Auto or manual gear box?

I like to be in control of the vehicle

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwn, oh FFS give it a rest, since when did you steer, accelerate, stop with the gear lever, if you really feel like a nuetered moggy without that DIY stick thingy, theres a button marked Manhood that allows you to revert to alpha male once again :unamused:

After driving various trucks with manual boxes, I can honestly say that I prefer the AST Daf that I have, it is a new one and thus has had most of the niggles sorted in my opinion, it is not slow on the uptake, unlike many around here :laughing: And it must save me hundreds of gearchanges everyday in the smoke, but more importantly, it allows me to be fully in control of the vehicle, both hands on the wheel and looking where I am going :sunglasses: I love itā€¦And it sounds great too, especially when it raises the revs momentarily before it makes a change :smiley: :smiley: Sounds like a manual being DD clutched

Manual defo if the opticruise on scania are anything to go by they are that slow a changeing gear whether in manual or auto even elec milkfloats leave ya at the lights!!! :blush: (talkin from experiance)

iv got an 08 actros 12 speed auto. Used to loose the gears in roundabouts, 7 4 7 4 7 4 beep beep neutral. So back to Mercs on a recall now it thinks for bout 3 very long seconds before it moves and on bad days holds the gear and wont let go as you slow down, 400 revs and less then you have to do it manually . Give me an Eaton crash box any day !!!

marble:
iv got an 08 actros 12 speed auto. Used to loose the gears in roundabouts, 7 4 7 4 7 4 beep beep neutral. So back to Mercs on a recall now it thinks for bout 3 very long seconds before it moves and on bad days holds the gear and wont let go as you slow down, 400 revs and less then you have to do it manually . Give me an Eaton crash box any day !!!

Get your handbook out and follow the "short teach in " instructions. If this doesnt work try the ā€œlong teach inā€ if that doesnt work burn the truck.

Manual attached to a V8 please. :smiley:

volvo i shift our renault auto love themā€¦scania no no no no

As i have never seen an auto box in action do you half to lift your foot of the accelerator when it changes gear. :question: :question:

removalboy:
As i have never seen an auto box in action do you half to lift your foot of the accelerator when it changes gear. :question: :question:

You can, or you let the computer do it, use the cruise control, press resume simply steer with both feet flat on the floor and watch it overtake all these diehard manual only drivers. :laughing:

Vascoingles:

Wheel Nut:

Vascoingles:

disgo:
Whatā€™s all this testerone thing about like to be in control?

the difference between a driver and a steering wheel attendant

says the bloke sat behind a desk :stuck_out_tongue:

yup the one who may well have reversed more miles than you have driven forwards

Well with that quote youā€™ve just proved itā€™s a testosterone thing!

Iā€™m happy to be a steering wheel attendant, Iā€™m in no rush to beat anybody for miles, forward or backward and I truly hope as I get older I wont become one of those ā€˜Iā€™ve done more miles backwards, look how much Ive doneā€™ chaps who hates anything new.

switchlogic:

Vascoingles:

Or that he hasnā€™t got a good sense of direction and got lost alot :grimacing:

Big Joe:

switchlogic:

Vascoingles:

Or that he hasnā€™t got a good sense of direction and got lost alot :grimacing:

or Rog can probably give you some advice to aid your reversing skills :laughing:

no malice was used or intended in the original post.

When I get my wage slip at the end of the week I tend to look at it and measure against a thing I like to call the ā€œeffort to reward ratioā€ (how much effort I have to put into the job). For me it will be Auto every time - why work harder than you have to. It may give you a feeling of satisfaction pumping a clutch and wagging a stick, but try counting how many times you do it in a day and then think about the bloke sitting there getting the same money as you letting the truck do the work. Its not rocket science.

i like to have control of the vehicle so i would choose manual every time. i wont change my mind until i am on a skid pan with an auto and maybe not even then

> Grumpygraeme:
> When I get my wage slip at the end of the week I tend to look at it and measure against a thing I like to call the ā€œeffort to reward ratioā€ (how much effort I have to put into the job). For me it will be Auto every time - why work harder than you have to. It may give you a feeling of satisfaction pumping a clutch and wagging a stick, but try counting how many times you do it in a day and then think about the bloke sitting there getting the same money as you letting the truck do the work. Its not rocket science.

Sense at last!

scanny77:
i like to have control of the vehicle so i would choose manual every time. i wont change my mind until i am on a skid pan with an auto and maybe not even then

Well I power slid an auto tipper on cat and fiddle today, good funā€¦ And in control I might add. Nice easy road with an auto, both loaded and empty, hate to think of the gear changes I could have done with a manualā€¦ :unamused: :unamused:

i miss gear stick

to lean on

i love missing it cos i have more room for me

in a bedford tk it used to annoy me when sleeping across the seats on a night out (them were te days)
nowdays i donā€™t have any option i drive what the firm buys,but as long as it doesnā€™t affect my take home pay then i dont care either way.
to some its a falic symbol bit like the e type or capri.
either way its no great loss or bonus but its def the future :wink:

I was told that automatics are cheaper to buy than manuals currently. My preference changes depending on what mood Iā€™m in, but itā€™s never bothered me all that much.
I like to use the gear stick in my truck as an armrest whilst Iā€™m fulfilling my ā€œsteering wheel attendantā€ duties whilst sat in 6th with the cruise control active on the motorway/dual carriageways

EBGBz:
I like to use the gear stick in my truck as an armrest whilst Iā€™m fulfilling my ā€œsteering wheel attendantā€ duties whilst sat in 6th with the cruise control active on the motorway/dual carriageways

I think most autoā€™s come with proper armrests as standard, but the donā€™t always fit them to manuals as you need the space to shift gear. :smiley:

M G b:
Manual for me, more control in town and yards etc. Autoā€™s are fine for the open road but very boring I find.

Moving my left arm about and lifting my left leg up and down relieves boredom! I must get out more!