overengineered bag of surging German [zb]. Maybe I shouldn’t looka a gift horse in the mouth though, as I can stand up and wave my arms around. Also I can amuse myself with the push button sun visor :laughing:. I just like my DAF CF.

Depends which TGA you have I dont mind the 1 we have it is better than the Daf cf and the Merc actros

Never had one long term , just hires and odd shifts with tesco with TGA s
but i thought they was junk , the trim of the whole cab was cheap,
ALTHO i love the “comfort shift” button for the gear change , thats class

IMHO…bag of crap

The thing’s got a number on it, somthing in the high 20’s like 26. A 2007 model anyway :laughing:. I think the boss has seen the light check it runs through when you press a couple of buttons and has fawned over the technology :unamused:. Better than a rattly German thing though, IMHO :laughing:.

It’s also got a steering wheel made for drivers with arms like Clint Eastwoods sidekick ‘Clyde’. If I were you I’d accidently heave it in the nearest ditch :wink:

Just been given an 07 plate MAN TGA 440. Had it about a month now and at the risk of sounding like a moaning driver I absolutely hate it.
The main reason for my dislike is the automatic transmission. My previous was a 53 MAN manual and I had no problems with that. But this one :imp: :imp: .

I honestly believe they are dangerous. Roundabouts are the biggest problem. I try very hard not to come to a standstill because from a standing start when fully loaded they will take a couple of seconds to decide to move off by which time there will be traffic coming round. I’m now cutting other people up simply because the damm thing won’'t get a move on.
It seems to change gear at completely random times and usually selects the wrong one so it immediately changes down again.

I will persevere but at the moment I’m getting severely racked off. So much so that I’m considering changing jobs just to get away from it. Trouble is I’m happy with the outfit I work with but not the motor. Can’t change units as the whole fleet is getting them. :angry: :angry:

Not keen on them myself either so I know how you feel mate.

I find them uncomfortable, and whoever thought up that steering wheel - well just who did they think was going to be driving? With power steering you really don’t need such a large wheel.

The current TGA will be replaced within the next year or so.

The one thing I like about them is the Comfort Shift 'box, however you rarely see them in new ones these days. The ZF AS-Tronic 'box is used, the same as in Ivecos and DAFs, and it is truly awful.

Beats me how Volvo got their I-Shift so right first time, and yet the ZF offering manages to be slow, lumpy and just horrible in every way.

tezza:
Just been given an 07 plate MAN TGA 440. Had it about a month now and at the risk of sounding like a moaning driver I absolutely hate it.
The main reason for my dislike is the automatic transmission. My previous was a 53 MAN manual and I had no problems with that. But this one :imp: :imp: .

absolutely agree 150%. im driving a 56 reg TGA this afternoon to aberdeen. i would take Kitkats 03 plate in its place if i could. i much prefer the 16 speed manual to the 12 speed auto and they removed the cup holder behind the gearstick if favour of a cubbyhole which is naff all use to anyone

animal:
Depends which TGA you have I dont mind the 1 we have it is better than the Daf cf and the Merc actros

Id have to disagree with the “better than an actros” (never driven a Daf) gears and ride maybe but everything else the actros ■■■■■■ all over the MAN.

There is absolutely no thought gone into storage or anything in the MAN the cab layout is exactly the same as the old mid cab which was bad then,apart from now they have a stupidly large windscreen where they could of increased the size of the overhead lockers

At least there is some thought gone into storage and driver comfort in the Actros and the floors completely flat.

bikemonkey:
(never driven a Daf) .

A proper wagon you don’t know what your missing

Dafman:

bikemonkey:
(never driven a Daf) .

The company I work for have bought a load of 07 XF95s,not many of the drivers like them,I have heard the old XFs are nice though.

bikemonkey:
The company I work for have bought a load of 95s,not many of the drivers like them,I have heard the XFs are nice though.

:question: :question: :question: :question:

The 95 is an XF (along with the new 105)

I think you may be refering to the 85 which is the CF

My mistake its the 105s they have bought that the drivers think are ■■■■

Sorry everybody :blush: :blush: :blush:

Dafman:

bikemonkey:
(never driven a Daf) .

Eh??!!! :open_mouth:

I’ve driven DAFs. The engines are OK and pull well. The XFs are quite roomy, but no more so than a MegaSpace.

The rest of the truck - it doesn’t impress me. DAFs feel cheap and very plasticky. Think about the difference in the materials used in a Volkswagen, and those used in a Kia. The difference is about the same between an Actros and a DAF CF of XF.

And what about the brake pedal on DAFs- funny how bits out of twenty five year old Leylands can still be used today!!!

And the gearboxes are awful - I find the manual very lumpy and a pig to get into fifth at times. And if you get one with the ZF AS-Tronic - oh dear. Slow, jerky and unpredictable.

I know loads of drivers like them and I’ll never understand why. :confused:

I’m with u Fenman…Actros any day…gone off Dafs…MANs…oooohhhhh don’t get me going :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Tezza- You’ve hit the nail on the Head. It’s the surging gearbox. Same as you, I’ll persevere. The storage and coolbox in it is great, so is the space. This really comes into it’s own when I go out and about, it only annoys me when I do the locals (which are an easy life, the jobs paid well and they leave you alone). It may be a question of getting used to it, but I don’t like the turning circle or the auto box when manouvering.

I’d like to add that the last Actros I drove dropped out of gear (with a semi automatic box mark you) at every given opportunity :laughing:. That’s why I’m counting my blessings. The thing about the DAF’s is, they do their job and allow you to do yours, without the technology getting in the way :wink:.

I only drove an auto box in a MAN for a week, and it was a pretty new demonstrator 460. My usual drive then was an XXL 460 manual. I was told to use the mD and mR position for maneouvering, which was supposed to reduce the surging. I have to say I wasn’t too impressed while reversing, which was the only time I had to do any maneouvering, but it wasn’t that bad. I put it down to my in-experience with an auto box and assumed that as I got more used to it things would improve.
As it happens I never got the chance to get used to it, because the boss decided to get me a Mega-Space Merc instead.

I found the TGA XXL cab to be a big airy, roomy work space which I thought was quite a nice place to have to spend almost all of my working week in. All that glass made it a bit too like a green-house, in the summer it was a bit too warm. In the winter it was a bit too cool and difficult to get comfortably warm. I too would have preferred more storage space in the overhead lockers, but found they where just about big enough for a week away tbh. Other than a few other silly niggles though, which you get in every cab, I was perfectly happy with it. I also like a proper truck sized steering wheel, one transplanted from a mini just never feels right to me, although I’ve got used to the smaller Merc wheel now. The MAN multi-function steering wheel is slightly smaller than the wheel in the older (52 plate , :open_mouth: older :question: ) wagons I think

this one says it all

the one i had last night was a new auto with 37k clocked up. 8 were bought at the same time, all basic spec (not even cloth doorcards) and one had a clutch go last night (not the one i had) at around 2 months old. the auto is a pile of excrement. the ONLY thing i will say about it is the improvement of the exhaust brake. it is superb compared to the older one although that does not make up for the rest of the problems that they introduced. i would rather have one thats 3 or 4 years old