M11

Driver dies after being hit with a lump of concrete thrown from bridge

mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/de … r-10961568

RIP poor driver.

I really hope someone’s dash cam helps find whoever did this.

That’s shocking! Poor fella going about his business and trying to feed his family when some scrote who isn’t fit to lace his boots ends his life. About time the punishment fit the crime.

Rip fella.

Happening around Tea Time too, apparently. I use the M11 every shift, as I imagine a lot of other fellow drivers do out there.
It used to be the A12 that was notorious for overbridges being used like this - but now?

RIP driver. :frowning:

: Why do I think when somebody is arrested, they will be a couple of 13-14 year olds who are board of the summer holidays.

RIP Drive.

Yes, this does seem to happen more often during the summer months…
I’ve been very conscious of people hanging about on bridges for some time now. If I’m alone on the road, I’ll steer over to the other side of the road so I’m not going underneath them directly. You never know when someone perfectly innocent might kick a loose stone or something inadvertently so that it comes straight down from the bridge…

The only time I ever got hit though - was a deliberate hard-thrown stone that flew out of an alleyway that I’d just noticed a group of teenage kids walking into prior to passing it.

Took out my passenger window, and showered my lap with glass, with the stone ending up in my footwell.
I’d only just left the depot on my outward trip, so I just U turned around the next roundabout, and took it back.
The firm were not happy I booked all the hours talking to the police, etc. - but there was no way I wasn’t going to report this… Not that anything came of it of course. :frowning:

I’ve had bottles and cans (beer?) lobbed at me a few times on friday nights as well, but they always fell short, or hit low down on the front, with the kids scarpering once again down the nearest alleyway upon impact…

We don’t need new laws to tackle this - just enforce the current ones!

Attempted Murder should be just that - “A heavy missile likely to cause injury or death” would be anything like a stone, brick, rock, or large piece of metal when thrown off a motorway bridge into fast moving traffic!

Complete tragedy, RIP drive.

I really hope they catch him/her/them.
R.I.P Driver!

tango boy:
I really hope they catch him/her/them.
R.I.P Driver!

Not him/her/them.

I suggest IT.

R.I.P.

I read a report in some tabloid rag today that claims that the police are satisfied that the concrete was NOT thrown from a bridge but more likely flicked up by a passing vehicles wheels.

Still a bloody tragedy though.

the maoster:
I read a report in some tabloid rag today that claims that the police are satisfied that the concrete was NOT thrown from a bridge but more likely flicked up by a passing vehicles wheels.

A piece of concrete large enough here?

“A likely story” he thinks.

Just tell the police that the suspects are “out of reach because”… and they might well come up with a cover story like this. After all, we’ve had them pay £10,000 to a convicted paedo - so who knows what else they’ll attempt in the name of the “greater good”? :unamused:

Concrete Footwell.jpg

I’d like to see demonstrations of “wheels attempting to flick up a piece about this size” to be less of a skeptic about all this. :neutral_face:

A glancing blow against a piece on the footpath going over the overbridge? What’s the vehicle doing on the pavement to hit it I might ask?
If it were actually in the road, down from the kerb - it’s going to be all the harder to “ping it sizeways, through the railings, down onto the motorway below” simply because the piece will likely be too big to fit through the railings AND it’s got to somehow ping up as well as across - to clear the kerb on the bridge itself.

In any case, we should all be asking “What makes plod so sure that no third party was involved” and so soon?

Never doubt the reach of political interference.

Jesus Winseer mate, it must be a scary place inside your head!

the maoster:
Jesus Winseer mate, it must be a scary place inside your head!

I get scared, very bloody scared just reading his name on a post lol

R I P Driver however it happened

C’mon folks. One baby step at a time:

Reform One: “Getting rid of the verbosity”.

Let’s worry about actual content later on. :unamused:

the maoster:

That’s a bloody quick investigation !!!

Winseer:
A piece of concrete large enough here?

“A likely story” he thinks.

Just tell the police that the suspects are “out of reach because”… and they might well come up with a cover story like this. After all, we’ve had them pay £10,000 to a convicted paedo - so who knows what else they’ll attempt in the name of the “greater good”? :unamused:

I’d like to see demonstrations of “wheels attempting to flick up a piece about this size” to be less of a skeptic about all this. :neutral_face:

A glancing blow against a piece on the footpath going over the overbridge? What’s the vehicle doing on the pavement to hit it I might ask?
If it were actually in the road, down from the kerb - it’s going to be all the harder to “ping it sizeways, through the railings, down onto the motorway below” simply because the piece will likely be too big to fit through the railings AND it’s got to somehow ping up as well as across - to clear the kerb on the bridge itself.

In any case, we should all be asking “What makes plod so sure that no third party was involved” and so soon?

Never doubt the reach of political interference.

Not sure about political interference, but one wonders whether has been a budget led investigation !!

^^^ Same difference these days.

“Political” could refer to police cuts, orders from above “not to investigate suspects from any background that could be subject to cards being played”, or indeed just “we’re baffled, and don’t have a clue what to do about this… ongoingly” (Maybe Plod used to be an agency manager?)

The public are supposed to be encouraged to give intel to the police as much as possible, or perform public-spirited actions that don’t involve confrontation and violence.

When it comes down to it though, we’d ALL like to know surely - what exactly is going to be done to protect the next person that gets a missile hurled at them from a motorway bridge?
It’s been going on long enough. Breeze blocks should be as much cause for concern as tower blocks I’m suggesting here.

Another viewpoint. That bit of concrete would wedge nicely between the back tyres of a tipper wouldn’t it?
Bernard

albion1938:
Another viewpoint. That bit of concrete would wedge nicely between the back tyres of a tipper wouldn’t it?
Bernard

yes and when it decides to leave it will be at speed