Auto or manual gear box?

Dman:
I think manufacturers should stop making things so automated. Volvo are designing a virtual co driver that can take over from you i think.soon we wont be a driver we will be a watcher i reckon.

The only reason a modern truck needs a driver is to hang the hi-viz on something :laughing:

Vascoingles:

disgo:
Whatā€™s all this testerone thing about like to be in control?

the difference between a driver and a steering wheel attendant

says the bloke sat behind a desk :stuck_out_tongue:

Manual for me, more control in town and yards etc. Autoā€™s are fine for the open road but very boring I find.

manual any day, although i do like the power shift in the merc ( 16 speed 1, with a clutch )

Went to a meeting of the Institute of Advanced Motorists,guest speaker said the clutch will soon be history.That was 15 years ago. I have never driven auto commercials apart for a couple of shifts in an old bus.i.m.o. a much easier drive.

This time last week iā€™d have said manual everytime but since then iā€™ve driven an i-shift. Iā€™d still say manual but the i-shift is bloody good.

Steve-o:

bringbakbiffa:
wouldnt trade my Allison box for a manual Not a chance!!!

Allison gearboxes are for girls :smiling_imp:

I dont care !!! If I can have an easy life then I will take it a manual in my job wouldnt cope!!

Wheel Nut:

Vascoingles:

disgo:
Whatā€™s all this testerone thing about like to be in control?

the difference between a driver and a steering wheel attendant

says the bloke sat behind a desk :stuck_out_tongue:

yup the one who may well have reversed more miles than you have driven forwards

auto or twin split
synchro is for wooses

A few weeks back iā€™d have said definitly maunal, but iā€™ve started to become used to the Auto box, so i dont really have a preference at the moment.

Happy being a steering wheel attendant thankyou!

Volvo FH12 i-shift. :smiley:

I-Shift

Auto, I have no desire to be anything more than a steering wheel attendant.

Coffeeholic:

In your case you are excused due to advanced age :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Vascoingles:

Coffeeholic:

In your case you are excused due to advanced age :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you kindly. :stuck_out_tongue:

I SHIFT yes 100%
OPTICRUISE no
for me it is a no brainer volvo wins hands down everytime cannot fault it the opticruise is not as good too slow and doesnā€™t seem to think as well also any automatic worth itā€™s salt would not need a clutch pedal

here endeth the rant back to my opticruise tomorrow :frowning:

having had 3 weeks driving with an optidriver gearbox, I would go for an auto anytime :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Definetely prefer a manual box,i prefer to be in control of the vehicle-i currently drive an man tga with auto box and i have to say its jerky when manouvering in tight spots-i also feel you get better performance with a manual-i have driven a few scania r500 v8ā€™s and have found vehicle performance is far better with the manual than with the opticruise.
Looking at it another way though if i was a company owner/manager going out to order a fleet of trucks i think i would specify auto boxs because they do give a better average fuel figure in a fleet-they wont improve a good driver but they do improve the fuel returns of a bad driver and you dont have the worry of clutch failures on fully automatic boxs,but if i was an owner driver i would go for manual.

I donā€™t understand the loss of control argument of using an auto box, I remember a few year ago when a few auto box were launched, drivers complained of lack of low speed control especially when manourvering. But I drive a Volvo with an Ishift box and the only reason anybody wouldnā€™t be able to control it in a tight spot would be because they have a nervous tick in thier right foot.
Itā€™s far easier to drive round urban areaā€™s than a manual.
And if on the odd occasion it doesnā€™t get you the gear you want there is an easy to use manual option.
I suppose sometimes I do miss the process of physically changing gear, but that has more to do with nostalgia than any problems with the gearbox.

Manual box all the way for my job
We have fleet spec Daf AS Tronic for delivering chicken feed on farms which includes driving round fields to individal chicken houses its slow jerky and i get stranded on wet grass.Used to work on landfill sites with vacuum tanks with a manual Foden Alpha basically same truck never got stuck once.
And yes i have stalled the Daf more than once it just dosent change quick enough :blush: :blush: :blush:
I prefere the old battered 8wheeler ERF if i have to go into the fields lol never ever got stuck even in the snow :smiley: :smiley: