Man 464 18,3l v10

Hi, i’m new to the forum, looks interesting.
Just wanted to ask if anyone had experience of the MAN 464 V10 tractor.
I had one between 89-92 on long haul groupage to Spain. Not the most economical of trucks but an awesome machine, any sort of incline it took in its stride and the engine note unreal :sunglasses:
Was looking through one of my old editions of Commercial Motor and brought back memories and great times…

Andy :wink:

I thought only the 502 was a V10 :question:

Sorry, typo error. It was actually a 19-462. The first with the big twin turboV10. It had the ZF 16speed range change and splitter gear box but as imagined you could skip gears even fully loaded.

Was this the same lump that later became the 19.603. I remember an article some while ago about a young O/D with one of these running at 40 tonnes.

like buzzard asked,are you sure about the v10 bit?

:sunglasses: my dad had one for nick pilbeam doing london flower markets shame there is no pictures does anybody else know of nick pilbeam from harwich ■■

glenman:
like buzzard asked,are you sure about the v10 bit?

Yes mate, left hand drive and originally not available in the UK. Im sure about the V10 as i had it from new and drove it for three years. It had the ‘460 PS’ decals all over it exactly like the Commercial Motor article at the time.

Yep, 462 was a V10, 18.3litre, twin turbo, the first right hand drive ones I saw were in Containership colours, about 1990 or 91 I think, maybe Lucy can tell us more.

The block was actually a Mercedes item, the Merc version having more power than MANs at 502bhp, but they never used it in a highway tractor, only in Titan units and as a marine or generartor engine.

Seen one advertised for a marine application rated (i think) 770hp…

Just remembered Merc did use the 18.3 litre V10 in a road vehicle, but normally aspirated, the 1936 and 2636, rated at 355bhp, Pekaes used to run them. It was never sold here. A replacement I suppose for the ubiquitous 16litre V10 of the 1632.