Auto or manual gear box?

I just thought it would be interesting to know who prefers which.

I-Shift Yes, AS-Tronic No

no preference :slight_smile:

I absolutely detest the auto wagon we have at our yard, it’s so slow to react, changes up at 1700 :open_mouth: hard to keep momentum going when coming up to a roundabout as in you slow right down and when you’ve got a gap you put your foot down to pull out and the [zb] thing goes into 1st :unamused:

Defo a manual, all the way. At least I can blast about and complete my deliveries in record time.

My new boss went to look at 2 Daf XF’s last week, after finding out they were both auto box’s (green ex Carters Super Space Cabs) he asked my opinion of them, as he hasnt had any dealings with them, (auto box’s),my experience with them is limited, but after telling him my views he has gone today to look at 2 Volvo FH XL’s with manual box’s, (which are white which will save a bit cos they wont have to be resprayed, unlike the green Daf’s!) so my vote is manual all the way, (preferably coupled to a Scania V8, but i will be happy with the FH.)

Manual. I prefer changing the gears myself its part of being a driver, being in control of the truck.

wouldnt trade my Allison box for a manual Not a chance!!!

Manual any day

Atleast you dont feel like a steering wheel attendant and you are in control (well sort of :smiley: )

No real preference, had an 85 at Salvesens and it was fine. There again I like the Merc boxes, really a driver should be able to drive whatever he or she is given as long as it is legal

A very clever auto or a manual. Cheap, fleet spec autos aren’t worth their weight in dog ■■■.

bringbakbiffa:
wouldnt trade my Allison box for a manual Not a chance!!!

Allison gearboxes are for girls :smiling_imp:

Manual gear box - i always seem to stall and auto box :exclamation: :blush: :blush: :wink: :laughing: :grimacing:

bubsy06:
Manual. I prefer changing the gears myself its part of being a driver, being in control of the truck.

gives a feeling of control and helps relieve boredom

Pete Griff:
really a driver should be able to drive whatever he or she is given as long as it is legal

you wouldn’t have though so reading some of the things that get posted on here :laughing:

My mind says manual, left elbow and left hip say I-shift.

Then again I like Eaton Twin-splits and Fuller road-rangers, and have no qualms about a David Brown with a 2-speed axle.
The Volvo manual boxes with which I am doomed to wrestle on a daily basis (till i get my auto back next month) are a poor tool compared to older boxes.

Manual every time.

Simply because it allows more control.

I think manufacturers should stop making things so automated. Volvo are designing a virtual co driver that can take over from you i think.soon we wont be a driver we will be a watcher i reckon.

Few years ago I would have Manual…

But now I would go for the full Auto, Volvo or Merc, prefably…

This means I can drink me coffee eat me pasties, use me phone etc, without having to spill/drop anything at roundabouts etc…

Auto,Auto,Auto,Auto,how many times do I have to say it?
Have had Auto’s in Stralis,FH and now Actros.Had to drive a manual 2 weeks ago,left leg up and down, left arm up and down and sideways thought we had left that behind in the 70’s.
What’s all this testerone thing about like to be in control? There is a manual button if (if ) you need it. You don’t see Jensen Button using his left foot on a clutch.
And my two cars are auto(but again I can use them manually if I - the driver - decides to over rule the gearbox.

disgo:
What’s all this testerone thing about like to be in control?

the difference between a driver and a steering wheel attendant

Merc auto,i don’t leave home without it :smiley: . Volvo and DAF manual box’s are very heavy…no need. Scania manual is better than the auto option thou. I also like the MAN manual,with comfortshift-best of both world’s.

One thing mentioned above-stalling an auto? How do you do it,i have tried but it won’t stall no matter what. :question: