Man tipmatic gearbox

Will be getting a 26t man with a tipmatic gearbox, anyone give an idiots gudie on how to use it properly, im used to the volvo and renault auto boxes but never used the man box?

Neil

MAN is more or less the same, just with a different badge on it, as far as I know.

its really simple D goes forward and R goes backwards.
thats it really

Is’nt there a D1, D2 and D3 or something

theres a “Dm” and a “Rm”

used purely for messing about with the switch in my opinion. they are just for manouvering around at slow speeds but personaly i think your better off in the normal forward and reverse.

bit of a tip though…dont switch it over while you are driving, it will stay in that gear until you have pulled on to the hard shoulder and turned it completely off for ten minutes. (i did it bored one day in road works while i was in 9th :blush: :blush: ) took me a phone call to hill hire then one to MAN asking what the code ffs diagnostics on the dash means! try explaining that one!!!

bit of a tip though when you do get it, if youre crawling forward in traffic on a hill use the handbrake dont just crawl forward as it will seem to slow then surge forward (nearly ploughed into a few cars that day).

personally i dont like it, it is no where near as responsive as manual but i guess its meant to save fuel and it goes quite well on the motorway, doesnt struggle much on hills!

Giblsa:
bit of a tip though when you do get it, if youre crawling forward in traffic on a hill use the handbrake dont just crawl forward as it will seem to slow then surge forward

Totally agree.

I had an 07 plate 26-440 today for the first time,and wasn’t impressed at times,as it was either all or nothing at slow speeds.

Ken.