It just confirms my suspicions

…that MAN is crap :smiling_imp:
I had to shunt a TGA rigid this morning, an auto box and it was just as jerky as the unit Ive driven a few monthes ago… :smiling_imp:

tell me more as i’m pushing to have an MAN with auto box next rather than a scania, was it an old one ?

When you’re used to the best then everything else just seems crap. Them AS Tronic boxes can be tamed but it takes lots of concentration and swearing and slamming on to pins flat out :blush:

ah now am i getting confused here , i used to drive an MAN TGA with the magic button on the gear lever & thought that was AS Tronic, where as the newer ones are full auto it’s the auto ones i’m interested in , as currently drive an FM with i shift & have to say somethings going to have to go some to beat it especially when yer shunting in farm yards

The button on the gearstick is Comfort Shift. For shunting the I shift can not be beaten

MolePower:
ah now am i getting confused here , i used to drive an MAN TGA with the magic button on the gear lever & thought that was AS Tronic, where as the newer ones are full auto it’s the auto ones i’m interested in , as currently drive an FM with i shift & have to say somethings going to have to go some to beat it especially when yer shunting in farm yards

Man with clutch button = Comfort Shift IIRC Broke down a lot, well it was a Man.
AS Tronic is DAF ZF Auto, and is much better than a crappy Man Auto especially with the crap buttons on the steering wheel. :unamused:

DAFMAD:

MolePower:

Man with clutch button = Comfort Shift IIRC Broke down a lot, well it was a Man.
AS Tronic is DAF ZF Auto, and is much better than a crappy Man Auto especially with the crap buttons on the steering wheel. :unamused:

I had the half split pack up on me with an erf wagon drag running at 40t. it was a seriously under powered engine too. 25mph up Beattock on a good day

DAF95XF:
…that MAN is crap :smiling_imp:
I had to shunt a TGA rigid this morning, an auto box and it was just as jerky as the unit Ive driven a few monthes ago… :smiling_imp:

on the button of the gear selctor there a

R(M) which helps you with reversing as well as the one with D( M) for going forward just remember to put it back to D or R when normal driving as if you don’t you burn the clutch out

the M in it is for manoeuvring

ah we have daf with the auto box albeit on 8 wheelers , & thought they were a bit hit n miss especially in confined areas soon worked out that anything for reverese had to be in low range , not enough throttle , you roll into something or a bit too much & you’d shoot off into the future , having said that daf are on hold due to poor steering lock, & vague auto box , they havent gone down well with some drivers who had volvo before , by choice i’d have another volvo , but our transport manager not keen on the ammount of engine problems we’ve had with some newer ones , so scumia seems to be the order of the day :cry:

what was that saying my granny used to say?

Oh, yes a poor workman blames his tools :laughing:

DAF MAN or Iveco, what does it matter? The heavy truck automatic gearbox isn’t new but has been improved tenfold over the years. The ZF box is still based on the Ecosplit, the Twin Splitter was based on an Eaton Fuller Roadranger. MAN Tipmatic, Iveco Eurotronic or DAF AS Tronic are built as the same gearbox

The selection process has changed as have the clutch actuators. I don’t honestly see why there are drivers who will not accept them and learn to love them. I was skeptical and probably a little worried about the prospect of an auto, especially in my previous job on liquid barrels. If a sloppy tank of liquid doesn’t phase them, then I don’t see why reversing under a trailer or driving through a city should be any different.

There are many posts on these forums about automatics, most from DAFMAD or DAF95XF. I wonder why there is such animosity towards something designed to make our lives easier.

eee, by gum, when e wor a lad they had 3 gear sticks, and it took 20 minutes to change into top gear goin up ower Shap, Snow was ovver mirror arms but we still plodded on. We had time to roll a ■■■ between gearchanges on t’foden :stuck_out_tongue:

If we as drivers did have a choice of trucks, then everyone would go for one with i-Shift. Me I want an easy life, if someone can help me change gear, all the better

Wheelnut:
There are many posts on these forums about automatics, most from DAFMAD or DAF95XF

Yeah course they are, whatever. :laughing: :unamused:

Wheelnut:
wonder why there is such animosity towards something designed to make our lives easier.

They don’t make life easier, but, might do for anyone thats got lazy or can’t do manuals for whatever reason. just IMHO though like your HO. IMHO they can take more concentration not less, as you have to guard against them being in the wrong gear a lot of the time especially when you need it most. The there’s the fact there’s more to go wrong and more expense to put right. But have it your way, whatever.

hey i don’t want to sound unhappy with auto boxes , i think they’re great , but i want one that will do what i want it to do when i want it to do it , a lot of my work is done in tight slipery farm yards , so i need controll & that’s what the i shift gives me , unfortunately the a s tronic just seems a bit vague, of all ive used from
9speed roadrangers , twin splitters even a dab hand with the back to front david brown gear box in a seddon 400 with a gardner 250 what a tool that was bottom line is they all do the job , but each can be suited to the job they have !

autos are pants, too slow, too dumb and i have to say the man autos scare the ■■■■ out of me. i wish they would all go out of fashion but sadly that doesn’t look likely :angry:

Our old Man TGA autos are fine, you just have to have a very VERY sensative foot…! Although they’re not a patch on i-shift

The fleet is going soon to be replaced with Merc Powershift, this is a good gearbox… with a manovering button for tight holes etc

I used to say that the Eaton Twin Splitter was the top gearbox (just the job for a lazy driver like me). Now I often drive MAN Autos and i think they are the canine’s testicles. Like anything else you have to learn how to get the best out of them but you never see any of ours being banged under the pin etc.

Remember there are FOUR positions on the selector. In practice most drivers rarely use the high speed reverse (too fast), or the low speed forward (restricted to 5kph). Once you learn to force the downchange (by blipping the throttle) approaching a roundabout you have (mostly) cracked it.

And yes DAFMAID - I am just about the laziest driver you will ever meet. If there is an easy way to do something I am on it like a terrier on a rat. I don’t mean i hang the job out, or skive off but I see no point in exerting myself if there is a better way.

Santa:
And yes DAFMAID - I am just about the laziest driver you will ever meet. If there is an easy way to do something I am on it like a terrier on a rat. I don’t mean i hang the job out, or skive off but I see no point in exerting myself if there is a better way.

No probs, you like them and find them, easier, I don’t and don’t think they are. There we go that’s much easier than silly ■■■■■■■■ and accusations isn’t it ? :laughing:

well after having 20 years of manual boxes starting with an F10 with the old splitter on the dashboard and ending up in a V8 scania i am now in my first ever auto, a 2007 MAN TGA 480 … AND I LOVE IT ok it does some unexpected things now and again but its soooooo easy to drive, i,ve done the blipping the throttle on a V8 to get a nice sound out of the stacks as you change gear, now i just want to go from a to b nice and relaxed , which this auto MAN does no problems at all

I would have thought some of the not so good drivers among us would welcome an auto box, at least then when it goes ■■■■ up you can blame the gearbox instead of your lack of driving skills

philmots:
Our old Man TGA autos are fine, you just have to have a very VERY sensative foot…! Although they’re not a patch on i-shift

The fleet is going soon to be replaced with Merc Powershift, this is a good gearbox… with a manovering button for tight holes etc

driven a couple of new mans on trade plates, nice big cab and huge windscreen, as for the gear box very jumpy or delicate but i found when tryin to move more slowly just put it into the slug mode and as moving switch to normal drive without trailer they bounce allover the place if you dont, they also have alot of error codes that pop up its usually the fuel filter, plus man box dont like hills, but a nice modern cab, too many buttons on wheel though.

i also drove i brand new daf xf it looked the dogs jaggly’s think it must of had similar gear box, if not it was set out exact same but again very delicate but to be fair both trucks were a nice enough drive daf probably edged it, got a pic of the daf somewere try get it up on here. but the scania i drove for stobarts on assessment was in my opinion far better i liked the use of the clutch to pull away the man and daf had that slight delay at junctions which i didnt like, you could probably set the gearing differently but not sure all in all all were very good units especially compared to my old daf cf day cab :wink:

MolePower:
tell me more as i’m pushing to have an MAN with auto box next rather than a scania, was it an old one ?

There just seems to be absolutely no control over the speed you move at - dodgy when you’re reversing it - you just seem to bounce all over the place and the speed seems to range from fast to bloody fast…
And its got a ridiculousy small accelerator pedal… :confused:
Its a relatively new on an 07 plate :wink:

I drive a volvo fh12 with the i shift have done for the last year tbh they are the worst out of the 2 manual vs auto I would love to go back to a manual as we deliver to farms across the uk and with the auto box its all or nothing if the farm is wet and muddy you get loads of wheel spin where the scanna manual dont plus i would stay away from volvo if you drive at night the lights are as about as much use as choclate fire guard as our boss wont let us fit roof bars or anything he wants to keep them standardo in my choice it would be a scanny topline manual anyday