M25/M1 jct Closure?

Having run into this jam today coming from M3, see the signs too late. Wanted to go Northbound M1.

Gets to jct 21 and diversion route posted was to follow A405 south and join M1 North. Only thing was I noticed, nothing was moving past the fly-over over the 25!!! So I went A405 North to St Albans M10. Once I got to the flyover over the M1, there was nothing on the M1!!!

Can someone explain what the hell happened and who the hell set the diversion route to run into the back end of the already horrendous Q’s?

Hi clarky,on my way home at the end of my shift i went over the m1 at jnct 8 heading into hemel,& the q was backed up on the s/b carridgeway to j8,heard sally traffic say that an accident occured between 6 & 7 n/b at about 11am causing the n/b carridgeway to be closed & 2 lanes s/b to b closed as well.They also closed the exits off the M25 at jnc 21.She also said that because of the tube strike & all the xtra traffic on the roads that all the M1 was gridlocked & the que’s went back to the marylebone flyover!!! After having a mare of a day in london yesterday i’m just glad i was no where near the place.Hope u got back in a reasonable time regards DT

hello ppl the prob was someone wanted to jump off one of the gantry,s near hemel so the plod closed nth bnd and 2 lanes sth .

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds … 095309.stm

I think the diversion signs sending traffic A405 South are for night time works and should really be removed in the day.The permanent signed diversion route is A405 to Park St roundabout and A414 (M10) North to rejoin M1 Northbound.
One person causing so much trouble and cost to other people should not be allowed to close a major route for this amount of time.
Herts Police should have followed Northants example a few weeks ago on the A14 and parked a double deck trailer under the jumper.When he realised he would only fall 2ft,he gave up.
But then Herts Police are amateurs and worse than useless !!

extrucker:
I think the diversion signs sending traffic A405 South are for night time works and should really be removed in the day.The permanent signed diversion route is A405 to Park St roundabout and A414 (M10) North to rejoin M1 Northbound.
One person causing so much trouble and cost to other people should not be allowed to close a major route for this amount of time.
Herts Police should have followed Northants example a few weeks ago on the A14 and parked a double deck trailer under the jumper.When he realised he would only fall 2ft,he gave up.
But then Herts Police are amateurs and worse than useless !!

Well someone from the highways agency should be shot for leaving the diversion signs up!!! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: Glad I realised it didn’t look right.
I sympathise that people go through a bad time and feel the need to express their dismay…but FFS surely the police can some up with a way to put off “bridge jumpers”■■?

As in Northants Polices example…

Any other suggestions■■?

I will start…

A line of trucks to roll up under the bridge■■?

A giant fly paper gun that would wrap itself round the unsuspecting person■■?

Or persuade them to jump!!!

I had the misfortune to be held up in a simialr jam at the M5/M6 junction about three years ago where someone was on the brdige over the motorway at junction 7 M6.

There were a chorus of voices shouting “jump” - at least then we could keep UK PLC stocked with all those precious items - either that or charge the daft so and so with all the costs invilved in the delay!!!

The most obvious solution tho… :bulb:

Make access to the sides of bridges impossible…ie, caged off :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: this could also be made so that its virtually impossible to throw oblects onto carraigeway :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Overhead gantries should have locked access panels :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Clarky:
The most obvious solution tho… :bulb:

Make access to the sides of bridges impossible…ie, caged off :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: this could also be made so that its virtually impossible to throw oblects onto carraigeway :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Overhead gantries should have locked access panels :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

those gantry’s i always thought to actually get on to the access ladder you need an additional ladder to place at the bottom as the access ladder does not go all the way to the bottom :question: :question:

if they had locks who would keep the keys :question: :question: :question: with all the differernt sub-contractors etc etc :question: :confused: :confused:

i remember reading about this happening in china and a fustrated motorist climed up and pushed the bloke off!!!

deano6595:
‘…someone wanted to jump off one of the gantry,s near hemel…’

**'…Jump, you [zb], jump
Jump into this ‘ere blanket that we are holding - and weee will save you
Laugh? I nearly ■■■■ (rhymes with ‘cat’)
…there wa-a-as no blanket…’

If you need to put stars to get it past the auto censor that is the clue it’s not allowed. Not that difficult to comprehend eh?

**Edited to add quotation punctuation and give crediting reference to ‘Derek and Clive’ written and performed by Peter Cook and Dudley Moore: I trust such explanation makes it easier to appreciate the accuracy and humour that this otherwise mawkish theme flippin’ needs.

edtheshark:
Or persuade them to jump!!!

I had the misfortune to be held up in a simialr jam at the M5/M6 junction about three years ago where someone was on the brdige over the motorway at junction 7 M6.

There were a chorus of voices shouting “jump” - at least then we could keep UK PLC stocked with all those precious items - either that or charge the daft so and so with all the costs invilved in the delay!!!

I would love you to go and meet the mum of this kid and explain why it was such a great idea for those scum to shout jump.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derb … 652298.stm

Chunky:
‘…I would love you to go and meet the mum of this kid and explain why it was such a great idea for those scum to shout jump…’

‘Love’ and ‘scum’ = a bit bi-polar or a frustrated tree-hugger?

(I missed out on the ‘Jade Goody’ fascination too - but I manage to live with it)

Clarky:
Any other suggestions■■?

Sniper. Warning shot, 1 minute to start climbing down, kill shot. Sorted.

Coffeeholic:

Clarky:
Any other suggestions■■?

Sniper. Warning shot, 1 minute to start climbing down, kill shot. Sorted.

Man after my own heart…

He wants to jump, one quick brain shot, hes happy hes dead, and we are happy, we are on our way, simple! :grimacing: