MAN Automatic

Has anyone any advice for driving a Man with a automatic gear box i have only ever driven a scania r500 with manual gearbox and i have a driving assestment in a man in a few days.
Is there much of a difference ?
Are they tiptronic?
Do you have to use tiptronic if they have it or just put it into drive and go ?

I presume i will be pulling an empty trailor for the assestment

any help appreciated

vinny.

Yes I have - worst truck Ive ever driven :imp:
Its a point and go gearbox and when you reverse it, its best to use R(m) (reverse manual) which gives you far better control.

They’re not that bad :wink:

As said, Reverse Manual is a must when reversing, you can stick the throttle on the floor, but you will only crawl back at a nice, controlled pace. I tend to leave it Auto when travelling empty, but i put it in manual when loaded. That’s just my personal preference. Just dont forget you are in manual when you crawl up to a junction or toll booth and try and pull away in 12th, the truck doesn’t like it, nor do the people travelling behind you :blush:

has it a clutch or is it clutch less?

No clutch :slight_smile:

DAF95XF:
Yes I have - worst truck Ive ever driven :imp:
Its a point and go gearbox and when you reverse it, its best to use R(m) (reverse manual) which gives you far better control.

I Have to agree 100% with you mate!!!:o :astonished: :wink:

C-Kay:

As said, Reverse Manual is a must when reversing, you can stick the throttle on the floor, but you will only crawl back at a nice, controlled pace. I tend to leave it Auto when travelling empty, but i put it in manual when loaded. That’s just my personal preference. Just dont forget you are in manual when you crawl up to a junction or toll booth and try and pull away in 12th, the truck doesn’t like it, nor do the people travelling behind you :blush:

Hi,

On the ZF AS-Tronic does it still attempt to pull-away in whatever gear you select even if it’s too high? I only ask as the only Automated Manual Transmission I’ve driven is the fantastic Volvo I-Shift and on that the ECU will only accept a pull-away if the gear selected is between 1-6, anything in the 7-12 region and the second you hit the gas the Transmission ECU will override and kill the throttle…as I did this once on National Express as I put it into Manual and the lights ahead changed suddenly so my mind forgot about the gearbox still being in 9th! When I went to pull-away nothing happened and the LCD showed “Check diagnostics for Transmission ECU at next stop”…quick check showed numpty (me) had forgotten to put it back into Automatic, quick flick and we were flying!

Richard
:slight_smile:

Drove a 08 MAN TGX last night for the first time, fully automatic no clutch bit strange at first :smiley: but really great drive when you get used to it. It’s just like a automatic car select D for drive or R for reverse or D (M) or R (M) for slow or tricky manoeuvres thats it.

The Lyonator:

C-Kay:

Hi,

On the ZF AS-Tronic does it still attempt to pull-away in whatever gear you select even if it’s too high? I only ask as the only Automated Manual Transmission I’ve driven is the fantastic Volvo I-Shift and on that the ECU will only accept a pull-away if the gear selected is between 1-6, anything in the 7-12 region and the second you hit the gas the Transmission ECU will override and kill the throttle…as I did this once on National Express as I put it into Manual and the lights ahead changed suddenly so my mind forgot about the gearbox still being in 9th! When I went to pull-away nothing happened and the LCD showed “Check diagnostics for Transmission ECU at next stop”…quick check showed numpty (me) had forgotten to put it back into Automatic, quick flick and we were flying!

Richard
:slight_smile:

If you’re at a stand still, it will change down to a lower gear automatically, if you are rolling (like i do at booths and roundabouts) it will stay in the gear it’s in