High bhp in the 90s

Read a lot on here about the Scania V8s and the big sixteen Volvos but it would be nice to hear a bit about the others. Who drove the Mack V8 engined magnums at 500/520bhp or the MAN V10s (500/520bhp?) Merc SK 480/500s and even eurostar at 520bhp.

never mind the 500 hp mans, did anybody drive a 603 man ? :slight_smile:

Hiya … there was a plant hire firm in Chesterton Stoke on trent who had a V10 MAN for lowloader work , a chap in leek George Cordon
drove it at one time,It was quite a few years ago maybe in the late 70,s.It pulled like a train he told me.
John

I drove a 480 V8 Turbo star in 89/90 a few times G270 JCP i think, that could pull it had the 13 speed fuller in…no speed limiters then :smiley:

what a motor

i had a 460 but only ever seen those 603’s in europe . would still take one today.

I never knew they made a 600bhp one, was it generally available or a left ■■■■■■ 4x2 only(think thats the score with there V8 now)?.

By whiplash_012 at 2008-10-18
520 Magnum I did a bit of rooting around in.Beast. :smiley:

NB12:
I never knew they made a 600bhp one, was it generally available or a left ■■■■■■ 4x2 only(think thats the score with there V8 now)?.

i’m not too sure but i think the most of them were for heavy haulage but could be got as a 4x2, and i think maybe only in left hand drive. very overlooked truck in its day i think but the 460 i had was a great truck so that 603 must have been able to go.

i had a 403 roadhaus id have one today,the 520 magnum was a rare beast aswell
this one was for sale at walker movements

these were some motors v8 520

We had an early 500AE Renault

I always thought the Roadhaus looked smart, had quite a flat engine hump inside so pleanty space. I take it the V10 fell foul of the emissions regs and thats how it never made it into the new models.

How things have proressed , we have just taken delivery of 4 new Volvo FM13 ,450 bhp 4 X 2 units plated at 28 tonnes,we never gross out at more than 24 tonnes

If you think that’s bad, I was going down the M1 earlier, I stopped at Toddington, and in the truck parking was a German-registered Atego 7.5tonner with the 280bhp engine!!!

Ed

Well we have a number of Scania 420s with the optiruise box in them ,they have the overdrive option which gives 56mph at 1100 rpm they go up hill and down dale in top and have been averaging just over 11mpg,its all down to the gearing.Volvo advised the 450 over the 410

i drove a 7.5ton 2 car transporter in 2004/5 , MAN LE8.180 day cab , was bloody quick up to 60 , this was cos it used to be a one car box van for delivering "posh "motors , it accelerated like stink , even with 2 cars , but was at the edge of the red range /hitting the limiter at 62 . [shame they put the limiter on - it was t reg 1998] i drove another elswhere that wernt limited [it was newer too ? how did that come about ?] and it would hit 80+ , not that i ever did that .

I had a DAF 95 with the 500 ■■■■■■■ in it. It drove like a dream and sounded so good. However, with the way technology has progressed, I reckon the 460 that
I now drive is a far more effective vehicle.

Something I’ve mentioned before on here…

I used to go into the ■■■■■■■ engine plant at Darlington on average 4/5 times a week. When they used to do things like Truckfest and others, they would take their demo trailer out. Now as you can imagine, it was one of those hospitality type ones, and it was pulled by a Seddon Atkinson, with a 14ltr in it, developing 600bhp.

Not bad for a vehicle that was pulling something as light as Rikki’s wallet. :laughing:

Ken.

glenman:
never mind the 500 hp mans, did anybody drive a 603 man ? :slight_smile:

only had a play in one, a 200 tonner mind you; i remember going into the little MAN service dealer at Tuxford with the driver from Bohnet’s in Germany who we were working alongside, to try get a small part (can’t recall what now) and the bloke was rather supercilious that I’d got it wrong, there was no such thing as a 603 :laughing: Would have been early 1998 IIRC

I always worked for low horsepower skinflints, only when I was doing the buying many years later did i get near thre 550s and 660s :wink: